lebron is the greatest athlete ever

Your whole post is about running fast, that's awesome if someone is chasing you, but doesn't make you the best all around athlete. There are people who can run fast who aren't successful at any other athletic endeavor.

Read the whole thread. My response was related to earlier comments that listed how fast Duff felt Bron could run. :rolleyes:

I realize Duff was trolling, but thought it would be fun to respond.

I also get a kick out of people who actually think a basketball player could dominate most sports at the elite level.

Last edited:
Some of the Lebron haters on this thread are really kidding themselves.Wilt? Guy was an all-time great. But the league was way different back in his day, he didn't exactly dominate at his position for most of his career (Bill Russell), the NBA wasn't a major sport yet, and getting laid is not an athletic competition.Bo Jackson? Deion? 2 sport athletes are in the past and aren't coming back ever because of the incredible focus it takes to dominate in 1 sport. Only Deion is in the hall of fame of a sport professionally, in football only. Lebron already has a case at being one of the top 10 in his sport.And finally, the decathlon. Lebron couldn't compete in the games for a medal tomorrow. Is anyone outside the sport capable of that? Probably not. Give Lebron a year to get his body right, I bet you he would at least medal.

wilt dominated the sport of basketball...yes russell had the championships but wilt averaged a double double against russell. in fact i think he averaged something like 30 pts and 15 rebs.

jim brown is in 2 pro sport hall of fames (football and lacrosse).

again lebron is a great athlete but you cant compare across sports. people think he would be great in the nfl because he was great in hs football. really jake christenson was a great hs qb. each sport has their own unique needs to be good at them. i would love to see lebron get broken in half on a wrestling mat. or ray lewis drop him over the middle. if lebron was in the nfl with the way he is in the nba and whining about calls he would have to be a randy moss i only run 9 routes type. he isnt tough like calvin johnson and to to go over the middle.

basketball and track speed are completely different. heck football speed and track speed are completely different.

example: i teach math and i have my students look at comparing speed. we take bolt's 100 m time and determine his average speed for the race (in mph). then we took chris johnson's 40 time and calculate his average speed. it isnt even close bolt is like 3 or 4 mph faster. when i look at lebron there is actually 1 track event i see him actually doing well if he trained...discus...he is long armed and strong and it helps. and heck people think he can do well in a 400 m dash. in the olympics that is a sprint. those 400m guys are the best runners in the world. or someone saying well he could break 5 in a mile. good for him that is still 1 min slower than great milers.

Lebron might be in the conversation of best athlete if he ever competed in track or other sports. He isn't even the best BB player ever. Don't try to tell me he was better than Jordan. Jordan failed miserably as a baseball player. In ten years, another player will come along that will make you forget Lebron when age catches up to him.

Some of the Lebron haters on this thread are really kidding themselves.Wilt? Guy was an all-time great. But the league was way different back in his day, he didn't exactly dominate at his position for most of his career (Bill Russell), the NBA wasn't a major sport yet, and getting laid is not an athletic competition.Bo Jackson? Deion? 2 sport athletes are in the past and aren't coming back ever because of the incredible focus it takes to dominate in 1 sport. Only Deion is in the hall of fame of a sport professionally, in football only. Lebron already has a case at being one of the top 10 in his sport.And finally, the decathlon. Lebron couldn't compete in the games for a medal tomorrow. Is anyone outside the sport capable of that? Probably not. Give Lebron a year to get his body right, I bet you he would at least medal.
wilt dominated the sport of basketball...yes russell had the championships but wilt averaged a double double against russell. in fact i think he averaged something like 30 pts and 15 rebs.jim brown is in 2 pro sport hall of fames (football and lacrosse).again lebron is a great athlete but you cant compare across sports. people think he would be great in the nfl because he was great in hs football. really jake christenson was a great hs qb. each sport has their own unique needs to be good at them. i would love to see lebron get broken in half on a wrestling mat. or ray lewis drop him over the middle. if lebron was in the nfl with the way he is in the nba and whining about calls he would have to be a randy moss i only run 9 routes type. he isnt tough like calvin johnson and to to go over the middle.basketball and track speed are completely different. heck football speed and track speed are completely different.example: i teach math and i have my students look at comparing speed. we take bolt's 100 m time and determine his average speed for the race (in mph). then we took chris johnson's 40 time and calculate his average speed. it isnt even close bolt is like 3 or 4 mph faster. when i look at lebron there is actually 1 track event i see him actually doing well if he trained...discus...he is long armed and strong and it helps. and heck people think he can do well in a 400 m dash. in the olympics that is a sprint. those 400m guys are the best runners in the world. or someone saying well he could break 5 in a mile. good for him that is still 1 min slower than great milers.

