Last Two Home Games

hawks23

What will it take to get the crowd into the last two home games? Wisconsin and Indiana shouldn't be any problem to have a great home environment for our 1st place team. Take care of business at home and split the away games remaining. We are in good shape to win the Big 10.

Not trying to start another thread about the students moving. Any ideas to get the crowd into the game for these last two? Shouldn't need it, but it seems we do. We create a great advantage for our home football games and would like to see the same for basketball. Maybe it is easier for football with defense/offense plays, but I want a pulse to be at Carver Hawkeye Wednesday and next Tuesday. Both late games at 8 pm.

I'm going to both games for anyone that wants to say that you have to be at games to comment on crowds. First games of the year. I just hate the fact that I'm actually worrying about people not wanting to stand up and cheer for a 1st place team against Wisconsin and Indiana.

The hawks nest tweeted about some changes planned for Wednesdays game. I have no idea what that means though. Maybe free tickets for students or something?

I still find crowd noise completely overrated though. When iowa played at Penn state last week the crowd sounded very loud and they only had like 500 people at the game. It's all a matter of where the tv feeds are coming from.

I'm not saying carver is loud and the student attendance is acceptable by any means....I just think it's deceptive

Also, people obviously think hilton has louder and better fans than carver but they lost two home games this year already. It's impossible for iowa to do worse than that.

Good point on ISU losses. I think the crowd is minimal, but it does affect the game. May be as little as the other team coming down and shooting a quick shot trying to silence the crowd instead of running offense.

I still find crowd noise completely overrated though. When iowa played at Penn state last week the crowd sounded very loud and they only had like 500 people at the game. It's all a matter of where the tv feeds are coming from.

I'm not saying carver is loud and the student attendance is acceptable by any means....I just think it's deceptive

Also, people obviously think hilton has louder and better fans than carver but they lost two home games this year already. It's impossible for iowa to do worse than that.

ISU has a nationally known name for their home court advantage. Just because this one season they happen to have more home losses doesn't mean anything. Most ISU teams throughout the years have great home records because of their crowd and not so good away records.

Our fan base is miserable and terrified for all but very special occasions ( big ten championship game is an example of when we were cool and fun) Carver will probably be loud (especially for Indiana. That may be a championship game) but the minute we fall behind there will be nervous, pee your pants silence. We're like Cubs fans like that.

This team doesn't need a home crowd to win...or get motivated. They lost their edge. If they regain it they will win the last 4 games. If they come out of this break playing the way they were going into it then they will likely win the 2 home games and play 2 games on the road that could go either way.

What will it take to get the crowd into the last two home games? Wisconsin and Indiana shouldn't be any problem to have a great home environment for our 1st place team. Take care of business at home and split the away games remaining. We are in good shape to win the Big 10.

Not trying to start another thread about the students moving. Any ideas to get the crowd into the game for these last two? Shouldn't need it, but it seems we do. We create a great advantage for our home football games and would like to see the same for basketball. Maybe it is easier for football with defense/offense plays, but I want a pulse to be at Carver Hawkeye Wednesday and next Tuesday. Both late games at 8 pm.

I'm going to both games for anyone that wants to say that you have to be at games to comment on crowds. First games of the year. I just hate the fact that I'm actually worrying about people not wanting to stand up and cheer for a 1st place team against Wisconsin and Indiana.

Have Jack Daniels and beer sales starting about 3 hours prior to tip off. Nothing like a house full of drunken blue hairs to light up the place! Oh, and take away all I-phones etc. at the entrances so half the crowd isn't texting and sending selfies for 3/4 ths of the game.

I was at Hilton 2 years ago for the last Hawkeye visit there. I can say first hand the crowd affected the game. When Gessel was at the line at the end, it was so loud my ears hurt and the rim was definitely moving. And I was near the top, I can't imagine what it would have been like on the floor, students in the background, rim moving around. Not trying to make excuses for the missed free throws but it was pretty dang tough. I've been to Allen Fieldhouse a few times and Ames that night was the loudest I"ve ever heard an arena.

ISU has a nationally known name for their home court advantage. Just because this one season they happen to have more home losses doesn't mean anything. Most ISU teams throughout the years have great home records because of their crowd and not so good away records.

carver was pretty loud for the Michigan state game this year. Also the breslin center was extremely loud when iowa destroyed them. Didn't seem to matter either way

Players struggle on the road for a variety of factors...different arena, travel, hotels, busses, different locker rooms, etc. The crowd is probably one of the least reasons.

carver was pretty loud for the Michigan state game this year. Also the breslin center was extremely loud when iowa destroyed them. Didn't seem to matter either way

Players struggle on the road for a variety of factors...different arena, travel, hotels, busses, different locker rooms, etc. The crowd is probably one of the least reasons.

