Kirk & his neighbors...

#1. I hate HOAs
#2. Nobody should have to conform to something they didn't agree to.
#3. I don't doubt that Mary said that.
HOA's just plain suck. it's a lose lose proposition. The one I am stuck with is a bunch of old people imposing their will to control everyone around them. As they have little control of their own lives and seemingly want everybody to be as miserable as they are. Schadenfreude at it's finest.

There has been massive drama with my HOA. Our building has some water issues. $2.3 million is what an engineering firm told us it would cost to fix. Board approved the special assessment. But over half the people in the building don't have the cash to pay, so they voted it down in a member meeting. The competent people on the board resigned and the meeting to elect a new board was about 10x as confrontational as the 2016 presidential election.

The ringleader of "the resistance" is some post Wall alpha widow who is trying to sell her place and thinks that if the special assessment gets killed she won't have to pay it. The financials for the association say in bold and all caps right on page 1 "The Balance Sheet does not include any liability for the contemplated $4 million special assessment to repair water leakage issues" or something similar. I asked this woman if she thinks she is better off with that $4 million line item or just letting the $2.3 million assessment happen and she literally cannot comprehend the issue - she thinks the $4 million line item has absolutely no bearing on her ability to sell and doesn't realize that bince she owns about 1% of the building, she has to escrow $40k until the special assessment is resolved in order to sell and that any reasonable buyer is going to make her pay the special.

Moral of the story - stay the hell away from HOAs because being in one will give you insight into how stupid and financially irresponsible people are and you don't need to own a common enterprise with morons.

Yet you bought into one. Poetic justice? Or, perhaps, just a bit of delicious irony?

Do you remember when Johnson County wanted to put a new paved road close to the Ferentz Property? Most everyone in that area were upset and let the Board of Supervisors know at multiple meetings. Kirk showed up for at least one of them. Johnson County dropped it.

I am pretty sure Kirk bought up a bunch of land preventing this from happening again. Or at least lowers the chances I suppose.

If true, then his neighbors should be grateful the way I look at it. Unless you are a neighbor looking to develop. ?? Just gotta keep your trees trimmed up and stop your assistants from blocking access. If true. Take Parker and the gang to the IHOP on Sunday mornings!! :D

Property Rights? Civil Liberties? Or simply rich people playing different versions of real life monopoly?

Kirk buying up land so it WON'T be developed and the other just trying to pursue his capitalist dream??

Kirk is going to win this one. Radiologists don't make what the 10th highest compensated coach in the country makes. And I imagine Kirk's bank account is much larger as well even if his financial advisor is as conservative as him.

BTW another one of Kirk's neighbors is a realtor/developer, for what it is worth.

Yet you bought into one. Poetic justice? Or, perhaps, just a bit of delicious irony?

You don't have a choice for a multifamily building. I just want to make sure others are aware of the risk so they don't get fleeced by some clown like this guy trying to defraud the Captain.

I read the first line of your post and am replying to that. Who cares what the character of Buatti is. That shouldn't influence the character of KF should it? Many on this board are basing KF's coaching talents on his character.

No, two separate entities in my book. Nothing to do with each other.

Yes, Kirk is a monster for forcing kids to bike on a gravel road, and for telling an intrusive neighbor with no legal grounds to get bent.

It's not even a heavily traveled road. It's a relatively short road with a turn-around at the end. Only has a few houses that it serves.

Do you remember when Johnson County wanted to put a new paved road close to the Ferentz Property? Most everyone in that area were upset and let the Board of Supervisors know at multiple meetings. Kirk showed up for at least one of them. Johnson County dropped it.

I am pretty sure Kirk bought up a bunch of land preventing this from happening again. Or at least lowers the chances I suppose.

If true, then his neighbors should be grateful the way I look at it. Unless you are a neighbor looking to develop. ?? Just gotta keep your trees trimmed up and stop your assistants from blocking access. If true. Take Parker and the gang to the IHOP on Sunday mornings!! :D

I was going to mention this. This was a couple years ago. They wanted to connect the end of their road to Newport Rd which would have been thru some farmland or pasture. I don't think Kirk bought up any land to stop it, he prob just opposed so they dropped it.

Property Rights? Civil Liberties? Or simply rich people playing different versions of real life monopoly?

Kirk buying up land so it WON'T be developed and the other just trying to pursue his capitalist dream??

Kirk is going to win this one. Radiologists don't make what the 10th highest compensated coach in the country makes. And I imagine Kirk's bank account is much larger as well even if his financial advisor is as conservative as him.

BTW another one of Kirk's neighbors is a realtor/developer, for what it is worth.

My broth-in-law is a radiologist and he makes some pretty good change, not KF change, but still excellent.

You don't have a choice for a multifamily building. I just want to make sure others are aware of the risk so they don't get fleeced by some clown like this guy trying to defraud the Captain.

What caused you to go prole and purchase in a "multifamily building"? I thought you were all about largesse?

What caused you to go prole and purchase in a "multifamily building"? I thought you were all about largesse?

Location and price. Day like today you don't want to be more than a few blocks from train. To get into my neighborhood in a single family, you're prolly looking at close to $2 million for something decent and at least another 8 minutes on the walk to the train. I ain't got $2 million and I sure ain't gonna borrow that. Oh yeah, and taxes, too. I hate paying taxes and the taxes on the SFHs in my hood are way over $20k a year.

Location and price. Day like today you don't want to be more than a few blocks from train. To get into my neighborhood in a single family, you're prolly looking at close to $2 million for something decent and at least another 8 minutes on the walk to the train. I ain't got $2 million and I sure ain't gonna borrow that. Oh yeah, and taxes, too. I hate paying taxes and the taxes on the SFHs in my hood are way over $20k a year.

Yikes! That's some seriously expensive housing!

I also thought it was funny that they claimed they wanted to pave the road for their kids safety. A paved road and more houses means more cars. More cars equals greater chance of your kids being hit by cars.

SAFETY

He means the trust fund he's going to leave for the kids. He wants to increase the trust fund to plan for his kid's safety in the future.

HOAs are in may ways communistic. That's not an over-exaggeration by any means. They are overseeing bodies of quasi-government that take money from their public in the form of fines, for trivial, BS-matters. More often than not, HOA bylaws are abused by others for petty personal gripes. Yes, I know... 'their public' are people who willingly agreed upfront to live there and live under their rules...but
They are un-American, no matter how you spin it.
America! - Love it or Leave it!!!

So makes me want to move to Chi-town!

HOAs are in may ways communistic. That's not an over-exaggeration by any means. They are overseeing bodies of quasi-government that take money from their public in the form of fines, for trivial, BS-matters. More often than not, HOA bylaws are abused by others for petty personal gripes. Yes, I know... 'their public' are people who willingly agreed upfront to live there and live under their rules...but
We should talk about property taxes.

This is hysterical. The US has always been strong about protecting property rights. If the US was the same now as it was 200 plus years ago...what a place.

Any democracy is about change in rules and laws. Each HOA is different with some good and others bad, but that view is oft dependent on which side of a debate you are on. You buy property anywhere close to civilization and the rules are going to change. The metro area is one of the few in the state that is actually showing some growth.

Our whole country is about people with deep pockets trying to change rules for their advantage. It's also about people fighting that, some with altruistic intentions and others with personal gain intention. It happens in families, it happens in Govts and neighborhoods.

In this case you have two opponents with deep pockets with opposing views. Eventually the area will become more developed and things will change.

If I had deep pockets one of the first thing I would change would be to ban Iowa limestone roads like most other states have gone away from. It is an air quality issue. In the US, 67% of particle contaminants in the air are from gravel roads.

Latest posts