Kirk Ferentz era All Star team vs. 2012-2013 BCS Alabama team

After reading some of the comments in this thread I believe I may stop visiting this site so I'm never infected with "the stupid".

WR: I would place Moeacki here with DJK and Solomon, CJ Jones, McNutt, Mo Brown. Moeacki is fast enough to play a hybrid slot TE to cause major match up issues.

not sure what you wrote after this, because I stopped reading at this point. I think you were on track, but you invalidated all of your opinions by recommending that Moeaki start at WR, with Clark at TE. Also you left out Eric Steinbach in your OL write up. Sloppy effort at best.

BTW, OL would be:

LT Gallery
LG Yanda
C Nelson
RG Steinbach
RT Bulaga/Reiff

not sure what you wrote after this, because I stopped reading at this point. I think you were on track, but you invalidated all of your opinions by recommending that Moeaki start at WR, with Clark at TE. Also you left out Eric Steinbach in your OL write up. Sloppy effort at best.

BTW, OL would be:

LT Gallery
LG Yanda
C Nelson
RG Steinbach
RT Bulaga/Reiff

It's easy to pick out the NFL guys, but you take away Dace's and Lee Gray's injuries and they would have been as good as anyone on that list with maybe the exception of Gallery and Steinbach. I'd prolly move Gallery to guard because he was so fast he would absolutely steamroll fools on plays where he pulled. That Illinois game where he caught the DB after a pick and proceeded to plant him was one of the greatest plays I've ever seen an Iowa lineman make. Glory days, oh they'll pass ya by glory days.

I cannot see anywhere in my post where I suggest that Iowa would "blow out" Alabama. Even if Iowa had a talented enough team to "blow out" Alabama the coaching staff would figure out a way to keep it close.

This. The '05 ISU team would probably eff everything up that Iowa wouldn't even make it to the BCS title game.

Heck even the 2010 team would have played this Alabama team better than Notre Dame did last night. You combine all the talent from the past 14 years and on paper the dominate Alabama.

I know how impressive Alabama looked last night but remember Notre Dame played like crap. They gave up chunks of yardage because they forgot how to tackle. Oregon may have beaten Alabama last night.

You've got to remember that some of the people that think Alabama would win have only seen them once this year and probably don't know how much they struggled this year against a down SEC.

You've got to remember that some of the people that think Alabama would win have only seen them once this year and probably don't know how much they struggled this year against a down SEC.

I am wondering if some actually watched the game or just seen highlights along with the final score. Notre Dame played like crap, I have seen high school football teams tackle better than Notre Dame did last night. Yeah Alabama looked pretty good, but Notre Dame looked like crap!

I am wondering if some actually watched the game or just seen highlights along with the final score. Notre Dame played like crap, I have seen high school football teams tackle better than Notre Dame did last night. Yeah Alabama looked pretty good, but Notre Dame looked like crap!

I did enjoy the smell of money burning every time Teo whiffed while trying to tackle Alabama's NFL caliber athletes. Hawaiian Katzenmoyer. Seems like he'd be decent in some coverage role but man oh man I can't imagine you'd want him trying to clog the middle on third and short against some stud like Shonn Greene. He might be able to be coached out of it, though. It was kind of like watching a bad flashback of Greenway in 2005.

I confess when I started this thread I didn't consider depth. I meant more along the lines of our best guys in Kirk's tenure with backups being our usual slow, unathletic schlubs. You know dbags like Trey Stross who single handedly destroy games, like he did against O$U during JVB's greatest and first game as a starter.

I would actually take CJF over Meyers at the 2nd TE with a good QB he could be a much better player.

Based on what? CJF has never shown anything to suggest he's an all-star. He's had two full years on the field now, and is still a big time enigma. Maybe he'll finally blossom next season. But it would be idiotic at this point to take him over the proven production of Myers, who by the way put up Pro Bowl-caliber numbers this year for Oakland. He is easily one of the top two or three most underrated players of the last decade in Iowa City, and I can't think of anyone who was more underrated.

Other then QB and WR we could put together a pretty darn good NFL team. We would have the best O line in the history of college football. We would have the best tight end of 02, the best running back of 08, a defensive player of the year in the NFL at safety, the most accurate field goal kicker in the history of the NFL, and a heisman runner up at QB. I don't even think Kirk could keep Alabama close in that one.

The all star Iowa team would absolutely crush Bama. Get real man.

Really, a "Get real man" in this thread? After all this thread is based solely on hypothetical situation that cannot or nor will ever have answer that can possible be able to be proven as a right answer.

Yep, "get real man" is right.

BTW, OL would be:

LT Gallery
LG Yanda
C Nelson
RG Steinbach
RT Bulaga/Reiff

****** bag response, at best! This is a fan contributed sports thread not a journalistic, vetted research piece so if I missed a couple of players, F U. You are now appointed, 'editor at-large' for this site. I will be sure to notify Jon immediately.

Moeaki is being used in the slot quite a bit in the NFL and was at times at Iowa. Are you not paying attention to trends in football. The Patriots use their TEs in the slot and sometimes out wide.
My placement of Moeaki at this hybrid position would allow Iowa to have their most talented players on the field at the same time. You can start Clark at the slot TE and Moeaki at TE, doesnt really matter that much does it. And because Iowa's receiver group is probably the 'weakest' position over KFs tenure, it makes good football sense to have both on the field.

Agreed, Steinbach and Nelson are excellent inclusions for the OL; but I was just going off the cuff on a sports thread, not doing journalistic research

****** bag response, at best! This is a fan contributed sports thread not a journalistic, vetted research piece so if I missed a couple of players, F U. You are now appointed, 'editor at-large' for this site. I will be sure to notify Jon immediately.

Moeaki is being used in the slot quite a bit in the NFL and was at times at Iowa. Are you not paying attention to trends in football. The Patriots use their TEs in the slot and sometimes out wide.
My placement of Moeaki at this hybrid position would allow Iowa to have their most talented players on the field at the same time. You can start Clark at the slot TE and Moeaki at TE, doesnt really matter that much does it. And because Iowa's receiver group is probably the 'weakest' position over KFs tenure, it makes good football sense to have both on the field.

Agreed, Steinbach and Nelson are excellent inclusions for the OL; but I was just going off the cuff on a sports thread, not doing journalistic research

Wow, let's temper the anger here on this hypo thread. It's uncalled for. I mean, you clearly demonstrated that you don't know anything about Iowa football pre-2003 so I understand you just recently jumped on the bandwagon, but that's no reason to get salty with bws.

Calm down.

Enjoy your ban.

Really, a "Get real man" in this thread? After all this thread is based solely on hypothetical situation that cannot or nor will ever have answer that can possible be able to be proven as a right answer.

Yep, "get real man" is right.

No, seriously...get real man. If you think that a compilation of what are almost entirely NFL starters wouldn't beat a young Alabama team then you are a clown. So again....get real man.

No, seriously...get real man. If you think that a compilation of what are almost entirely NFL starters wouldn't beat a young Alabama team then you are a clown. So again....get real man.

You can't compare how an NFL player and a college player would play against each other, it isn't a fair scenario unless you start to change the ages of players.

So if you take Robert Gallery for example, is Robert at 18 years old or 20 years old, even 25 year old? How old is he?

Besides who is to say that 1-4 years from now that many of not all of this Alabama team is in the NFL?

Ok, I am a clown and I will "get real" with hypothetical situations that cannot be proven as FACT.

So again...I will "get real".

Latest posts