I'm not trying to say the home crowd wins every game. Of course there are games where the crowd doesn't affect the game enough to get the win. It does make a difference tho. Especially the "boo the refs" crowds that pressure the refs to make some calls in the home team's favor.

I'm not trying to say the home crowd wins every game. Of course there are games where the crowd doesn't affect the game enough to get the win. It does make a difference tho. Especially the "boo the refs" crowds that pressure the refs to make some calls in the home team's favor.

I would hope a ref wouldn't be swayed by something so shallow. Maybe Ed Hightower was, but he was a joke. Also, if you believe refs can be swayed by crowds, don't you think sometimes the ref would go opposite and go into FU mode and make more calls against the home team since the fans are booing them? Penn State had how many fouls called against them against Iowa last week? It was a TON. Either way, any ref that could be influenced by the crowd should not be reffing big time basketball.

Also,
Iowa blows a 20 point lead @ISU and everyone credits "Hilton Magic"
Iowa erases a 19 point deficit @Purdue and wins by 7 and nobody says anything

Iowa blows out MSU home and away.

I just don't think there's strong evidence (if any at all) that crowd factors into games as much as they like to think they do.

I would hope a ref wouldn't be swayed by something so shallow. Maybe Ed Hightower was, but he was a joke. Also, if you believe refs can be swayed by crowds, don't you think sometimes the ref would go opposite and go into FU mode and make more calls against the home team since the fans are booing them? Penn State had how many fouls called against them against Iowa last week? It was a TON. Either way, any ref that could be influenced by the crowd should not be reffing big time basketball.

Also,

I just don't think there's strong evidence (if any at all) that crowd factors into games as much as they like to think they do.

I think at places with a great environment refs tend to make calls for the home team. I'm sure statistics back it up. Penn State did not have a good environment so I doubt the refs were concerned over a couple thousand people booing them.

I just don't think there's strong evidence (if any at all) that crowd factors into games as much as they like to think they do.[/QUOTE said:
Generally the home team gets a few points in regards to vegas betting lines so I would say that we have some evidence that supports that crowds matter in some cases. It also has to do with not traveling, familiar arena, etc. Since we are undefeated at home, I would say these factors play into it more than the actual crowd which would support your case.

I still believe the crowd matters and is hard to make me believe it doesn't affect parts of the game. Especially when your on defense. Intensity picks up when you have thousands of people cheering behind you. Can give team extra energy.

Well the Vegas thing is proven and pretty obvious...teams win more at home. My point is that its hardly due to the crowd, its due to the other factors like the team practicing on their home court more often, staying in their routine, not flying/busing to destinations, meal patterns, pregame patterns, etc.

Maybe in some cases a crowd can get into an opponents head by taunting them, but I doubt it. Did Spike Lee get into Reggie Millers head or did Reggie Miller use that to fuel his outburst? Or was it simply that Reggie Miller was an unbelievable shooter and the Spike Lee footnote just made for a better story? My bet is on the last one.

Also,

Been to Hilton a few times this year. The refs are absolutely swayed by the crowd. I hate to say it, but it's true. The first half of the WVU game the crowd was going bananas over every Niang travel call or anything else that went against them. The second half the fouls at one point were like 12-3. ISU got everything. It didn't help, they still lost, but the refs kept it closer than it should have been.

As I have said on here a few thousand times. The crowd is least of the reasons why home teams win. It has much more to do with being at home and in your routine than getting pumped up by an energetic crowd. It is just very hard for some fans to realize they have little to no effect on the outcome of a game.

As I have said on here a few thousand times. The crowd is least of the reasons why home teams win. It has much more to do with being at home and in your routine than getting pumped up by an energetic crowd. It is just very hard for some fans to realize they have little to no effect on the outcome of a game.

Exactly! One of the problems of Sr. night is that it screws up every player's routine. If you ever played ball in high school and/or college Sr. night is a pain in the ***. It screws up every player's routine.

I think the crowd will be fine.

If you want it to be more fine, you need to redo carver hawkeye arena and have the college students care a lot more.

Latest posts