Leach Fired

After reading through many Texas Tech boards and reading many articles I've reached this conclusion:

Leach would not be fired if James' dad didn't work for BSPN.

That's not the point at all. What is important here is that he was in charge of young people, and when you are the teacher, as he was, you cannot repremant students that way, no matter what the age is. Whether this kid was a pain in the butt is irrelevant. A professor of chemistry at Texas Tech couldn't have done it and neither can a football coach.

+1, pretty simple really.

That's not the point at all. What is important here is that he was in charge of young people, and when you are the teacher, as he was, you cannot repremant students that way, no matter what the age is. Whether this kid was a pain in the butt is irrelevant. A professor of chemistry at Texas Tech couldn't have done it and neither can a football coach.

No, this is stupid. James is a whiny baby that told on his big bad coach to mommy and daddy and Leach even though he wasn't hurt at all and Leach got fired because of it. Even the Tech doctor said that it was the right thing to do to prevent injury. It's not like Leach locked him in a 4 by 4 cellar and left him there all night. I can't believe that this is what college football has come to, punishing coaches for being "tough" on players. Show me one coach in the nation that doesn't yell at his players or punish them for not performing. Just watching the Arizona/Nebraska game, both teams coaches are apaplectic on the sideline after anyone of their guys make a mistake. Do you want to fire them as well? You can't compare football to chemistry BTW.

No, this is stupid. James is a whiny baby that told on his big bad coach to mommy and daddy and Leach even though he wasn't hurt at all and Leach got fired because of it. Even the Tech doctor said that it was the right thing to do to prevent injury. It's not like Leach locked him in a 4 by 4 cellar and left him there all night. I can't believe that this is what college football has come to, punishing coaches for being "tough" on players. Show me one coach in the nation that doesn't yell at his players or punish them for not performing. Just watching the Arizona/Nebraska game, both teams coaches are apaplectic on the sideline after anyone of their guys make a mistake. Do you want to fire them as well? You can't compare football to chemistry BTW.

Okay......I am not comparing football to chemistry. The point (again), is that the adult in charge cannot lock up a student in a closet, room, shed, barn or any other dwelling. You do and you get fired. Whether the kid and/or parent is a pain doesn't matter at all. This isn't being tough on a player. This is highly inappropriate. I don't care if you yell at my kid or make him run laps or stairs, etc., but you're not going to contain my kid for hours like Leach did, especially if he were injured. Sorry.

Okay......I am not comparing football to chemistry. The point (again), is that the adult in charge cannot lock up a student in a closet, room, shed, barn or any other dwelling. You do and you get fired. Whether the kid and/or parent is a pain doesn't matter at all. This isn't being tough on a player. This is highly inappropriate. I don't care if you yell at my kid or make him run laps or stairs, etc., but you're not going to contain my kid for hours like Leach did, especially if he were injured. Sorry.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqvajnhZDU"]YouTube- Adam James Footage.mov[/ame]

This is a video Adam James took to use as evidence. I guarantee he was not locked up. There is no way that the trainers would have locked him up. He definitely took a video with the intent to bring down Leach. Until all of the other coaches and players and trainers and the other hundred of people that are at practice say he was locked up I do not believe it.

Last 3 things I have read said he was not actually LOCKED in anything.

ThunderHawk,
According to a NY Times article Leach will be paid the 800K

How dare you doubt the insight of.....que AC/DC guitar instrumental...

nah nah nah nah nah nah nah naaaaah....THUN-DER!

nah nah nah nah nah nah nah naaaaah....THUN-DER!

You've been Thun-der-struck!!!

Adam James seems amused to be in media room (mistakenly referred to as electrical room.) He reminds me of a spoiled rich kid being disciplined and rather than reflecting on why the coaches are in his grill and what he can do to improve his situation, he responds with a smirk and "oh, yeah" attitude.

His intention is clearly a continuation of "cat and mouse" with the only grown ups who seem to care about shaping his character and preparing him for manhood.

It sounds to me like this was a case of egos between Leach and the chancellor. The chancellor basically said Leach had a chance to tell his side of the story and said F-off I don't want to be second guessed. Who knows what really happened. Something is strange about this whole deal that is for sure. TT will be the loser in this one and not Leach. And I'm sure the James family is going to take a lot of heat as well.

It sounds to me like this was a case of egos between Leach and the chancellor. The chancellor basically said Leach had a chance to tell his side of the story and said F-off I don't want to be second guessed. Who knows what really happened. Something is strange about this whole deal that is for sure. TT will be the loser in this one and not Leach. And I'm sure the James family is going to take a lot of heat as well.

It's going to be interesting to see how the players treat James on and off the field. I'm really gathering based upon fans from their message boards and the past players that came to Leach's defense that he was a well liked coach. This can't go over well with the current players. I wonder if James will jump ship...

If James leaves, he is a freakin' coward. He made this bed, now he can sleep in it. He can feel good about winning this high stakes game of "cat and mouse." with the coaching staff. Craig James should be completely embarrassed about how he has led his family.

He wasn't in charge of young people. He was in charge of a young adult who chose to subject himself to the college football culture. A culture where practices like this aren't uncommon. What's important here is that the individual wasn't forced to do anything. He could quit at any time. He wasn't locked in. He wasn't in danger. He wasn't being subjected to any kind of physical or even psychological harm.

That is where it becomes apples and oranges. A professor couldn't do something like this because it's not part of the culture. In football, things like this are very much part of the culture.

And, in fact, if you read the comments from Leach's lawyers, it sounds very much like Leach had the kids health and interest at heart providing him a trainer and ice and a cool place to stay.

So, it kind of depends on the facts here. But even worst case scenario...this didn't warrant firing.

yeah its always in the best interests of a concussion victim to not be allowed to sit down.

Im guessing the truth in this story includes a little bit of the following truths..

Craig James is a little over involved
his kid, raised rich, is a tad soft
Leach is an ego maniac, like many succesful football coaches

Last edited:
Somewhat unfounded reports from the Texas Tech scout board saying the Sherman at Texas A&M is considering bringing Leach aboard...

As a Leach fan, nothing would please me more than for him to go somewhere next year where he could come back to Lubbock and stomp a mudhole in the Red Raiders.

Somewhat unfounded reports from the Texas Tech scout board saying the Sherman at Texas A&M is considering bringing Leach aboard...

As a Leach fan, nothing would please me more than for him to go somewhere next year where he could come back to Lubbock and stomp a mudhole in the Red Raiders.

The thing is though you have to feel for the fans. This is an issue between Leach and T-Tech's administration. Him going to A&M is only going to hurt the fans more. I think Leach would be better served to jump to a team in another conference.

The thing is though you have to feel for the fans. This is an issue between Leach and T-Tech's administration. Him going to A&M is only going to hurt the fans more. I think Leach would be better served to jump to a team in another conference.

It's funny...some of the Tech fans actually share my views. I'm sure that's just the vocal minority, but I think they are still in shock/meltdown mode. Who knows what a cool-off period of 48-72 hours will do...or even more.

Although to that point...there is a Lubbock radio/tv (?) station that has a poll posted.

Do you agree with Mike Leach's dismissal as head coach of Texas Tech?
No - 91%
Yes - 9%

You'd be hard-pressed to find a more overwhelming majority in any poll anywhere...

Wow, that's weird. Just by grazing over their message boards you get the feeling most fans were against the firing. Interesting.

Allow me to be the first to nominate Leach for Iowa OC.

Second, ESPN should not allow Craig James to "plead" his case on SportsCenter, especially if there are still legal proceedings that need to be sorted out.

Latest posts