Lainez

Reading all these comments causes me to visualize two 268 lb fat chicks sitting at home with a large bowl of ice cream, three boxes of Crispy Cream donuts, and six bags of potatoes chips skimming threw the newest male magazines talking about the cute guys they would like to date.

Our offense is an effing mess and so it don’t matter who KF brings in as an OC it will take time, maybe three years if we are lucky to be able to repair the damage done over the last three seasons. To make matters worse Kirk is still the head coach and his idea of starting an offense is relative to him trying to start a car using a hand-crank attached to the crankshaft coming out of the front of the engine.

God I hope he proves me wrong but twenty-five years says otherwise.

Is that Mary in the picture below?

Attachments

• IMG_0105.jpeg
    IMG_0105.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 0
lol. McNamara isn’t any better than Hill. He’s a liability. Of the 4 we have right now Lainez should be the starter.
Man, if this is true, we should scrap the whole room and start the incoming freshmen or whatever we find in the portal. This is not true, BTW. McNamara is a far better QB than Hill will ever be, when healthy. But, that last part is the most important part. We have seen Cade play at a high level when he has the coaching and system around him. Does anyone think Hill would have thrived in Michigan's system? No way. Hell, he was third string on an average Wisky team. Hill is just not a D1 QB. Cade is.

I am intrigued enough with Lainez to let him keep developing and see if he can be a starter. He and Rezar seem to have similar attributes (good to great athletes who don't throw all that well yet). I question whether either will be ready next year. We need someone who is. Get rid of Hill and find a competent back-up on the market.

It was almost a decade ago the last time he did that. And really, that was the only time he’s done it in his now longest tenure in football that it actually had a meaningful impact.
Totally false. KF benched Christensen after he had been a multi-year starter and replaced him with Stanzi. JC was one of the highest rated recruits in the KF era, and he was benched because he was ineffective and the back-up, an underrecruited kid, was better. The change was absolutely meaningful.

While McCann was not benched, Banks was getting reps in 2001 as a change of pace QB.

KF also tried to bench Petras through claiming alleged injuries, but his back-up was just as bad.

Man, if this is true, we should scrap the whole room and start the incoming freshmen or whatever we find in the portal. This is not true, BTW. McNamara is a far better QB than Hill will ever be, when healthy. But, that last part is the most important part. We have seen Cade play at a high level when he has the coaching and system around him. Does anyone think Hill would have thrived in Michigan's system? No way. Hell, he was third string on an average Wisky team. Hill is just not a D1 QB. Cade is.

I am intrigued enough with Lainez to let him keep developing and see if he can be a starter. He and Rezar seem to have similar attributes (good to great athletes who don't throw all that well yet). I question whether either will be ready next year. We need someone who is. Get rid of Hill and find a competent back-up on the market.

Very reasonable analysis.

lol. McNamara isn’t any better than Hill. He’s a liability. Of the 4 we have right now Lainez should be the starter.
I don't know how you start the season without another starting caliber QB in the mix. It's insane to count on McNamara. That makes Lainez the starter, and elevates Hill to #2 as the default. And hopefully Lainez is allowed to run, which makes it likely he gets dinged at some point during the season, too.

It amazes me how harsh people can on a student athlete and barely hold the head coach accountable. A guy that is now making over seven million a year and hasn’t won a conference title in over twenty years.

One every ten years is extremely reasonable. That would be two in that twenty year period. Being fair he did win it 21 years ago but another one in the following twenty years would be reasonable. Very reasonable.

Weak sauce being critical of a struggling QB and not riding Kirk’s ass too.

The biggest frustration is to have a defense that can hold its own if not exceed elite programs and the offense is all that is holding the program back. Is it recruiting? Being overly conservative? Or severe coaching deficiencies on the offensive side in general?

Cade no better than Hill. Why in the world do you make statements like this? You sound flat out stupid. I guess you want to be the Paul Finebaum of the minor leagues. I think you are on track.
Lol. Give me one concrete piece of evidence he’s better. Because he played better at Michigan? By that logic Scott Frost is a great coach.

It amazes me how harsh people can on a student athlete and barely hold the head coach accountable.
Gimme a break.

