Kobe

i hope we are still arguing CURRENT best in the league and not the greatest player of all time...show me 2 3-peats with a vacation to play baseball in between them.

the GOAT
michael-jordan-dunking.jpg

Wow, I read the first 3-4 pages of this thread.

Kobe the 3rd best player in the league?

Whoever said that has never watched basketball!

Kobe is "Selfish and his teammates hate him?"

Yeah... That is it. That is why Gasol and Odom BOTH signed extensions, Fisher came back to LA, AND Artest signed to play with LA. All of these guys could have gotten more money elsewhere.

LeBron has better stats and killed him in assists and rebounds?

You do realize that Kobe is 6-6, 225 and LeBron is 6-8, 260. They play different positions, and in different offenses.

If you really think that ANYONE other than Kobe is the best player in the world, you are either an MJ fan with an agenda to hate Kobe because how dare he challenge MJ for the Greatest of All-Time, or you are someone who really does not watch basketball and just spouts off at the mouth.

Fact is Kobe is the best player in the world, and LeBron is the best athlete in the world. They are two different things.

Lastly, out of curiousity, what do you guys use to judge the best player? One of the many things I use, and possibly the most important is who is the best player in the 4th quarter and in particular the last 2 minutes of the game. There is no way you can say anyone other than KB24. Haters are going to have to take a seat here soon when he ties Magic this year w/ 5, and when he eventually passes MJ's 6...

Read this, please:

SLAM ONLINE | Hater Proof

My eyes are playing tricks on me again. I could swear I was in the football section of the forum.

Many of these posts are laughable. Ever single player, peer, announcer & general manager says Kobe is the best in the league. Yet some of you find an argument any ways. I saw an interview with Daniel Stern and he said Kobe was the best in the league. I just saw an interview with the Maloof brothers (Sac) and they said he's the best star of all sports period. Alvin Gentry (Suns HC) just said he's the best in the league. I could go on and on, I really don't need anyones opinions here to justify my claim i just need to watch the NBA experts.

Many of these posts are laughable. Ever single player, peer, announcer & general manager says Kobe is the best in the league. Yet some of you find an argument any ways. I saw an interview with Daniel Stern and he said Kobe was the best in the league. I just saw an interview with the Maloof brothers (Sac) and they said he's the best star of all sports period. Alvin Gentry (Suns HC) just said he's the best in the league. I could go on and on, I really don't need anyones opinions here to justify my claim i just need to watch the NBA experts.
I was also reading articles about the Finals and Garnett thinks he is too. Paul Pierce said this, ""Once you master the mental part of the game, you become a master of the game of basketball. There's only been one master in basketball ever, and that's Michael Jordan, but Kobe is pretty close."

Pierce also said guarding Wade and Lebron helped him prepare for the best player, which he obviously meant Kobe.

I was a huge MJ fan and there will never been another MJ, but Kobe's a lot like him in his mentality and drive. I also think Lebron has the highest ceiling of any player. He's a different breed physically. I think Kobe deserves some praise now though, this doesn't need to be a ******* match between Lebron, Kobe and MJ fans.

And you would lose every time on the second one. Zero rings vs FOUR.

Oh, and I am gonna guess that gravyjones has never watched a basketball game in his life with some of the things he is saying.

Rings does not mean Kobe is a better player...heck he was not even close to the best player on his own team for 3 of those....people are foolish if they think Rings make you the best player...they don't mean jack except that you are on a great team....that is a FACT Kobe has a TON better supporting cast than James has and anybody who over looks that is silly.

Rings does not mean Kobe is a better player...heck he was not even close to the best player on his own team for 3 of those....people are foolish if they think Rings make you the best player...they don't mean jack except that you are on a great team....that is a FACT Kobe has a TON better supporting cast than James has and anybody who over looks that is silly.

First of all, the question was "who would you rather have leading your team into the playoffs?" Anyone who wants to win picks KB24.

As for the part I highlighted above... Well...

Here are Kobe's stats during those years he was "not even close to being the best player" and he "rode Shaq to three rings"...

1999-00:
Regular Season:
Kobe 23 PPG, Shaq 30
Playoffs:
Kobe 21, Shaq 30

2000-2001
Regular Season:
Kobe 29, Shaq 29
Playoffs:
Kobe 29, Shaq 30

2001-2002
Regular Season:
Kobe 25, Shaq 27
Playoffs:
Kobe 27, Shaq 28

To say Kobe was not even close to being the best player, or even better for those who say Shaq would have won those with anyone, is ignorant. Kobe has been doing this for over a decade now. He has been to the Finals 7 out of the last 10 years.

