Kirk Ferentz era All Star team vs. 2012-2013 BCS Alabama team

Things I think about this matchup:
1. Iowa would run a lot of 2 TE/1 RB sets.
2. On a 70 play schedule, Shonn Greene would run 25 times, Ladell Betts would run 12 times, Jermelle Lewis would run 3 times, Brad Banks would run 5 times, and Brad Banks would throw 25 times.
3. Iowa's biggest personnel weakness, WR, would be nullified by Iowa's biggest personnel strength, TE. Dallas Clark was effectively a 3rd WR out of the TE spot.
4. Iowa's biggest schematic weakness over the years, quality depth, would be almost completely nullified.
5. Related to #4, Iowa's (constantly fresh) front four would put tons of pressure on McCarron, allowing for Parker's no blitz pressure to work to maximum proficiency.
6. Iowa would have a major advantage in special teams with Donahue, Kaeding, and a bunch of future NFL guys on coverage/return units.
7. An All-Star Iowa coaching staff, with Ron Aiken, Bret Bielema, Norm Parker, and Joe Philbin would have Iowa prepared to dominate physically and mentally.

I really don't think it would be that close of a game.
Iowa Ferentz-Era All-Stars 45, '12 Alabama 7
Nice

first off, no FB ... 2 TEs would be better talent-wise, plus it helps out our passing game tremendously

a look at the skill positions ...

Pos) Starter ... Backup
QB) Banks ... Stanzi
RB) Greene ... Betts
TE1) Clark ... Chandler
TE2) Moeaki ... Myers
WR1) DJK ... Solomon
WR2) McNutt ... Mo Brown
K) Kaeding ... Meyer
P) Baker ... Donahue

add in our awesome OL and we can move the ball on any college team.

Where's Zeron?!

2. On a 70 play schedule, Shonn Greene would run 25 times, Ladell Betts would run 12 times, Jermelle Lewis would run 3 times, Brad Banks would run 5 times, and Brad Banks would throw 25 times.
3. Iowa's biggest personnel weakness, WR, would be nullified by Iowa's biggest personnel strength, TE. Dallas Clark was effectively a 3rd WR out of the TE spot.
4. Iowa's biggest schematic weakness over the years, quality depth, would be almost completely nullified.
5. Related to #4, Iowa's (constantly fresh) front four would put tons of pressure on McCarron, allowing for Parker's no blitz pressure to work to maximum proficiency.
6. Iowa would have a major advantage in special teams with Donahue, Kaeding, and a bunch of future NFL guys on coverage/return units.
7. An All-Star Iowa coaching staff, with Ron Aiken, Bret Bielema, Norm Parker, and Joe Philbin would have Iowa prepared to dominate physically and mentally.

I never thought about the depth when I started this thread. Our D-Line would constantly have fresh legs. Never thought about the coaching angle much either.

Well thought out and presented...I tend to agree with selections and outcome...I can sleep easier tonight.

Finally, a post with an injection of sanity. All-star Iowa would crush this Alabama team.
Every single player on the Iowa squad was at least drafted, with the exception of WR (but don't forget Hinkel was money when you needed a big catch).
Also, half the starters on this Alabama team won't make it to the NFL. They are loaded with talent but not an actual NFL team, unlike Iowa all-stars.

Some people seem to think Alabama could beat a bad NFL team, obviously they couldn't and the idea that they could is stupid. With that being said, the fact that plenty of people believe it, would seem to indicate that Alabama could most likely take even an Iowa all-star team to the woodshed.

Half the players listed were below average NFL players or didn't even play while most of Alabama's starters will be drafted fairly high. At least a handful will be 1st round picks. So not only do I believe Alabama has the talent advantage but Nick Saban is clearly a better coach than CKF. Saban may be the greatest college coach of all time. He's won 3 of the past 4 championships, 4 total and won championships at two different schools. The national championship has run through the SEC for seven straight years which means he not only won 4 championships but had to make it out of the best conference with one loss or less to get there.

So, Saban and Alabama would win imo. Their offensive line was the best in the country and Barrett Jones is arguably the greatest college OL ever. He won 3 national championships while starting at three different positions in the title games. Alabama is used to winning with defense and they ranked 1st as usual allowing only 10.9pts. But this time around, they also ranked 12th in scoring with 38.7pts in arguably the best defensive conference in the country. I point that out because in the past they won without a great QB and their offense didn't score as much. Look at their offensive stats this season to go along with their number one defense.

