Legal uniform numbers in college basketball

The rule actually exists in National Federation handbook, which Iowa complies with. It is the case that home team should be even, away team should be odd. Iowa just formally adopted this not too long ago, as most schools are still grandfathered in.

That is no longer a requirement.

Do the players still have to raise their hand after they've been whistled for a foul like we did back in the day? Was that even an official rule? I remember some refs would get pissy if you didn't raise your hand right away.

Do the players still have to raise their hand after they've been whistled for a foul like we did back in the day? Was that even an official rule? I remember some refs would get pissy if you didn't raise your hand right away.

They would would get real hissy if you raised your hand & you weren't the player they were calling the foul on. Even though you were the player that committed the foul!

They would would get real hissy if you raised your hand & you weren't the player they were calling the foul on. Even though you were the player that committed the foul!

If one of our guys was in foul trouble and I was remotely involved, I always tried to take the foul. Didn't work very often.

If one of our guys was in foul trouble and I was remotely involved, I always tried to take the foul. Didn't work very often.

Actually, it was required. They did away with it for several reasons. One of them was because of Stormin'. Also, not to confuse the official scorer. If the official scorer is supposed to look at the ref, it is sorta stupid to have a player raise his hand.

Of course I'm so old, I remember when you got a free throw for ever foul except offensive fouls. That's right, if you went up for a defensive rebound & were fouled, both teams went all the way to the other end of the court for one free throw.

I also remember the old NBA three-to-make-two rule. If Kobe was fouled attempting a shot & the Lakers were in the bonus, he would get three shots to make two.

The rule is not enforced during games Ed Hightower officiates, as he identifies players solely through frantic pointing.

I remember seeing a picture of all the retired Jersey's/Numbers at either Duke or North Carolina... Can't remember exactly, but there were so many. It made me wonder... What happens when they run out of numbers? Are they just going to stop retiring player's jerseys going forward or can they wear the number of a jersey that has been retired?

I guess I don't really know how that works.

Actually, it was required. They did away with it for several reasons. One of them was because of Stormin'. Also, not to confuse the official scorer. If the official scorer is supposed to look at the ref, it is sorta stupid to have a player raise his hand.

Of course I'm so old, I remember when you got a free throw for ever foul except offensive fouls. That's right, if you went up for a defensive rebound & were fouled, both teams went all the way to the other end of the court for one free throw.

I also remember the old NBA three-to-make-two rule. If Kobe was fouled attempting a shot & the Lakers were in the bonus, he would get three shots to make two.

You still shoot free throws if you are fouled going for a defensive rebound. The only fouls that are non shooting are player controll and team controll fouls. There is neither player nor team controll after a try on goal is released.

Correct you no longer have to raise your hand. In addition the "bird dog" mechanic in which you point one hand at the player with arm outstretched while the other arm goes straight up with a fist is no longer required. Some older officials still use it, and some officials use it when there is a crowd of players together so they don't loose the player they want.

You still shoot free throws if you are fouled going for a defensive rebound.

Not unless you are in the bonus. There are no longer one free throws except after a foul on a made field goal. It is either one-and-one or two free throws. Nobody attempts one free throw except on a made field goal.

Watch tonight's game, nobody will attempt a free throw unless fouled in the act of shooting or the team is in the bonus.

you mean every foul was worth one ft?

Yes. Every foul, except player control fouls, was worth at least one free-throw. I played under those rules in high school. The NBA used to be the same way.

Actually, what you see today is America adopting the international rules. High school & colleges went to the international rules sometime in the 70's.

Weird you mention the 1 foul shot rule. My daughter played in 5/6th grade basketball and some tournaments she played in still had that rule. All fouls got 1 free throw, even in the act of shooting. Now I know where that rule came from.

Good info Columbus, I learned something today. :D

I remember seeing a picture of all the retired Jersey's/Numbers at either Duke or North Carolina... Can't remember exactly, but there were so many. It made me wonder... What happens when they run out of numbers? Are they just going to stop retiring player's jerseys going forward or can they wear the number of a jersey that has been retired?I guess I don't really know how that works.

They don't retire the number they retire the Jersey.....

Weird you mention the 1 foul shot rule. My daughter played in 5/6th grade basketball and some tournaments she played in still had that rule. All fouls got 1 free throw, even in the act of shooting. Now I know where that rule came from.

Good info Columbus, I learned something today. :D

The NBA used to have many crazy rules. One of them was that a backcourt foul was worth two-free throws.

As an example, tonight, Iowa scores a bucket & goes into a full-court press. If Iowa fouls Nebraska in the back court, the Huskers get two-free throws. In addition, if Nebraska was in the bonus, the Huskers would get three-to-make-two.

The NBA used to have many crazy rules. One of them was that a backcourt foul was worth two-free throws.

As an example, tonight, Iowa scores a bucket & goes into a full-court press. If Iowa fouls Nebraska in the back court, the Huskers get two-free throws. In addition, if Nebraska was in the bonus, the Huskers would get three-to-make-two.

Wow, did not know that. Crazy.
Thanks for the info!

Latest posts