Secondly, rings don't mean jack? So then why is MJ considered the greatest ever? It is because he won 6 out of 8. That is why. Same reason 90 percent of the greatest ever in their sport are recognized as being great. How can you say that rings, which is the prize everyone plays for, don't mean jack? Lol :rolleyes:

First of all, the question was "who would you rather have leading your team into the playoffs?" Anyone who wants to win picks KB24.

As for the part I highlighted above... Well...

Here are Kobe's stats during those years he was "not even close to being the best player" and he "rode Shaq to three rings"...

1999-00:
Regular Season:
Kobe 23 PPG, Shaq 30
Playoffs:
Kobe 21, Shaq 30

2000-2001
Regular Season:
Kobe 29, Shaq 29
Playoffs:
Kobe 29, Shaq 30

2001-2002
Regular Season:
Kobe 25, Shaq 27
Playoffs:
Kobe 27, Shaq 28

To say Kobe was not even close to being the best player, or even better for those who say Shaq would have won those with anyone, is ignorant. Kobe has been doing this for over a decade now. He has been to the Finals 7 out of the last 10 years.

Secondly, rings don't mean jack? So then why is MJ considered the greatest ever? It is because he won 6 out of 8. That is why. Same reason 90 percent of the greatest ever in their sport are recognized as being great. How can you say that rings, which is the prize everyone plays for, don't mean jack? Lol :rolleyes:

Kobe rode Shaqs back for 3 rings. When shaq fouled out and Kobe scored every point in OT to win the game in the finals it was b/c Shaq, when Kobe scored 9 straight 40 point games it was because of Shaq. Kobe was just a average role player. Thats why Chick Hearn felt Shaq & Kobe> Magic & Kareem. Yes, the legendary Chick Hearn said that the Shaq and Kobe duo was the best in Laker history.

In 2001 one Kobe averaged 34 pts, 7 dimes, and 7 boards in the Semis, and 34 9 and 5 against in the conference finals lol. Shaq was the best player on team and in the NBA, but Kobe was a 2nd. And more than a few occasions the best player on the team.

I also want to add I'm not taking away from Shaq's accomplishments. The diesel was extremely dominant and the best player in the NBA, but Kobe deserves a lot of credit for those rings. As Shaq said "It takes two to win. Kobe comes in and punches them in the mouth, than I knock them out, or I come in and punch them in the mouth and Kobe knocks them out."

What part of what I said there is wrong? Gasol is far and away the best player besides Kobe and Lebron on either of those teams but other than that the Cavs are right there with the Lakers. They have a much better bench than LA especially with Bynum being hurt. But really let me know what part of my statement is wrong.

I shouldn't have even dignified this with a response because it's so ridiculous.

Either teams best supporting player: Gasol vs. Jamison. Hmm...wonder who I would take there.

Next: Odom vs. Shaq or Mo Williams? Would you take the fatty who should have retired a few years ago or the guy who turns into a brick machine when the playoffs come around vs. Odom? This seems like another no-brainer here to me.

Next: I don't even know who to pick here for the Cavs since the supporting cast is so weak. Anderson Varejo (haha), Delonte West (disappeared in the playoffs), Anthony Parker (weak) vs. Bynum (soooo much more talented than Varejo, Varejo just plays balls to the wall), Fisher (clutch 3 point shooter, see Brick Williams above btw), or Ron Artest (one of the best defenders in the league or at least used to be).

So there, there was a lot WRONG in your post. I'd love the hear how you can spin this in favor of the notion that the Cavs have a supporting cast comparable to the Lakers. The point is that the Cavs have just a couple of second-tier players who couldn't lead a team by themselves because they'd be horrible. The Lakers have Gasol & Odom. Gasol could easily be the #1 on a few teams and Odom could be a #1, but the team wouldn't be that good due to his inconsistency, but when's he's on watch out. The Lakers have guys who can actually hit big 3 pointers when they need them. LeBron can't carry his team EVERY night (I admit he had a horrible playoffs this year though and I actually lost a lot of faith in him, but he's still young enough) and neither can Kobe, that's when he has Gasol, Odom, or even Bynum to step up and have a huge game though. I'm not even stating that LeBron is better than Kobe because I don't think he has been this year, but to state that the Cavs roster is even close to being as good as the Lakers is absurd. I'm eagerly waiting your response to this. It should be real interesting and probably pretty funny.

Latest posts