Larson Gone

Any chance his off the court problems had anything to do with this? Fran Possibly encouraging him to be released and let him explore his options?

Any chance his off the court problems had anything to do with this? Fran Possibly encouraging him to be released and let him explore his options?
This would be quite a surprise if Fran asked him to consider leaving. I think Larson is leaving on his own terms.

I doubt that was the case. Though if it were perhaps it would make us fans feel better about our program, I doubt it was a character issue that resulted in a mutual parting.

More likely he was committed more to the staff than the school. Now has other options/ideas and is exploring them.

I doubt that was the case. Though if it were perhaps it would make us fans feel better about our program, I doubt it was a character issue that resulted in a mutual parting.

More likely he was committed more to the staff than the school. Now has other options/ideas and is exploring them.
Its karma for getting CJ fron Illinois.

Sounds like he was more committed to Lick than Iowa.

Agree...most recruits go to a school because of the coach...not the school. There are exceptions of course.

It is not unusual to have an incoming recruit leave after a coaching change.

Coach McCaffery needs to get his staff hired and start aggressively recruiting. That is the only way the Hawkeye basketball program is going to get turned around.

Fran McCaffery has to hire a solid coaching staff with established recruiters (IMO something that didn't in either of the past two coaching hires). I could care less about having a former Hawkeye player on staff. I would much rather Iowa spend more money to have a top-notch staff than feel good that some ex-Hawk without big-time recruiting experience getting hired for one of these crucial positions.

My thing is if he wanted to come to Iowa because of Lick being a big man at 6'9, he must of only wanted to set screens his whole career or come to Iowa and transfer out in 2 years. I dont know much about his crime but wasnt it a drug conviction? Couldnt that jeopardize going out of state if he put on probation? I just cant see why he was so excited to play for Licks style.

There's a new guy in town. I'd rather he clean house now than wait a year or two and have players that don't fit his style of play. Larson sounds like a good recruit, but this too shall pass.

I'm surprised, in that his talents would seem more suited to Coach Caf's brand of basketball.
Tough loss, but that's an available scholarship. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go JUCO for some immediate help inside. We'll need it.

Larson was Licks earliest recruit for this class.

He's had a lot of growth and more time to regret his decision than the other recruits.

I thought all along keeping 2-3 of the 4 recruits would be an ok result and anything more would be butter on the bread. Larson had very little ties to Iowa and I do not blame him for wanting to make a change. That being said, he and Brust are the 2 that i would like to keep the most. You lose 20+ games, have the 3 year worst run in Iowa history and fire a coach there is no way that any of this is on Fran if they do not stay. Keep going coach.

The other comment I have is how many Big Ten caliber players are left to out there to recruit for next year? My guess is not many and we are not the only ones looking. :(

I wonder if Larson had even met Lickliter in person? Somebody tell Larson that there is a good chance Walthall will be retained. He seemed to be the only one recruiting under Lickliter's watch.

Latest posts