Kirks Gone

That is not a measurable argument and honestly not the route of most of their support. I guess I don't know that for sure but neither do you, so really an unfair, loaded statement. One made because you seemingly didn't have anything of substance to say. I agree we need a good DC, but not necessarily anymore than we need good coaches all across the board, so really its a non-statement. I'm also not trying to corner you, just saying it really is a simple and obvious statement. Designed more for reaction than anything else. Or so it seems to me.

The thing is people have been getting all bent out of shape if you suggest Kirk could get fired.

Im stating this is the way I think he could get canned down the road.

It might be in Kirks comfort zone to hire from within, but I think this leaves him no outs.

I think an outside hire gives him the best chances of success. If it turns out to be a bad hire he can try again. Also I think recruiting gets the biggest boost with an outside hire which is better for Kirk in the long run.

I am not a big fan of Kirk. For the people that have similar views as me I think an outside hire brings us back.

I understand what Kirk fans are saying(they are sick of people calling for his head everytime something happens). My money stays in Kinnick anyway you look at. Im just giving some sides and posters can state their side without calling me a loser.

I'm not going to go ballistic if Phil gets the job. Stoops does not excite me, as he would not be working with the amount of talent he had at Oklahoma, and he did not impress at Arizona. Aiken would be a better fit; he has been here before and knows what it takes. Iowa's real problem, which your post points out, is the constantly disappointing offense; and that is not going to change.

Yes. Defense at Iowa is key. If we have good defenses then recruiting goes up on both sides of the ball. Its tough to run the pro style offense and we need talent to make it work. A good defense year in year out helps keep bad seasons at 8 or 9 wins. Which is where I thought we should have been last year and this year.

It's posters like imported ankle that should be banned. Saying people that don't have his same thoughts are losers. Sure adds a lot to a discussion.

Yes. Defense at Iowa is key. If we have good defenses then recruiting goes up on both sides of the ball. Its tough to run the pro style offense and we need talent to make it work. A good defense year in year out helps keep bad seasons at 8 or 9 wins. Which is where I thought we should have been last year and this year.

Maybe you just don't understand college football then. By your standards, even the most historic football teams will fall short of what "you feel" should be "minimum loss" seasons. Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio St., Penn St., Florida, Florida St., Miami, Alabama, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, all have had 7 win regular seasons over the last 5 years. Some of them, multiple times. These programs all have HUGE recruiting advantages over Iowa, along with other advantages (cheating) that many of these programs have been caught at.

Just because you have idiotic and unrealistic expectations, doesn't mean the rest of us do. If we make a bowl game every year, that is a very good "bad" year. Then if we can mix in Big10 Championships, or BCS bowl games, or 10 win season in with those, that is a good track record. This doesn't mean I don't WANT them to be great every year, because of course I do want that. At the same time, some fans on here need to see the reality of college FB. Even the historic college football programs who are cheating, are still having down years where they win 7 regular season games.

The thing is people have been getting all bent out of shape if you suggest Kirk could get fired.

Im stating this is the way I think he could get canned down the road.

It might be in Kirks comfort zone to hire from within, but I think this leaves him no outs.

I think an outside hire gives him the best chances of success. If it turns out to be a bad hire he can try again. Also I think recruiting gets the biggest boost with an outside hire which is better for Kirk in the long run.

I am not a big fan of Kirk. For the people that have similar views as me I think an outside hire brings us back.

I understand what Kirk fans are saying(they are sick of people calling for his head everytime something happens). My money stays in Kinnick anyway you look at. Im just giving some sides and posters can state their side without calling me a loser.

BTW why are you surprised when people react negatively to this thread? You self admittedly titled it the way you did to get a reaction. So basically you were trolling, and then you are shocked that people treat you like a troll. If you would have just titled the tread appropriately, and then said this, people wouldn't treat you like a troll.....

Thanks for the football 101 lesson. Defense is key at Iowa.. Yep you are correct. I would guess that is true for a vast majority of football programs so I hope you let all of the fan bases know this to help them through their tough times of not getting 8 or 9 wins every season.