These aren’t student athletes. They’re semi-pro football players. If you’re getting paid to do a job, you’re going to get criticism. In some cases the players are getting paid as much or more than certain assistant coaches.

Lol. Give me one concrete piece of evidence he’s better. Because he played better at Michigan? By that logic Scott Frost is a great coach.
While I don't think you are stupid, this take is weak. Very weak. Hill is an atrociously bad QB. I know what my eyes tell me and my eyes tell me he has a big arm and not much else. He can't scramble, he has no touch, and he turns the ball over like a slot machine. So, the eye test is my first piece of evidence.

And yes, both of these guys came from other programs. One was the starter at a Top 10 program, won a conference title, and was barely beat out for his starting job by a fringe Heisman candidate who might win a Natty tonight. The other was the third string QB at a middling Wisconsin program. So, the second piece of evidence is how and where they performed at prior to coming to Iowa. Objectively, we have evidence of how other good coaches felt about both of these guys. One's a Big Ten Starter, the other aint.

Finally, although a small sample size, Cade was demonstrably better than Hill in the few games we saw him at Iowa, not that that is saying much. More poised, more mobile, better command of the offense, etc.

It amazes me how harsh people can on a student athlete and barely hold the head coach accountable. A guy that is now making over seven million a year and hasn’t won a conference title in over twenty years.

One every ten years is extremely reasonable. That would be two in that twenty year period. Being fair he did win it 21 years ago but another one in the following twenty years would be reasonable. Very reasonable.

I agree an HC going on 25 yrs at one place holds more responsibility then the backup QB that's thrown into the fire not ready to be out there.

Calling a spade a spade Hill isn't a D1 QB. He's not he's physically just not. Maybe he's really smart and could memorize the playbook inside out better then Labas and Lainez did. I'm not sure but physically he couldn't execute the plays. So the head scratching decision to put him out there and then continue to keep putting him out there the last 8 plus games or whatever it's been is what's insane.

To me that's the mystery we'll never uncover. Why would the coaches do that? There's zero chance he was physically the better QB. Cause if he was Labas and Lainez aren't D1 qbs either and that says a hell of a lot about the staffs ability to recognize, coach up and develop one because holy crap... But to me that's the issue. Having a former center/Olineman that was a good OLine coach taking over the entire O and coaching QBs without a lick of experience or credibility to do so.

While I don't think you are stupid, this take is weak. Very weak. Hill is an atrociously bad QB. I know what my eyes tell me and my eyes tell me he has a big arm and not much else. He can't scramble, he has no touch, and he turns the ball over like a slot machine. So, the eye test is my first piece of evidence.

And yes, both of these guys came from other programs. One was the starter at a Top 10 program, won a conference title, and was barely beat out for his starting job by a fringe Heisman candidate who might win a Natty tonight. The other was the third string QB at a middling Wisconsin program. So, the second piece of evidence is how and where they performed at prior to coming to Iowa. Objectively, we have evidence of how other good coaches felt about both of these guys. One's a Big Ten Starter, the other aint.

Finally, although a small sample size, Cade was demonstrably better than Hill in the few games we saw him at Iowa, not that that is saying much. More poised, more mobile, better command of the offense, etc.
Not going to put words into Fryowa's mouth, but I think what he was getting at is the Cade that played at Michigan is not the same Cade that we got, for obvious reasons. Your comments about "can't scramble, no touch, and turning the ball over like a slot machine" could be applied to Cade as well. Pre-injuries I agree with you 1000%, but Cade is not the same Cade that played at Michigan and to be honest may not even return to the the Cade we say this season after getting hurt this year.

Yes they do. They also can tell how they all matchup with one another out there in practice. It's pretty easy for them to tell who the coaches favor and who's getting all the 1st team reps etc etc. The stuff that we only hear about through the grapevine if at all.

In my experience, players don't always have a great idea of how they match up against others unless it is painfully obvious. Players generally have an overly positive opinion of their talent, and the positive plays they make in practice confirms this bias, while the mistakes they make are ignored. I would guess others on here who have coached (or taught) have seen the same thing.

