Lainez

Hawkfnntn

I feel like the dude all but wasted a year. Taking 2nd string/scout team reps most of the year when he coulda/shoulda been starting at least the last 2 or 3 games. Had he been given the 1st team practice reps the last 2 months and played some the previous few games how much different would he have looked yesterday had he started it? Just a crazy hypothetical I know but man having a mobile QB changes everything.

He wouldn't have needed to have the ever so complicated playbook memorized from cover to cover to play. We don't even run but the same shit situationally all the time anyway. Just sucks that KF and BF are so damn stubborn and wrong about how they handle the QB position. They acted as though they owe something to Hill to not yank him or continue to start him all yr. When no they shouldn't. By their own objective measure he's a turnover machine and a terrible QB. He's even worse then Petras was and that's saying something. Hill just had no business playing at all. He's not a D1 qb and he showed that every outing he was out there. There's lots of 6'3 250 plus guys that can throw hard. But that's literally all he can do.

Feel bad for Lainez it's not his fault the staff is such idiots and don't know how to handle a QB room. He coulda actually had a half a chance to do something this season if so. Now it's just a huge what if with question marks all over the place for how this next OC will handle things. I can't see any outside OC handling things this way or having had a similar mindset as them.

All I know is the #2 qb next yr needs to be ready to play. Cade is damaged goods and nobody should count on him for 10 plus starts next yr. And the #2 guy can't be Hill. It just can't

I feel like the dude all but wasted a year. Taking 2nd string/scout team reps most of the year when he coulda/shoulda been starting at least the last 2 or 3 games. Had he been given the 1st team practice reps the last 2 months and played some the previous few games how much different would he have looked yesterday had he started it? Just a crazy hypothetical I know but man having a mobile QB changes everything.

He wouldn't have needed to have the ever so complicated playbook memorized from cover to cover to play. We don't even run but the same shit situationally all the time anyway. Just sucks that KF and BF are so damn stubborn and wrong about how they handle the QB position. They acted as though they owe something to Hill to not yank him or continue to start him all yr. When no they shouldn't. By their own objective measure he's a turnover machine and a terrible QB. He's even worse then Petras was and that's saying something. Hill just had no business playing at all. He's not a D1 qb and he showed that every outing he was out there. There's lots of 6'3 250 plus guys that can throw hard. But that's literally all he can do.

Feel bad for Lainez it's not his fault the staff is such idiots and don't know how to handle a QB room. He coulda actually had a half a chance to do something this season if so. Now it's just a huge what if with question marks all over the place for how this next OC will handle things. I can't see any outside OC handling things this way or having had a similar mindset as them.

All I know is the #2 qb next yr needs to be ready to play. Cade is damaged goods and nobody should count on him for 10 plus starts next yr. And the #2 guy can't be Hill. It just can't
Your last three sentences really cut to the chase. We all need to understand those facts.

Marco got a lot of praise sung his way on the Corey and Don Patterson Podcast. Although I do agree with Corey, he was put in a bad situation....so you can't really measure how good of a thrower he is......we also don't have near enough data to say the future is ok there. That is Kirk and Brian's fault ulitmately in not giving him game reps. We also don't have enough data to see how well he makes decisions.

The one thing I did get out of his limited playing time yesterday....he is faster, thinner, and more moblie than Hill. But, if he can't throw the ball, he can't run all the time....he is going to get hurt as well. Hopefully, Marco is not one dimensional in the sense he can run, but he can't throw.....kind of the opposite problem of the other QBs at Iowa.

My point is here, we need to see more from him. And he is still working under the umbrella of this staff.

Marco got a lot of praise sung his way on the Corey and Don Patterson Podcast. Although I do agree with Corey, he was put in a bad situation....so you can't really measure how good of a thrower he is......we also don't have near enough data to say the future is ok there. That is Kirk and Brian's fault ulitmately in not giving him game reps. We also don't have enough data to see how well he makes decisions.

The one thing I did get out of his limited playing time yesterday....he is faster, thinner, and more moblie than Hill. But, if he can't throw the ball, he can't run all the time....he is going to get hurt as well. Hopefully, Marco is not one dimensional in the sense he can run, but he can't throw.....kind of the opposite problem of the other QBs at Iowa.

My point is here, we need to see more from him. And he is still working under the umbrella of this staff.
I agree. That's the thing about all this the staff just mishandled everything about this. Had he been taking snaps and reps with the 1s and had a plan to put him in some games leading up to this we'd have a better understanding of what he can do throwing the ball. And by we I mean not just us but the coaches.

Instead the coaches want to just ride with the 1st team guy till we have a situation like yesterday happen then throw the other kid in with damn near zero prep for it. How fair is that to him to put him? It was a beyond terrible situation that we all could see coming. Lot's of us knew there was a better chance of Hill playing like that then him playing well. And that's me being nice about it.

I agree. That's the thing about all this the staff just mishandled everything about this. Had he been taking snaps and reps with the 1s and had a plan to put him in some games leading up to this we'd have a better understanding of what he can do throwing the ball. And by we I mean not just us but the coaches.

Instead the coaches want to just ride with the 1st team guy till we have a situation like yesterday happen then throw the other kid in with damn near zero prep for it. How fair is that to him to put him? It was a beyond terrible situation that we all could see coming. Lot's of us knew there was a better chance of Hill playing like that then him playing well. And that's me being nice about it.
Agreed.

