Leach Fired

This all goes back to how kids are taught in school the last 15 or so years. Hear me out. Now I know child abuse and that kind of stuff is a very serious issue, but in the last few years schools have been preaching to kids that if ANYTHING ever happens to them what-so-ever they need to tell their teacher, principal, whatever. If a kid gets smacked in the rear end for doing something wrong all they need to do is tell their teacher and DHS is all over the parents like stink on poo.

So this attitude gets drug out to college. A coach tries to put some tough love on a kid and they get fired when the kid turns them in for being to rough. Look what Knight did some times, in this day and age he would of been fired over and over. It's getting out of hand.

Child abuse is very serious, and teachers are required by law to inform the appropriate people of suspected abuse. It is the law, and if they do not do so, they will get sued and/or fired if something were to happen to a child.

However, as a teacher I can tell you the most frustrating thing in education outside of NCLB, is the spoiled and entitled attitude I have to deal with on a daily basis. I won't say anything more because I get really fired up on this issue, but I will say that if I locked a kid in his cubby because I thought his/her effort was poor or if I thought his/her attitude wasn't acceptable, you can bet you'd be hearing about it on the news. I would be sued and fired, and rightly so. I am the adult and I have to deal with these things every day in a respectable manner. If Mike Leach didn't like how this kid was acting, and communication with his parents didn't help matters, there has to be written protocal on how Texas Tech deals with athlete misbehavior and I'm sure putting the kid in the room isn't on the list. I'd bet my house on it.

Last edited:
However, as a teacher I can tell you the most frustrating thing in education outside of NCLB, is the spoiled and entitiled attitude I have to deal with on a daily basis.

Yeah, and as much as I like to trash on the public school system when it deserves it I think it's unfair to pin spoiled and entitled attitude specifically on the school system...this is a much larger social phenomenon that is being ingrained in the home environments as well.

Although, I do think the public school system has been the primary vehicle for it spreading, no fault of yours or other fine teachers that are still out there.

What are the head coach openings right now? I can't think of any of the top of my head

If I were him I'd take TT to the cleaners. Then I would go be a OC at a big time school until a really good job opens up

According to Rivals:
Central Michigan is the only FBS HC opening right now - aside from Tech, of course.

TX Tech has to have something more than the Adam James situation as to why they need to fire Leach with cause. When Lane Kiffin got the axe from the Raiders, Emperor Palpatine, er, Al Davis had a bunch of documents showing why he felt Kiffin violated his terms of his contract.

Leach and Tech officials were about to enter court for a TRO of his suspension to allow him to coach the Valero Alamo Bowl. Instead, TT gave Leach's attorney a letter of termination. Tech wants to get out of the contract that was signed last summer. They want to not pay Leach a penny. Of course, Leach and his attorney are going to try to prove Tech acted in haste and with malice to fire him and try to get all of the money in the contract, not just the $400,000/year buy out or the $800,000 retention bonus, but the entire $12.75M.

An excerpt from a Fox Sports article...

Several former and current Texas Tech players and coaches defended Leach and harshly criticized James' work ethic in e-mails obtained by CBSSports.com.

Among those were former Texas Tech wide receiver Eric Morris, who wrote that James was "never known as a hard worker" and "seemed to have a negative attitude toward the football program the majority of the time."

Morris told The Associated Press on Wednesday the letters were written as school administrators began looking into the incident, before Leach was suspended. Morris said they wanted to show their support for Leach and show James' possible motives.

Morris said he spoke with Leach as the incident began unfolding.

"He told me he would never do anything" to harm a player, Morris said. "He was trying to hold someone accountable."

Child abuse is very serious, and teachers are required by law to inform the appropriate people of suspected abuse. It is the law, and if they do not do so, they will get sued and/or fired if something were to happen to a child.

However, as a teacher I can tell you the most frustrating thing in education outside of NCLB, is the spoiled and entitled attitude I have to deal with on a daily basis. I won't say anything more because I get really fired up on this issue, but I will say that if I locked a kid in his cubby because I thought his/her effort was poor or if I thought his/her attitude wasn't acceptable, you can bet you'd be hearing about it on the news. I would be sued and fired, and rightly so. I am the adult and I have to deal with these things every day in a respectable manner. If Mike Leach didn't like how this kid was acting, and communication with his parents didn't help matters, there has to be written protocal on how Texas Tech deals with athlete misbehavior and I'm sure putting the kid in the room isn't on the list. I'd bet my house on it.

I see your point but a minor child is a little different then someone who is considered an adult, apples to oranges.

Not looking good for Texas Tech look at these emails from former players, a former coach, and current coaches.

LINK

I see your point but a minor child is a little different then someone who is considered an adult, apples to oranges.

Not looking good for Texas Tech look at these emails from former players, a former coach, and current coaches.

LINK

That's not the point at all. What is important here is that he was in charge of young people, and when you are the teacher, as he was, you cannot repremant students that way, no matter what the age is. Whether this kid was a pain in the butt is irrelevant. A professor of chemistry at Texas Tech couldn't have done it and neither can a football coach.

Oh man that one link above has a link to the James' families phones and addresses and they are sending the hate mail.

Some current players are quoted as backing James and talking about how good it feels that Leach is gone. I think it will be uncomfortable for James though.

Latest posts