This really applies to all of us and any endeavor we are pursuing. I see myself as a top-2 HN forum poster, and I am probably only like to-5.

Sure. Go ahead and double down. The reality is that neither of us has a clue about how Cade will perform in 2024.

Gimme a break.

These aren’t student athletes. They’re semi-pro football players. If you’re getting paid to do a job, you’re going to get criticism. In some cases the players are getting paid as much or more than certain assistant coaches.
No. They are student athletes. A very small % will ever get a single minute in the NFL. Are there “semi-pro’s” out there? Of course. Football is a moment of time for all of them.

I don’t see the vast majority of people crossing the line with their assessments of any of the players. The biggest criticisms have been about their abilities and performances not personal attacks. Most all of the high level athletes I have known in my life have had two things in common 1) They are their own toughest critics 2) If the noise (opponents, media, fans) does make its way to them they have an instant desire to prove them wrong and shut them up. They are competitive on a whole different level.

With that being said I think most of the talk around inadequate QB room (and the offense in general) seems to be more dumbfounded than anything else. Essentially- ‘This QB(OC) is terrible… the coach says he’s been great… he’s terrible though right? How can we all see it but Kirk can’t?’ We can’t believe the disconnect between what our eyes are seeing and what we are being told and given.

There is a quickly growing number of people that are saying they are ready to move on from Kirk but deep down I think every single Hawkeye fan would give anything for him to just let go of the offense and turn this thing around. We want him to be the one to lead us to a BIG championship. We want him to take us to the CFP. Seeing him fall to this point is just sad and frustrating because we all just want him to live up to what we think he could be.

Or maybe not… I just had a whole pot of coffee and feel like I can hear colors now.

I don’t see the vast majority of people crossing the line with their assessments of any of the players. The biggest criticisms have been about their abilities and performances not personal attacks. Most all of the high level athletes I have known in my life have had two things in common 1) They are their own toughest critics 2) If the noise (opponents, media, fans) does make its way to them they have an instant desire to prove them wrong and shut them up. They are competitive on a whole different level.

With that being said I think most of the talk around inadequate QB room (and the offense in general) seems to be more dumbfounded than anything else. Essentially- ‘This QB(OC) is terrible… the coach says he’s been great… he’s terrible though right? How can we all see it but Kirk can’t?’ We can’t believe the disconnect between what our eyes are seeing and what we are being told and given.

There is a quickly growing number of people that are saying they are ready to move on from Kirk but deep down I think every single Hawkeye fan would give anything for him to just let go of the offense and turn this thing around. We want him to be the one to lead us to a BIG championship. We want him to take us to the CFP. Seeing him fall to this point is just sad and frustrating because we all just want him to live up to what we think he could be.

Or maybe not… I just had a whole pot of coffee and feel like I can hear colors now.
I really liked this post. (No sarcasm)

Not going to put words into Fryowa's mouth, but I think what he was getting at is the Cade that played at Michigan is not the same Cade that we got, for obvious reasons. Your comments about "can't scramble, no touch, and turning the ball over like a slot machine" could be applied to Cade as well. Pre-injuries I agree with you 1000%, but Cade is not the same Cade that played at Michigan and to be honest may not even return to the the Cade we say this season after getting hurt this year.
Even at 80%, which is about all we ever saw Cade of last season, he was still light years better than anything Hill brought to the table. Even his sad and injured efforts to scramble were better than anything Hill did. I would take Cade at 80% any day of the week and twice on Sunday over a 100% healthy Hill. Not a close call. These two are not the same QBs in any respect.

I agree that the Cade that played for Iowa at 80% is a shadow of what he was at Michigan. He also had a lot better coaching and personnel at Michigan. Whether we ever get what was paid for is an open question. I would not bet the season on Cade playing all of 2024, so a transfer QB is in order. What I do know is that Deacon Hill should never take another snap at Iowa again. Ever. We know what he is and its just not good enough. Not even close.

I dunno, man. It felt like CJB and his Dad forced the issue on that. It became an ultimatum and Kirk made the right choice.
Yeap, I agree with that assessment. Seems if I remember after dad came knocking Bethard became the guy.