Living in the SE I've seen a fair amount of QB roulette at Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, et al.
Sweeney, Saban and Smart are not afraid to pull the starting QB, even in critical games with much more riding on the line than whether we beat Northwestern.
They are successful.
How many games have we watched a QB struggle terribly, and never give the backup a single snap?

It was fun when Marco came in. He absolutely is the 2nd string Qb. If you look at his high school completion percentage not too much to worry about passing wise at this point BUT we need more than Brown and Lachey to catch passes. Get the OC hired and let’s go!!

More promise in 4 plays than hill all f’’’’ing year. Offensive incompetence as usual per ferentz’.

Fellas…

Let’s be real here for a moment, shall we???

After what Brain and Kurt did to him this year, ain’t no WAY Marco is going to sit on the bench another 365 days watching McNamara throw 2 picks a game and get sacked 7 times because he can’t scramble.

Lainez is gonna hit the portal and we all know it.

Good god, boys…you’re acting like nebraska fans. Snap out of it.

Living in the SE I've seen a fair amount of QB roulette at Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, et al.
Sweeney, Saban and Smart are not afraid to pull the starting QB, even in critical games with much more riding on the line than whether we beat Northwestern.
They are successful.
How many games have we watched a QB struggle terribly, and never give the backup a single snap?
Almost every game since CJB graduated. My son was in elementary school then and he’s taking college visits now.

I was going to start a thread about Lainez.

After McNamara went down he should have been starting since that time basically for two reasons. 1) To develop a young QB. 2) The ceiling on Lainez with his running ability threat is much greater than with Hill. Hill is pretty much at his ceiling.

All we heard all year is that they were going with the QB who provided the best ball security to be a game manager pretty much. Well Hill had 11 ints and 8 fumbles in 8 games starting. 19 turnovers in 8 games!! How the hell did no other QB's get reps or time?

Iowa was already pretty much dead last in total offense the last two seasons. Hill was limited besides his arm strength. Hill never really turned out to be accurate enough to set him apart. So, why the hell not go with the younger player with the higher ceiling and develop him if the results are going to be similar, and in addition, Hill had the problems with turnovers that would not have been any worse with a young player developing!

Lainez proved his running could be effective. I realize it was in junk time and that helped him produce but I also have to think that option could have fared better keeping D's honest during the season. Also, if given the chance during the season, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have had happy feet as much by the bowl game and prob go thru his progressions/reads better as well as have developed some connection and timing with the WR's. I think his accuracy would have gotten better over the course of the season and he wouldn't have been as quick to take off running.

They could have gone into this next season with a young player with experience who could provide competition in the QB room while also having a good chance to win the job next season. Not a bad situation. That is what you always want to start the season, good QB's pushing each other for the job.

Now what do you have? You have a fledgling QB with limitations who is at his ceiling now along with young QB's who don't really have any significant game experience. It didn't have to be this way. I think it was mismanaged.

For some reason, Lainez just looked more the part when he was in, IMO. His mobility definitely would have been more of an advantage.

Last edited:

True but ya went with a QB who is non-mobile and is a statue back there. He has just as much chance as getting hurt. He also proved to lose the ball getting hit in the pocket so TO were an issue.

I guess you pick your poison. Mobile QB's can be taught to protect themselves and still be effective. At least it can buy time on plays. Hill could not.

Hopefully he will be #2 coming out of spring ball. His mobility can be a real asset. In the future I hope he can use his mobility to look downfield to find receivers with an occasional run. QB's that run all the time tend to have a hard time staying healthy.

But you could see in limited action how much more he brings to the game over Deacon. It will take some time but I think his passing game will come along and be fine.

Hopefully he will be #2 coming out of spring ball. His mobility can be a real asset. In the future I hope he can use his mobility to look downfield to find receivers with an occasional run. QB's that run all the time tend to have a hard time staying healthy.

But you could see in limited action how much more he brings to the game over Deacon. It will take some time but I think his passing game will come along and be fine.
Don't you think it would have progressed over the course of a season? I also think his timing with the receivers would have gotten better. I think they should have taken that chance with the last place offense in the NCAA. They should have rolled the dice because the outcome wouldn't have been any worse with more of an upside chance.

Will Cade be sidelined for Spring Ball? I'm guessing so. Should give Lainez lots of snaps.

Fellas…

Let’s be freakin real here for a moment, shall we???

After what Brain and Kurt did to him this year, ain’t no WAY Marco is going to sit on the bench another 365 days watching McNamara throw 2 picks a game and get sacked 7 times because he can’t scramble.

Lainez is gonna hit the portal and we all know it.

Good god, boys…you’re acting like nebraska fans. Snap out of it.
You may well be right. I would add that we don’t know anything about the behind the curtain conversation between the coaches and Marco. NIL? Clear path for him outlined?Or, I suppose, the staff could be fine with him entering the portal. We shall see.

Those suggesting that they know this kid will portal out are just citing to what they think will happen given their constantly negative framing of Iowa football.

Could he transfer? Sure.

But, if the new OC says that it is open competition and he beats out Deacon in the Spring (and that better happen), then he knows he is the back-up to a starter with a glass jaw. So, he likely gets PT next year due to injury, or if not, he starts as a redshirt junior. Where in major college football is he going to go with a better PT situation than that? Everywhere he transfers to will have the same level of competition for the starting job. Stick with the path in front of you, young man.

Latest posts