BTW why are you surprised when people react negatively to this thread? You self admittedly titled it the way you did to get a reaction. So basically you were trolling, and then you are shocked that people treat you like a troll. If you would have just titled the tread appropriately, and then said this, people wouldn't treat you like a troll.....

Pretty much this. Also notice, during the history of the thread, the OP obviously just sat on his computer for three straight hours waiting for someone to respond to his posts. He was obviously looking for a flame war, and he got it, particularly when his best response was "Durr, y u KF lovers getting mat at me?".

Of course, why else would a guy title a thread (sic)"Kirks Gone", when his point is "Kirk will be gone in a few years if the defense does not produce at a high level like it did the past few years". Why not just title a thread "Kirk's Dead"?

Out of the 47 thread responses here over half are from OUTofTOWNHAWK now I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the topic but I thought there might be more content to 4 pages of this "hot" topic being discussed. I again I have to quote from the book of Steve Deace which could only be appreciated over the airwaves regarding this topic. -Silent background- Steve is tapping his fingers on the desk, a big breath of air being released. "Can we move on please".

Out of the 47 thread responses here over half are from OUTofTOWNHAWK now I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the topic but I thought there might be more content to 4 pages of this "hot" topic being discussed. I again I have to quote from the book of Steve Deace which could only be appreciated over the airwaves regarding this topic. -Silent background- Steve is tapping his fingers on the desk, a big breath of air being released. "Can we move on please".

tumblr_lvy48j8XtL1r1paob.png

i_love_my_computer.jpg

This place is a mad house, where do all these freakin people come from. Maybe they should have lived during the Iowa seasons of the 60's and 70"s and they would appreciate what they have. I am not happy, but I am guessing neither is Coach.

I'm willing to bet he is happy all the way to the bank.

Maybe you just don't understand college football then. By your standards, even the most historic football teams will fall short of what "you feel" should be "minimum loss" seasons. Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio St., Penn St., Florida, Florida St., Miami, Alabama, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, all have had 7 win regular seasons over the last 5 years. Some of them, multiple times. These programs all have HUGE recruiting advantages over Iowa, along with other advantages (cheating) that many of these programs have been caught at.

Just because you have idiotic and unrealistic expectations, doesn't mean the rest of us do. If we make a bowl game every year, that is a very good "bad" year. Then if we can mix in Big10 Championships, or BCS bowl games, or 10 win season in with those, that is a good track record. This doesn't mean I don't WANT them to be great every year, because of course I do want that. At the same time, some fans on here need to see the reality of college FB. Even the historic college football programs who are cheating, are still having down years where they win 7 regular season games.

Hey good for you. If you are happy with 4 wins then thats your deal.

What I was saying is Norm has kept the program steady not Kirk IMO.

This year and last we lost to Minny so I dont think one more win last year and this year is crazy.

Thanks for the football 101 lesson. Defense is key at Iowa.. Yep you are correct. I would guess that is true for a vast majority of football programs so I hope you let all of the fan bases know this to help them through their tough times of not getting 8 or 9 wins every season.

Point being that Norm has more to do with the success in the last 10 years than Kirk.

I think you may have a point. I think Jon put something recently that proved the point that most years we were successful because of our defense. When we have had to rely on our offense, we really.struggled.

Agree so having said that is there anyone here that thinks the KOK deserves 10 more years so we can stay somewhere between 70th-80th for total offense. You can't consistently be a TOp 20 team with offensive crap stats like that.

If a new DC eventually gets Iowa's defense to a 'high level', IMO, you guys shouldn't pine about Norm leaving.

IMO, Ferentz won't pine.

Ferentz is worried now. He relies on defense and Iowa's defense has been mediocre the last 2 seasons.

Last edited:
Hey good for you. If you are happy with 4 wins then thats your deal.

What I was saying is Norm has kept the program steady not Kirk IMO.

This year and last we lost to Minny so I dont think one more win last year and this year is crazy.

Nowhere in his post did he so much as hint at being satisfied with 4 wins. Straw men and deflection do nothing to validate your opinion.

No need to respond, I'll do it for you:

"Still mad, brah?"

Latest posts