KOK rumor

I would also add that it seems like our offense can usually seem to move the ball between the 20's.. Yet it just seems like there's typically a point where things break down.. A big penalty, a sack, KOK goes away from what was working and the drive stalls, etc. We end up with a FG, or going for it (and failing) on 4th down from the opponents 33 yard line, or something.

Like the game @Minnesota this year.. Coker had a HUGE first half, and our offense only managed 7 points. Inexplicable.

Or waaaay too many sequences of 1st and 10, 2nd and 8, 3rd and 5+ and then it is punt the football or the drive stalls. If Iowa did not get good chunks of yardage on 1st or 2nd down you cringed because you knew what was coming.

It was just no wiggle room or margin of error with this offense.

If there is a coaching change won't be much philosophy change ImO

Could that be the reason why the hiring of our DC is taking so long? Maybe we whiffed on some candidates b/c they wanted to run their own system and bring in their own guys??

If it's not Phil Parker, then it will have to be someone that has agreed to run the same defense and keep the defensive staff intacted??

Or waaaay too many sequences of 1st and 10, 2nd and 8, 3rd and 5+ and then it is punt the football or the drive stalls. If Iowa did not get good chunks of yardage on 1st or 2nd down you cringed because you knew what was coming.

Sounds like lack of execution to me. Granted, that could still be KOK's fault, but I've never thought play calling was the issue.

And how many times do we see this sequence:

1st and 10: Incomplete Pass
2nd and 10: Hand off, 2 yard gain
3rd and 8: Pass for 5 yards (or sack) and punt

I'm in the camp that believes KF sets the philosophy, but that KOK operates poorly within the parameters he is given.

My guess at the parameters KF gives KOK:
1) Pro-style
2) Run-first offense
3) Use the run to set up play action
4) Keep it conservative (not too many trick plays, plays that might result in negative yardage, etc)

But just because those parameters won't change with a new OC, that doesn't mean someone else can't do a better job within the same parameters. Here's some things that KOK is directly responsible for that can be improved:

1) Getting play calls in quicker
2) Better clock management (you can argue that this is KF's weakness, but a good OC knows when a time-out should be called and calls it)
3) Preparing the QB to deal with pressure/blitzes
4) Finding plays work and continuing to use them; then at the right moment, using them to set up a fake/counter/variation

I, for one, would like to see a new OC. Maybe nothing will change. Maybe everything will. I feel like there's more potential to get better than to get worse.

Lack of execution is one thing, but continually running the ball into 8 man fronts and having zero imagination is another. There is nothing wrong with trying to create mis matches or trying to fool your opponent and keep them off balance, Iowa does neither and its really tough for players to "execute" under those circumstances.

And how many times do we see this sequence:

1st and 10: Incomplete Pass
2nd and 10: Hand off, 2 yard gain
3rd and 8: Pass for 5 yards (or sack) and punt

I could only add that dropped passes is a killer any offense, but it is just devastating to a Iowa offense, even Mcnutt had a lot of dropped passes.

lack of execution is a fair argument.

It's easy to blame the offense's troubles on lack of execution, and that may well be accurate. But after every loss where the offense struggles, we always hear "We just didn't execute well enough".

Ok, fine.

But eventually, you have to ask "Why does the offense seem to continually have so much trouble executing?"

Players come and go, but the results seem to be the same most every year. This may be harsh, but the coaching staff is the only real constant in the program. I'm not sure how you can put it 100% on the players when different players essentially have the same result. The only exceptions are the years where we happen to have a Shonn Greene, or an offense that was totally stacked like it was in 2002.

I have not been able to confirm the KOK rumors after many exhaustive attempts at doing so. I cannot help but feel as though my impeccable record on these matters is now in jeopardy because of Ken O'Keefe and I feel that Kirk Ferentz should fire him immediately because of it, even if Ken is only doing what Kirk wants him to do by keeping me in the dark this one time.

I'm in the camp that believes KF sets the philosophy, but that KOK operates poorly within the parameters he is given.

My guess at the parameters KF gives KOK:
1) Pro-style
2) Run-first offense
3) Use the run to set up play action
4) Keep it conservative (not too many trick plays, plays that might result in negative yardage, etc)

But just because those parameters won't change with a new OC, that doesn't mean someone else can't do a better job within the same parameters. Here's some things that KOK is directly responsible for that can be improved:

1) Getting play calls in quicker
2) Better clock management (you can argue that this is KF's weakness, but a good OC knows when a time-out should be called and calls it)
3) Preparing the QB to deal with pressure/blitzes
4) Finding plays work and continuing to use them; then at the right moment, using them to set up a fake/counter/variation

I, for one, would like to see a new OC. Maybe nothing will change. Maybe everything will. I feel like there's more potential to get better than to get worse.

These match my thoughts pretty closely. I think KOK is a great teacher from people I have talked to that attended camps or have been associated with the program. I am a little bit ambivalent in that I am also a Dolphins fan and think that the key to their success is going to rest on quarterback play going forward assuming they will draft a QB in the first round.

I would like to see a new OC because I feel that KOK is a Sunday through Friday coach. He prepares his players well and does a decent job of preparing them for the game. His in-game play-calling can often be lacking and I am always surprised that Iowa doesn't attack weaknesses in opposing defenses like teams in the previous weeks have. I also feel Iowa's passing game is a little bit antiquated outside of the play action game which has always been a strength since he an Ferentz arrived.

I do think a new OC can make Iowa's offense more explosive and consistent. My complaints with O'Keefe are constantly related to play-calling, timing and game-plan. Iowa is not the only team that runs a pro-style offensive attack. Wisconsin, Stanford, USC, and Georgia are teams that run similar concepts and formations and they have scored many more points per game in recent seasons (I understand that those teams have elite talent, but Iowa has sent many players from the offensive side of the ball into the NFL over the last several seasons and will send at least three this season).

Imo Ferentz's staff is comprised of too many teachers and needs a tactician. The timing of this shouldn't effect who Iowa can hire as they will competitive in pay and Iowa's stability has to be attractive to any coaching candidate.

It's easy to blame the offense's troubles on lack of execution, and that may well be accurate. But after every loss where the offense struggles, we always hear "We just didn't execute well enough".

Ok, fine.

But eventually, you have to ask "Why does the offense seem to continually have so much trouble executing?"

Lack of ability to recruit talent to Iowa City. Iowa just doesn't have any sizzle .... its not sexy. They can only do so much with the talent that they have.

I believe that was what Kirk's explanation was.

Lack of ability to recruit talent to Iowa City. Iowa just doesn't have any sizzle .... its not sexy. They can only do so much with the talent that they have.

I believe that was what Kirk's explanation was.

The only flaw with that argument is that it doesn't really explain why we pretty typically have a Top-15 (sometimes better) defense.

Unless the staff is doing a better job of recruiting talent to that side of the ball, and/or developing it.

The only flaw with that argument is that it doesn't really explain why we pretty typically have a Top-15 (sometimes better) defense.

Unless the staff is doing a better job of recruiting talent to that side of the ball, and/or developing it.

That was the subtext of my sarcastic comment.

Latest posts