I'm not really trolling. A strong case can be made for lebron being the best athlete ever. I don't think he could compete with the best milers, no one does, but I'm sure a five kin mile wouldn't totally embarrass himself in a wc decathaon. Obviously lebron would struggle in technique events like pole vault and discuss, but in events that rely on athleticism only, like the 100 and the long jump, he'll even the high jump, he'd accord himself well commingle in off the street.

I also laugh at the thought football is too tough for him. You people clearly don't realize how physical the nba is. Don't equate hitching about a call to softness. They are two different things. Ray Lewis would break him? Really? Lebron outweighs him by twenty pounds. I think he'd hold up fine in the NFL. I think if he concentrated on it like hes done the NBA he'd dominate. I don't think all NBA players would play in the NFL, but hes one.

Lastly people aren't amazed by lebron because they have no sense of history or what came before him. People are amazed at lebron because hes truly remarkable. There has never been an athlete that has possess his size, speed, and strength. Wilt was great but he couldn't play PG, lebron can. Jim Brown was great, but he was half a foot shorter and weighed 30 pounds less than lebron.

I'm not really trolling. A strong case can be made for lebron being the best athlete ever. I don't think he could compete with the best milers, no one does, but I'm sure a five kin mile wouldn't totally embarrass himself in a wc decathaon. Obviously lebron would struggle in technique events like pole vault and discuss, but in events that rely on athleticism only, like the 100 and the long jump, he'll even the high jump, he'd accord himself well commingle in off the street.

I also laugh at the thought football is too tough for him. You people clearly don't realize how physical the nba is. Don't equate hitching about a call to softness. They are two different things. Ray Lewis would break him? Really? Lebron outweighs him by twenty pounds. I think he'd hold up fine in the NFL. I think if he concentrated on it like hes done the NBA he'd dominate. I don't think all NBA players would play in the NFL, but hes one.

Lastly people aren't amazed by lebron because they have no sense of history or what came before him. People are amazed at lebron because hes truly remarkable. There has never been an athlete that has possess his size, speed, and strength. Wilt was great but he couldn't play PG, lebron can. Jim Brown was great, but he was half a foot shorter and weighed 30 pounds less than lebron.

Duff, please dude...Lebron is a better bballer than say Shawn Kemp, but he wasn’t a better athlete. Scottie Pippen wasn't as heavy but still a great athlete, Clyde Drexler, Xavier McDaniels...you are forgetting the litany of incredible 6-6 to 6-10 "athletes" that have played in the NBA. Hell Charles Barkley at 6-5 300 back in his round mound of rebound days could absolutely jump out of the sky……Lebron can’t out jump Chuck….

Lebron has honed his craft, but you aren’t going to convince anyone with historical perspective of all the great athletes in the world that Lebron is better than any of those others…its honestly a tick shocking to me that a guy that’s pretty sharp would try so hard to belabor a point, completely improvably, based on opinion, when there are literally hundreds of worth candidates.

you are probably the only person in the world who thinks shawn kemp is a better athlete than lebron.

athleticism is much more than verticle leap.

you are correct but to think he can run with world class runners or wrestle at that level or could he break par? or hit a 95 mph fastball or an 87 mph curve/slider. athleticism comes in many shapes. to say someone is the greatest athlete is to say they would be great at any sport. and he hasnt proven that. he has proven he is a great basketballer. that is it. some people proved they were like brown and thorpe and gibson.

some say the day of the 2 sport athlete is over. in hs that isnt and should never be true because kids should play multiple sports. but in pros i would say it never really was here. guys that played 2 pro sports are few and far between. you can basically count them on your fingers. those men proved it. when he proves it i will believe it.

btw size doesnt mean you are tough enough for football. bob sanders broke people in half that outweighed him. weight doesnt equate tough.