McCarron - 2,933yds 9.34ypa 67.2% 30tds 3ints
Lacy - 1,355 6.5ypa 17tds
Yeldon - 1,108 6.3ypa 12tds

On average, they were essentially getting a first down every time McCarron attempted a pass. And look how evenly distributed the offense was. 3,052yds passing and 3,185yds rushing. 31tds passing and 37tds rushing. On top of having to go through the gauntlet of the SEC, look at their numbers against Notre Dame's number two defense. McCarron 20/28 264yds 9.43ypa 71.4% 4tds 0ints. Lacy 140yds 7.0ypa 1td. Yeldon 108yds 5.1ypa 1td. That's virtually identical to the numbers they averaged all season. It took a Heisman QB that did what only two other QB's have ever done in a season to take Alabama down.

Obviously Alabama isn't unbeatable seeing as they lost a game and I do think an Iowa all-star team could beat Alabama but I would take Alabama 9 out of 10 times.

We win 9 out of 10 times. Bama is good but come on now. 14 years of talent pieced together?

I agree on the 9 out of 10 times but think it would be Bama that wins.

It may 14 years of talent but how many of them were top 25 at their position? I bet every starter on Alabama is with a lot of them top 5-10 for their class. Most of Alabama's starters will be drafted and so will a lot of the guys behind them. Alabama has a ton of depth and is stacked. Not to mention the fact that Nick Saban is one of the greatest coaches ever.

Finally, a post with an injection of sanity. All-star Iowa would crush this Alabama team.
Every single player on the Iowa squad was at least drafted, with the exception of WR (but don't forget Hinkel was money when you needed a big catch).
Also, half the starters on this Alabama team won't make it to the NFL. They are loaded with talent but not an actual NFL team, unlike Iowa all-stars.

Not sure if serious. Almost every Alabama starter will be drafted... they just won a championship with 6 sophomores, 8 juniors and 8 seniors starting. That means 73% of their championship team has the option to return next season. They finished 1st in points allowed and 12th in points scored. Most of these kids were ranked in the top 25 at their position when they were recruited.

Offense position rankings

Defense position rankings

All but two starters were ranked in the top 26 at their position coming out of high school. You really believe half the starters won't get drafted? Half their team will probably be drafted in the first 3 rounds. 12 of their starters were in the top 7 at their position when they were recruited...

Heck even the 2010 team would have played this Alabama team better than Notre Dame did last night. You combine all the talent from the past 14 years and on paper the dominate Alabama.

I know how impressive Alabama looked last night but remember Notre Dame played like crap. They gave up chunks of yardage because they forgot how to tackle. Oregon may have beaten Alabama last night.

It's late but here is my off the cuff starters without delving into things

QB Banks
RB Greene
FB Morse?
LT Gallery
RT Bulaga
LG Steinbach
RG Reiff
WR DJK
WR 3M
TE Clark

Defense

DE Roth
DE Clayborne
DT Ballard
DT Babineaux
LB Angerer
LB Greenway
LB Hodge
DB Prater
SS Sanders
FS Considine?
DB (......)

It's going to be hard to win without somebody snapping the ball.

Heck even the 2010 team would have played this Alabama team better than Notre Dame did last night. You combine all the talent from the past 14 years and on paper the dominate Alabama.

I know how impressive Alabama looked last night but remember Notre Dame played like crap. They gave up chunks of yardage because they forgot how to tackle. Oregon may have beaten Alabama last night.

Agree to disagree about Iowa dominating Alabama. I'd give Iowa 10% chance to win at all. And yeah, Oregon might have beat Alabama. Oregon also has Nike money and has built a team out of the top recruits in the country with a hurry up offense. I don't think some people realize how highly touted the talent on Alabama and Oregon is compared all of those Iowa players listed and how much better their coaching is. Aside from the running game, I think Alabama's defense would have a field day against the passing game if you're trotting out the offense listed on the first page. I guess people have forgotten what Brad Banks, Jermell Lewis, Dallas Clark, Robert Gallery, Eric Steinbach, Jonathan Babeneix, Bob Sanders, Matt Roth etc. looked like against USC. That game wasn't even close and even Seneca Wallace single handedly beat them.

