Lainez

Regarding KF's loyalty to QBs, I agree that he waits too long to make changes, but he does make changes. He has replaced multi-year starters who were underperforming with younger back-ups several times during his tenure. Beatherd being the prime example. He replaced a very good QB (who never turned the ball over), for a better playmaking QB. Ruddock went on to start at Michigan and then play in the NFL, so he was no slouch.

So, I reject the premise that KF would have stuck with Petras if he was healthy this year; or that KF will play McNamara as the starter next year as long as he is healthy no matter what. Indeed, McNamara has done very little on the game field at Iowa to have the #1 position completely locked up. If healthy, he will start the Fall as the #1 QB I am sure, but I believe this kid from Oregon could unseat him if he shows he is the better playmaker.

It sometimes takes a 2x4 to the head for him to make a change, but KF has done so in the past. It just has to be painfully obvious that the back-up is better.

Regarding KF's loyalty to QBs, I agree that he waits too long to make changes, but he does make changes. He has replaced multi-year starters who were underperforming with younger back-ups several times during his tenure. Beatherd being the prime example. He replaced a very good QB (who never turned the ball over), for a better playmaking QB. Ruddock went on to start at Michigan and then play in the NFL, so he was no slouch.

So, I reject the premise that KF would have stuck with Petras if he was healthy this year; or that KF will play McNamara as the starter next year as long as he is healthy no matter what. Indeed, McNamara has done very little on the game field at Iowa to have the #1 position completely locked up. If healthy, he will start the Fall as the #1 QB I am sure, but I believe this kid from Oregon could unseat him if he shows he is the better playmaker.

It sometimes takes a 2x4 to the head for him to make a change, but KF has done so in the past. It just has to be painfully obvious that the back-up is better.

I dunno, man. It felt like CJB and his Dad forced the issue on that. It became an ultimatum and Kirk made the right choice.

I dunno, man. It felt like CJB and his Dad forced the issue on that. It became an ultimatum and Kirk made the right choice.
So, when KF does the right thing its only because of pressure from a country music performer? Laughing.

Look, CJ might have transferred out if he did not get to play. That happens a lot with QBs as we have seen. Maybe he made that position clear to the coaches. But, KF is going to play the QB that he believes gives him the best chance to win. That is why he put CJ out there, not because his dad made a couple phone calls. KF's judgment on this front is questionable a lot, but when he does make the right call, let's give him his due.

So, when KF does the right thing its only because of pressure from a country music performer? Laughing.

Look, CJ might have transferred out if he did not get to play. That happens a lot with QBs as we have seen. Maybe he made that position clear to the coaches. But, KF is going to play the QB that he believes gives him the best chance to win. That is why he put CJ out there, not because his dad made a couple phone calls. KF's judgment on this front is questionable a lot, but when he does make the right call, let's give him his due.

You can believe what you want to believe. I really don’t care either way. IMO, CJB and his dad forced Kirk’s hand. I’m just shrugging my shoulders…agree to disagree.

Painfully obvious? It’s been extremely painfully obvious for quite awhile that Deacon needed to be replaced. It was very painful and very obvious to everyone except Kirk. Kirk started McCann over Banks. He started Jake over Ricky. Kirks pain threshold has to be on another level.

To be fair 7 attempts in the 4th q of a game he got thrown into not thinking he was ever going to play in and had no prep for isn't exactly a fair way to evaluate him on.. So no he didn't show anything with his arm but that doesn't mean he should be totally discarded over it either.

Iowa didn't exactly call any plays down the field letting him even show it off either. Not that they coulda blocked for him if they did. The O is was such a shit show. So I'd want to see more from him to have a better idea on his arm.
In all honesty, we did not really learn much about this kid’s overall ability as a QB. Yes. I liked his quickness and escape skills. I don’t think we should criticize his passing. We just did not learn anything about it. That’s ok. Spring practice is around the corner.

Oh man I half forgot about that. But it did seem like CJB threatened to bail had KF not done what he did when he did. It was like some really odd timing of when KF announced that he was making the change like right after the bowl game I think. Something he hadn't done before or since. He released an entire depth chart when the only reason for it was to announce the QB change. So JR left right after that and the rest was history.

So yeah if say this Thompson kid does commit to come to Iowa (I'll believe it when it happens I have my doubts) It'll make things interesting. Would Cade hop back into the portal or stick around and compete? And by compete I mean it'll be August at the very earliest that he could probably be 100%. He won't be good for spring ball. Leaving a lot of 1st team snaps open for the others.

Thompson has 2 yrs of eligibility so that could make things problematic for Lainez he may not be that patient. I don't think anyone cares if Hill left I think most of us are wishing he would but I doubt he does. We just aren't that lucky. Throwing Thompson into the mix would be a heck of a curve ball but I'm here for it.

A Qb room of Thompson, Lainez and Resar the next 2 yrs sounds pretty exciting to me. I couldn't see Cade sticking around if Thompson came this is his last rodeo I would think. But my expectations are tempered cause the last couple yrs has half broke my optimism with this O

In all honesty, we did not really learn much about this kid’s overall ability as a QB. Yes. I liked his quickness and escape skills. I don’t think we should criticize his passing. We just did not learn anything about it. That’s ok. Spring practice is around the corner.
But the point it, Iowa would have done at least about the same with him in there with a pretty good chance of doing a little better. Iowa would have been able to get him experience, a player with a higher ceiling.
Now, they are going into next season exactly where they were going into this season.

