Last Two Home Games

As I have said on here a few thousand times. The crowd is least of the reasons why home teams win. It has much more to do with being at home and in your routine than getting pumped up by an energetic crowd. It is just very hard for some fans to realize they have little to no effect on the outcome of a game.

Show me research that proves this because everything I have read to this point suggest that the crowd noise does have an impact on the game.

crowd noise does seem to effect things like communication. It'd be tough to quantify things like "does a loud crowd rattle a player" or "does it pump a player up" and what effect that may have on a game. It does seem like regardless of sport though, hone teams have success typically regardless of home or away. I bet women's basketball has a similar ratio to men's hoops as far as home vs away success and most women's crowds aren't as boisterous as men's.

I think the crowd will be fine.

If you want it to be more fine, you need to redo carver hawkeye arena and have the college students care a lot more.

Should we move the students around the floor though? A DISCUSSION MUST BE HAD!!!!

Show me research that proves this because everything I have read to this point suggest that the crowd noise does have an impact on the game.
Like I told you last time, I find the research you sited invalid. It is just as likely that a winning team causes a rowdy crowd as a rowdy crowd causes a team to win more.

People that don't think players feed off the crowd either never played sports or have a bad memory. Why do players always try to get the crowd going for big plays if the crowd doesn't matter?

People that don't think players feed off the crowd either never played sports or have a bad memory. Why do players always try to get the crowd going for big plays if the crowd doesn't matter?
I played in college. I remember it well. After the opening tip went up, I rarely even heard the crowd. I was focused on other things.

I played in college. I remember it well. After the opening tip went up, I rarely even heard the crowd. I was focused on other things.

I stand corrected then. Weird that players try to get fans to make noise when they can't even hear them tho.

My guess is that the current generation of players do that because they are the product of helicopter parenting and are in constant need of reasurance, but that is only a guess.:rolleyes:

Eh, I've heard plenty of old *** players talk about how hard a building is to play in because of the crowd.

Good point Sioux. Doesn't anyone remember what it was like? Once play was started I was the same way. Do your job and all you heard was the coach. No crowd at all

Good point Sioux. Doesn't anyone remember what it was like? Once play was started I was the same way. Do your job and all you heard was the coach. No crowd at all

It's humanly impossible to not hear thousands of people yelling but single out one guy's voice.

Eh, I've heard plenty of old *** players talk about how hard a building is to play in because of the crowd.

Yes, the older players. I firmly believe that the crowds in Carver were far better 20-30 years ago when those guys played there.

The place can be loud when the crowd gives a rip.

My guess is that the current generation of players do that because they are the product of helicopter parenting and are in constant need of reasurance, but that is only a guess.:rolleyes:

I remember Chris Street doing it - waving his arms trying to get the crowd into it.

As a player, I'm sure every one of Sioux's coaches told him, over and over, block out the crowd and stay focused. It was ingrained into him as one aspect of successful execution and performance. For him to think it did not affect him would be a natural, conscious assessment. To think otherwise would be like saying you weren't able to completely do your job as a player.

Not a knock on Sioux, or, any high level player, for that matter. He's right to say it didn't affect him to the extreme many try to make it out to be. At the same time, and this goes for any player or performer, he's minimizing it's impact because he was coached to try to not allow it to affect him.

There is no doubt the crowd has an impact on the atmosphere and that energy has an impact - consciously or subconsciously - on officiating, player performance and composure. The only debate comes down to how noticeable or subtle it is.

I think Carver should have a special section for the knitting ladies! Maybe the previous post about the cellphones was on to something though. Seems like folks are more interested in that than the games sometimes. I actually took a picture out at the Rose Bowl during pre-game stuff and noticed that the majority of the crowd in that picture were on their phones! (I understand that I technically was as well)

As I have said on here a few thousand times. The crowd is least of the reasons why home teams win. It has much more to do with being at home and in your routine than getting pumped up by an energetic crowd. It is just very hard for some fans to realize they have little to no effect on the outcome of a game.

Don't underestimate the environment. I always found shooting to be difficult with different lighting, which explains why most teams shoot better at home than on the road. Yeah, the rim is 10 feet from the floor and 4 feet out from the baseline... but with different lighting patterns the shadows look different, with different lighting types the shadows look different. All things are important to shooters.

Some players do. Some don't. When I played, pretty much all I heard when I was on the court was my teammates and the coach. Never really heard the crowd. When you're playing in a packed Knights Gymnasium against arch-rival Luther (that game was always SRO), the crowd noise was definitely there ... the entire game. We had a loud court during warmups.

Agreed knight, both the lighting and the background visible behind the hoop play a large part in why players shoot a lower percentage in the road. Both are a larger factor than crowd noise in my experience.

Latest posts