Lainez

Those suggesting that they know this kid will portal out are just citing to what they think will happen given their constantly negative framing of Iowa football.

Could he transfer? Sure.

But, if the new OC says that it is open competition and he beats out Deacon in the Spring (and that better happen), then he knows he is the back-up to a starter with a glass jaw. So, he likely gets PT next year due to injury, or if not, he starts as a redshirt junior. Where in major college football is he going to go with a better PT situation than that? Everywhere he transfers to will have the same level of competition for the starting job. Stick with the path in front of you, young man.

I agree.

First, as an overview, let's not say Nate Stanley "struggled". No one in any competitive activity in life hasn't had some off "games" but he is the career 2nd leading passer, yards and TDs, tied for most wins for a 3 year starter, a distant 1st in TD/Int ratio; plus, the team got better every season, culminating in one of Iowa's 8 (I think) 10 win seasons.

Second, a team is judged by its record and Iowa hasn't had many with 10 wins.

Having said that, after watching Lainez, kind of like Labas in the bowl game, demonstrate that he is better than what has seen the field and brings some much-needed mobility at QB makes it very hard to understand the coaching decisions on these various recent QBs. Padilla and Hill are objectively terrible. Turnover machines. What mistakes didn't Padilla and Hill not make that the coaches feared the younger guys would make?

I would have a million questions for the new OC if I were Marco Lainez III. There's almost nothing good to see in Hill's film.

David Eicholt was saying that Ty Thompson the 5 star qb from a couple yrs ago that went to Oregon is coming to Iowa for a visit this weekend!!?? Knock me over with a feather if that's true.
So many questions such as how's that happen? Did staff reach out to him or vice versa? Why's he have any interest at all? Did KF tell him who new OC is going to be? Does KF even know yet?

What ties are there to this kid for this to even remotely be possible? He should have lots of options. Options that include schools with an OC currently hired and not the worst offense in football. I'd be all about bringing a kid like him. Especially if say a WR with the last name Kasper might want to tag along.

I'd be shocked if Thompson decided to become a Hawk especially with no OC named yet. Hell I'm shocked he's even visiting. But hey glad to see that the staff and NIL dudes are trying.

David Eicholt was saying that Ty Thompson the 5 star qb from a couple yrs ago that went to Oregon is coming to Iowa for a visit this weekend!!?? Knock me over with a feather if that's true.
So many questions such as how's that happen? Did staff reach out to him or vice versa? Why's he have any interest at all? Did KF tell him who new OC is going to be? Does KF even know yet?

What ties are there to this kid for this to even remotely be possible? He should have lots of options. Options that include schools with an OC currently hired and not the worst offense in football. I'd be all about bringing a kid like him. Especially if say a WR with the last name Kasper might want to tag along.

I'd be shocked if Thompson decided to become a Hawk especially with no OC named yet. Hell I'm shocked he's even visiting. But hey glad to see that the staff and NIL dudes are trying.

Interesting and good find. I wonder if it could happen to be tied to the new OC just because of the timing?

Interesting and good find. I wonder if it could happen to be tied to the new OC just because of the timing?
Saw another article on it and the ties that bind may be that Budmayr had been recruiting him out of HS originally to Wisconsin much the same way he did Hill.

Another round about game of dominos is that Joe Moorehead who was his OC in Oregon initially is now the HC at Akron. Well if Iowa were to be trying to bring him on as OC... So this visit doesn't seem to be as completely out of thin air as I may have thought.

Saw another article on it and the ties that bind may be that Budmayr had been recruiting him out of HS originally to Wisconsin much the same way he did Hill.

Another round about game of dominos is that Jon Moorehead who was his OC in Oregon initially is now the HC at Akron. Well if Iowa were to be trying to bring him on as OC... So this visit doesn't seem to be as completely out of thin air as I may have thought.

Even as a 5 star, it sounds like he couldn't break thru in Oregon. Hopefully he still has a ceiling to hit. Iowa's room is a mess now so can't really get any worse.

Even as a 5 star, it sounds like he couldn't break thru in Oregon. Hopefully he still has a ceiling to hit. Iowa's room is a mess now so can't really get any worse.
Yeah once Dix went to Oregon that threw a monkey wrench into his best laid plans. Dix is done so maybe Ty just wants a fresh start somewhere else all together hard to say. But Oregon has an open QB spot.

Yeah once Dix went to Oregon that threw a monkey wrench into his best laid plans. Dix is done so maybe Ty just wants a fresh start somewhere else all together hard to say. But Oregon has an open QB spot.
I was On3 looking at the portal, and I think Oregon just announced another high-profile transfer coming in. I can't remember who it is, though.

I don't think you can promise this guy the starting job unless Cade decides to leave. So, I think you go to Cade and this kid and say it will be open competition and that will include Lainez.

This kid has great high school accolades, but has done nothing in college, so I cannot imagine anyone will offer him guaranteed PT. So, he will have to earn it at this level. Why Iowa? Who knows. OC, NIL. He is interested enough to visit. This feels like it could happen.

Not to be that guy as Lainez was a breath of fresh air and it was great seeing a mobile QB out there, but I came away asking myself why we can't find a QB that can hit their receivers. From a scrambling perspective he was damn good, but I just didn't see anything about his arm that made me think he's our best option the next three years. I still think we really need to get out there and find some QBs. That said it's his first time getting the opportunity and I'm sure he'll improve.

