KOK rumor

God only knows who O'keefe wold be replaced with but I for one wouldnt be real upset if he did move on. At times he calls a play that make you go "Wow, where the hell did that come from!" (short yardage third down play that went to the tight end for a big gain and sealed the deal in the Insight Bowl against Missouri.) And then at times (seemingly more than not) we all sit there and wonder what the hell is going on. After having watched him call plays for more than a decade it has always been my opinion that he only looks really intelligent as a game planner is when he has elite talent on the offense. 2002 is the most straight forward example of this. I dont want to see Iowa abandon their strategy completely but I would like to see someone who is more willing to change things as the game progresses as opposed to waiting until its almost too late or actually is too late. Chuck long would be a very popular hire amongst the fans but who knows where Ferentz would look to.

Last edited:
I agree that someone has got to be out there who can run a similar offense that will keep the defense guessing far more than what we have seen for a long time.

Philbin and O'Keefe I believe have many ties to each other, so this does not seem too farfetched. Two new coordinators to inject a little new blood into the program can't hurt. Obviously with Kirk still here there will not be major philosophy changes, but hopefully new coordinators will add some more wrinkles (like tweaking the way we defend the spread and 3rd downs, and getting more aggressive on offense to end halves/games and adding some new twists like say the RB screen?)

Iowa's offense will not be more aggressive on offense to end halves/games until Ferentz leaves. If anything, if O'Keefe leaves, the Hawk's offense will be more conservative. After thirteen seasons, O'Keefe has a great deal of freedom in developing game plans & calling plays. With a new offensive coordinator Ferentz probably will be more involved in those things.

The scary thing is Ferentz begins calling the plays if O'Keefe goes to Miami.

Despite the opinion of many posters, O'Keefe is well-respected in the coaching community.

wouldn't surprise me with how much philbin praised both ferentz and KOK that he'd try to lure him to miami. but i doubt he'd try to steal him away from iowa. he has too much respect for kirk to do that, IMO.

boy, if that did happen, would we have an OC by the time spring ball came around? goodness with how long the DC search has been going this could take a whole year!

Does this mean Derby comes back? :p

Part of me would love to see KOK take a shot elsewhere just because it would be interesting to see if his play calling changes. I'm in the camp that thinks KOK runs what Ferentz wants him to run.

I just have to believe there is someone out there who can run the same system better, though. Finding that man would be a different matter, however, especially now. Our offense has been below average for far too long.

That's how I feel. I don't think there's any need to change the basic offensive philosophy.. The offense just needs to be run a whole lot more effectively.

I mean, JVB put up some of the better QB stats in recent memory, we had McNutt - school leader in TD's, and Coker who ran for well over 1000 yards, and our offense still, somehow, struggled far too often.

Iowa's offense will not be more aggressive on offense to end halves/games until Ferentz leaves. If anything, if O'Keefe leaves, the Hawk's offense will be more conservative. After thirteen seasons, O'Keefe has a great deal of freedom in developing game plans & calling plays. With a new offensive coordinator Ferentz probably will be more involved in those things.

The scary thing is Ferentz begins calling the plays if O'Keefe goes to Miami.

Despite the opinion of many posters, O'Keefe is well-respected in the coaching community.

[/B]

Didn't Philbin spend time with KOK at Alhegeny(sp?). He is 55 years old, 13 at one spot he may feel it is time to do something else. This isn't far fetched at all.

How much you want to bet that if KOK does leave the next OC will run pretty much the exact same offense and we will have pretty much the exact same offensive philosophy?

Why do people think that if KOK goes all the sudden we are going such a change in our offense?

How many times do I have to tell people like you I am FINE with that...if you think our philosophy is what kills us you're wrong...it's the playcalling....

wouldn't surprise me with how much philbin praised both ferentz and KOK that he'd try to lure him to miami. but i doubt he'd try to steal him away from iowa. he has too much respect for kirk to do that, IMO.

boy, if that did happen, would we have an OC by the time spring ball came around? goodness with how long the DC search has been going this could take a whole year!

I don't know if I would use the term steal for one. Who knows what KOK's ambition is? Maybe he wants to go to the NFL and see what he can do there and I don't think Ferentz would stop him as someone that came from the NFL before.

As for finding someone before spring ball would be tough, but if it did happen that he left now it wouldn't be all that bad. NFL season is now over so maybe we could get some inquiries from some of those guys. I won't start naming names off my wish list until any confirmation is given that this is legit. I think it would be a good move for Iowa and Miami if this were to happen.

I will never bad mouth KOK for one reason and one reason only.....He was the sole reason why Stanzi got the nod full-time over JC. Kirk wanted JC and KOK wanted Stanzi and thank God KF finally listened to his OC for once!!

Soup for OC? Man, this staff needed a breath of new life but I'm not sure I'd love to see us have to replace Norm, KOK, Morgan and Coach K in the timespan of three months.

I'm in the camp that thinks KOK runs what Ferentz wants him to run.

From an overall philosophy perspective, yes. And it probably is also KF's decision to kill the clock at the end of the first half, and to play for OT rather than trying to win it in the 4th, so KOK calls running plays in those cases.

But from play-to-play, is it not basically KOK who makes all the specific play calls most of the game?

That's how I feel. I don't think there's any need to change the basic offensive philosophy.. The offense just needs to be run a whole lot more effectively.

I mean, JVB put up some of the better QB stats in recent memory, we had McNutt - school leader in TD's, and Coker who ran for well over 1000 yards, and our offense still, somehow, struggled far too often.

And a solid O-line......You hear/see words like "stale" or "stagnate" as a way to describe the program right now to me that is a way to describe the offense.

And every playcall goes through KF's headset.

You think Kirk micromanages and calls every play? Are you nuts? sure it goes through his headset, but I bet he very rarely veto's a play.

I am not talking about wholesale changes here...I'm talking about those drives when KOK runs 3 dives or 3 short passes...etc

You think Kirk micromanages and calls every play? Are you nuts? sure it goes through his headset, but I bet he very rarely veto's a play.

I am not talking about wholesale changes here...I'm talking about those drives when KOK runs 3 dives or 3 short passes...etc

He doesnt call the plays but I would bet if he doesnt like the flow of the game or the calls KOK is making he says something and it gets adjusted.

And a solid O-line......You hear/see words like "stale" or "stagnate" as a way to describe the program right now to me that is a way to describe the offense.

I would also add that it seems like our offense can usually seem to move the ball between the 20's.. Yet it just seems like there's typically a point where things break down.. A big penalty, a sack, KOK goes away from what was working and the drive stalls, etc. We end up with a FG, or going for it (and failing) on 4th down from the opponents 33 yard line, or something.

Like the game @Minnesota this year.. Coker had a HUGE first half, and our offense only managed 7 points. Inexplicable.

He doesnt call the plays but I would bet if he doesnt like the flow of the game or the calls KOK is making he says something and it gets adjusted.

I imagine Kirk is pretty hands off...he's the one that makes the kill the clock decisions sure....but in drive decisions? nah.

Latest posts