They didn't take the opportunity to give a player with more potential badly needed game experience. Iowa wouldn't have done any worse going with him.

You can believe what you want to believe. I really don’t care either way. IMO, CJB and his dad forced Kirk’s hand. I’m just shrugging my shoulders…agree to disagree.
Look, I am not saying that you are wrong about CJ approaching KF and stating that if he was sticking with Ruddock that he would transfer out. That was widely reported. Did that force KF's hand? Sure. He might have preferred an open competition to that, but he could see over time that CJ was the better option and did not want to lose him. That said, no one forced KF's hand to play a guy that he did not think was better than his replacement. I think if Lainez approached KF after the NE game and said play me or I am transferring, KF would have wished him well in the portal.

Balancing the QB room is one of the hardest things in college football. Typically, only one guy plays. The room has at least 4 scholly QBs. The egos in the room are big. And its the most important position on the field. So, coaches to do their best to lead guys on with promises of competition and opportunities, but kids have a bullshit detector.

Someone's daddy is not going to get them on the field when they are not the best option. The timing may have been advanced, but any phone calls did not convince KF to do something he did not feel was best for the team in the end. He was right.

Again, I made the point that KF waits too long to make these decisions and his judgment is questionable. I was simply deflecting some of the statements made by others that KF never makes changes at QB. He does. Not as quickly as he should.

Look, Deacon sucked. We all could see that. But, in the very limited snaps we saw from Labas (and he was injured part of the time) and Lainez, I honestly cannot say that either would be an upgrade. Yes, there were options with their feet that could have been explored, at least in packages, but watching both guys throw the ball was not exactly inspiring. I recognize that is unfair given the limited viewing, but what I saw coupled with the fact that KF would not even try it out in the face of utter failure by Deacon suggests to me that Lainez still has a ways to go.

What makes me mad is that it took 5 and 3/4 games of constant turnovers by Deacon before he was pulled. KF preaches ball security but did not enforce that basic tenet with Hill. Hill deserved to be benched not because he was ineffective, but because he was a detriment. Who replaced him is beside the point. If the QB cannot protect the ball, he doesn't play. Period.
Painfully obvious? It’s been extremely painfully obvious for quite awhile that Deacon needed to be replaced. It was very painful and very obvious to everyone except Kirk. Kirk started McCann over Banks. He started Jake over Ricky. Kirks pain threshold has to be on another level.

Look, I am not saying that you are wrong about CJ approaching KF and stating that if he was sticking with Ruddock that he would transfer out. That was widely reported. Did that force KF's hand? Sure. He might have preferred an open competition to that, but he could see over time that CJ was the better option and did not want to lose him. That said, no one forced KF's hand to play a guy that he did not think was better than his replacement. I think if Lainez approached KF after the NE game and said play me or I am transferring, KF would have wished him well in the portal.

Balancing the QB room is one of the hardest things in college football. Typically, only one guy plays. The room has at least 4 scholly QBs. The egos in the room are big. And its the most important position on the field. So, coaches to do their best to lead guys on with promises of competition and opportunities, but kids have a bullshit detector.

Someone's daddy is not going to get them on the field when they are not the best option. The timing may have been advanced, but any phone calls did not convince KF to do something he did not feel was best for the team in the end. He was right.
Yes they do. They also can tell how they all matchup with one another out there in practice. It's pretty easy for them to tell who the coaches favor and who's getting all the 1st team reps etc etc. The stuff that we only hear about through the grapevine if at all.

It was almost a decade ago the last time he did that. And really, that was the only time he’s done it in his now longest tenure in football that it actually had a meaningful impact.

McNamara is the guy as long as he can medically play football.

Cade should start as no 1 Marco 2 deacon if still here 3. But gee wiz if first guy struggling get 2nd guy in. And honestly non conference games multiple QBs should play. Furthermore if Marco no 2 have some packages to play him every game to mix things up. He clearly can run successfully (and I suspect his throwing will be fine). Go hawks

Even if you assume otherwise identical play, Marco should be ahead of Deeke based on a higher net rushing total. Marco obviously can recognize a nice running and has a sense of when to take off. Some of a statuesque Hill's lost yardage on sacks would be converted into positive rushing yards. Just cannot bear the thought of Deacon Hill stumbling around 10 yards behind the LoS with defenders coming from every direction.​

Cade should start as no 1 Marco 2 deacon if still here 3. But gee wiz if first guy struggling get 2nd guy in. And honestly non conference games multiple QBs should play. Furthermore if Marco no 2 have some packages to play him every game to mix things up. He clearly can run successfully (and I suspect his throwing will be fine). Go hawks
lol. McNamara isn’t any better than Hill. He’s a liability. Of the 4 we have right now Lainez should be the starter.

They can call it a competition all they want, but we all know that the job is Cade McNamara's as long as he's medically able. That's the way KF rolls and that's the way he's always rolled. It'll be his job until he gets hurt.

Performance isn't a measuring stick for who plays QB at Iowa. It should be, but it isn't.
So he wins us Iowa State and then a leg falls off again. Gotta hope we have a competent backup.

lol. McNamara isn’t any better than Hill. He’s a liability. Of the 4 we have right now Lainez should be the starter.
Cade no better than Hill. Why in the world do you make statements like this? You sound flat out stupid. I guess you want to be the Paul Finebaum of the minor leagues. I think you are on track.

Latest posts