I don't think you can promise this guy the starting job unless Cade decides to leave. So, I think you go to Cade and this kid and say it will be open competition and that will include Lainez.

This kid has great high school accolades, but has done nothing in college, so I cannot imagine anyone will offer him guaranteed PT. So, he will have to earn it at this level. Why Iowa? Who knows. OC, NIL. He is interested enough to visit. This feels like it could happen.
Agree there's no promises being tossed around by this staff anyway I wouldn't think that's never been their thing. Staff could say look spring ball can be a great time for he and Lainez to compete with summer being an open competition for them all Cade, Ty, and Marco with Resar . (Hill has to be odd man out)

Not to be that guy as Lainez was a breath of fresh air and it was great seeing a mobile QB out there, but I came away asking myself why we can't find a QB that can hit their receivers. From a scrambling perspective he was damn good, but I just didn't see anything about his arm that made me think he's our best option the next three years. I still think we really need to get out there and find some QBs. That said it's his first time getting the opportunity and I'm sure he'll improve.
To be fair 7 attempts in the 4th q of a game he got thrown into not thinking he was ever going to play in and had no prep for isn't exactly a fair way to evaluate him on.. So no he didn't show anything with his arm but that doesn't mean he should be totally discarded over it either.

Iowa didn't exactly call any plays down the field letting him even show it off either. Not that they coulda blocked for him if they did. The O is was such a shit show. So I'd want to see more from him to have a better idea on his arm.

...But, if the new OC says that it is open competition...
Ferentz has never made an OC responsible for that decision in the quarter century he's been in charge. He isn't going to start now.

...Where in major college football is he going to go with a better PT situation than that?
Happens literally all the time. These guys don't make what we'd say are rational decisions. Most of the time they want immediate playing time and they think they can get it where they're going. Look at Padilla...he went somewhere where he had not one but two guys younger than him and he got 7 pass attempts in garbage time all season. If he uses his covid year those same 2 guys will be there.

Agree there's no promises being tossed around by this staff anyway I wouldn't think that's never been their thing. Staff could say look spring ball can be a great time for he and Lainez to compete with summer being an open competition for them all Cade, Ty, and Marco with Resar . (Hill has to be odd man out)
Um, they did exactly that last year. Cade was told he would step on campus as the #1 QB. I agree that it is not the norm, and in fact, it was the first time I know that has happened under KF, but it happened.

That said, I can't see it happening with this kid unless they are ready to move on from Cade AND risk nudging Lainez out the door.

Ferentz has never made an OC responsible for that decision in the quarter century he's been in charge. He isn't going to start now.

Happens literally all the time. These guys don't make what we'd say are rational decisions. Most of the time they want immediate playing time and they think they can get it where they're going. Look at Padilla...he went somewhere where he had not one but two guys younger than him and he got 7 pass attempts in garbage time all season. If he uses his covid year those same 2 guys will be there.
Whomever decides and tells him does not matter, that would be the messaging to entice him to come to Iowa.

And, my point isn't whether this kid's, or any transferring QBs' judgments are wise or sound. My point is that all coaches will message opportunities. They can range from guaranteed starter to competing for the third string job. What I believe Iowa can offer this kid is the majority of first team reps in the Spring, and an open competition with Cade for the #1 spot in the Fall. Short of being offered the starting position before he steps on campus (like Cade), I don't see how it could get any better. Given his career arc, it is hard for me to imagine any other major program being able to offer a better opportunity than that. Whether he sees it that way is a different discussion.

Whomever decides and tells him does not matter, that would be the messaging to entice him to come to Iowa.

And, my point isn't whether this kid's, or any transferring QBs' judgments are wise or sound. My point is that all coaches will message opportunities. They can range from guaranteed starter to competing for the third string job. What I believe Iowa can offer this kid is the majority of first team reps in the Spring, and an open competition with Cade for the #1 spot in the Fall. Short of being offered the starting position before he steps on campus (like Cade), I don't see how it could get any better. Given his career arc, it is hard for me to imagine any other major program being able to offer a better opportunity than that. Whether he sees it that way is a different discussion.
They can call it a competition all they want, but we all know that the job is Cade McNamara's as long as he's medically able. That's the way KF rolls and that's the way he's always rolled. It'll be his job until he gets hurt.

Performance isn't a measuring stick for who plays QB at Iowa. It should be, but it isn't.

They can call it a competition all they want, but we all know that the job is Cade McNamara's as long as he's medically able. That's the way KF rolls and that's the way he's always rolled. It'll be his job until he gets hurt.

Performance isn't a measuring stick for who plays QB at Iowa. It should be, but it isn't.
Truth.

Um, they did exactly that last year. Cade was told he would step on campus as the #1 QB. I agree that it is not the norm, and in fact, it was the first time I know that has happened under KF, but it happened.

That said, I can't see it happening with this kid unless they are ready to move on from Cade AND risk nudging Lainez out the door.
That's easy to do with Cade due to the process of elimination of the roster... If Petras say was still going to play and wasn't hurt this last yr I don't think they'd have told Cade you're taking over for a multi yr starter for us and we'll just hand you the Qb1 label without a competition.