Nobody was harder than The Big Dipper, Atomic and don't forget this little accomplishment that will never be duplicated......

wilt_chamberlain_100points.jpg

Wilt scores 100 points in an NBA game.....

Of course he was from Phildelphia and played for the Philadelphia Warriors winning an NBA championship with the Warriors and again with the LA Lakers.....

His scoring 20,000 women is a feat that will never be duplicated, making him the greatest athletic ever.....

:D

Tiger might be able to get close

you are probably the only person in the world who thinks shawn kemp is a better athlete than lebron.

I doubt that….what I am is one of the few aware enuff to remember Kemp and all the fanfare about him being one of the best athletes ever. I also remember an announcer and then ultimately my friends talking about him and Clyde Drexler and Scottie Pippen and Michael Jordan being a great 4X400 meter relay team with practice. None of us were silly enuff to think any of them could run at the elite level for 100 or 200 and I assure you (though again we can’t prove it) all 4 could run base line to baseline faster than Lebron. They could all float in the air longer than Lebron and if memory serves Kemp was also very strong….

So in review, I take it as quite an honor you point out me mentioning Shawn Kemp. You’d have never thought of him…see Duff I don’t much care for the NBA anymore, but I do have a very good historical perspective of many, many different sports internationally and what makes a truly great all-around athlete and you are smoking a pipe here friend.

kemp was a freak of nature. in his prime he was lebron size and probably just as fast, could jump higher, and probably stronger or at least same strength. he couldnt shoot with lebron or dribble with him but he was the old version of a 4 and so he didnt have to.

kemp was a freak of nature. in his prime he was lebron size and probably just as fast, could jump higher, and probably stronger or at least same strength. he couldnt shoot with lebron or dribble with him but he was the old version of a 4 and so he didnt have to.

Thanks Foval....he was indeed freaky. Again "NOT" the bballer James is, but no chance Lebron could outjump or out run him.

shawn kemp was no where close to as strong as lebron. he was built like lamar odom. yes he could run and jump. he isn't even in the same category.

shawn kemp was no where close to as strong as lebron. he was built like lamar odom. yes he could run and jump. he isn't even in the same category.

While researching this, I did find a list on “bleacher report” (u know that great bastion of intellect) that has Lebron #1 on the NBA list and then it all came together for me. I’m done…if I found out someone on bleacher report agreed with me I’d change my vote…for the record they had Magic Johnson #2…….moving on……

Ps……if Kemp is faster and can jump higher but isn’t even close then I’d say we are dealing with a tick of irrationality. Kemp is widely considered by smart people to be one of the very best athletes to ever play “basketball”…we haven’t even attacked Dr. J, Dominique, Vince Carter, etc….your all wet and attacking an arguement that can’t be proved and therefore won and your are acting like you are an authority and the last word on the matter…..to which I say ppffffttttttt……

Last edited:
kemp was longer than lebron, I don't know he had a better verticle, I don't think he was faster either. regardless he doesn't even belong in the conversation. almost all unbalanced players are elite athletes but lebron is in a league of his own. he does things a man of his size has never done. he throws one handed baseball passes 90 feet on a dime for a dunk. he jumps over people, literally, and throws down an oop. he defends the strongest player on the other team. he defends the fastest player on the other team. he outmuscles the strongest defenders on the block, and runs around the fastest defender.

his combination of size, speed, agility, strength, quickness, and strength has never been seen before. if you don't realize he is a transcendent athlete than there is something wrong with you.

Latest posts