And no, 2010 Iowa would not have put up a better fight against Alabama last night. I think people picking Iowa seriously have black and gold colored glasses on. Remember those awesome Ohio State teams? They got crushed in the championship against the SEC. This Alabama team was better than that Florida and LSU team. And you're talking about Oregon beating Alabama but go look how many points Oregon scored the season they played Auburn and look how many points Auburn allowed. Auburn allowed a lot of points and they still shut down Oregon's offense. Same with Florida against Oklahoma's record setting offense, they scored 14 points.

People are seriously over estimating this all-star Iowa team and underestimating Alabama's championship team. Most of that all-star Iowa team is the same team that lost to Iowa State and got blown out by USC. Not sure why anyone believes they'd have any more success against the #1 defense and #12 offense on a team that just won 3 of the past 4 championships in a conference that's won 7 championships in a row. They've taken down better teams like Oregon and Oklahoma. Some of you are acting like Alabama putting up 42 on Notre Dame's defense is no big deal. Notre Dame was undefeated against Oklahoma, Stanford, USC, Michigan, Michigan State, Miami, BYU, Boston College, Pittsburgh... that's a better schedule than most teams play.

To each their own but I think anyone who believes that Iowa team would blow Alabama out is crazy. I don't think that team would beat Alabama at all.

I cannot see anywhere in my post where I suggest that Iowa would "blow out" Alabama. Even if Iowa had a talented enough team to "blow out" Alabama the coaching staff would figure out a way to keep it close.

Exactly. I think most top 40 teams all-stars over that time frame would beat a single team easy. Especially Iowa's when they can fill the team with way more NFL talent than most.

Agree to disagree about Iowa dominating Alabama. I'd give Iowa 10% chance to win at all. And yeah, Oregon might have beat Alabama..

So you don't think an Iowa all-star team with NFL talent could beat Texas A&M?

That is just dumb.

Agree to disagree about Iowa dominating Alabama. I'd give Iowa 10% chance to win at all. And yeah, Oregon might have beat Alabama. Oregon also has Nike money and has built a team out of the top recruits in the country with a hurry up offense. I don't think some people realize how highly touted the talent on Alabama and Oregon is compared all of those Iowa players listed and how much better their coaching is. Aside from the running game, I think Alabama's defense would have a field day against the passing game if you're trotting out the offense listed on the first page. I guess people have forgotten what Brad Banks, Jermell Lewis, Dallas Clark, Robert Gallery, Eric Steinbach, Jonathan Babeneix, Bob Sanders, Matt Roth etc. looked like against USC. That game wasn't even close and even Seneca Wallace single handedly beat them.

And no, 2010 Iowa would not have put up a better fight against Alabama last night. I think people picking Iowa seriously have black and gold colored glasses on. Remember those awesome Ohio State teams? They got crushed in the championship against the SEC. This Alabama team was better than that Florida and LSU team. And you're talking about Oregon beating Alabama but go look how many points Oregon scored the season they played Auburn and look how many points Auburn allowed. Auburn allowed a lot of points and they still shut down Oregon's offense. Same with Florida against Oklahoma's record setting offense, they scored 14 points.

People are seriously over estimating this all-star Iowa team and underestimating Alabama's championship team. Most of that all-star Iowa team is the same team that lost to Iowa State and got blown out by USC. Not sure why anyone believes they'd have any more success against the #1 defense and #12 offense on a team that just won 3 of the past 4 championships in a conference that's won 7 championships in a row. They've taken down better teams like Oregon and Oklahoma. Some of you are acting like Alabama putting up 42 on Notre Dame's defense is no big deal. Notre Dame was undefeated against Oklahoma, Stanford, USC, Michigan, Michigan State, Miami, BYU, Boston College, Pittsburgh... that's a better schedule than most teams play.

To each their own but I think anyone who believes that Iowa team would blow Alabama out is crazy. I don't think that team would beat Alabama at all.

Sorry, but I will take proven NFL starters and players any day of the week over highly rated high school recruits yet to be drafted. Not sure if you really understand the difference in talent between college and NFL. Claiming that Alabama will have all of their players drafted is overstating things a bit. You must have gotten kicked in the head by a mule as a kid.

Offense:
Iowa OL:
3 NFL first round picks: Gallery, Bulaga, Reiff. Add 2 time pro bowler Marshall Yanda and take your pick of any of the other 5 or 6 lineman that were drafted and that is one hell of an O-Line. I think ANY NFL team would take proven NFL talent over prospects.
QB: Banks. It was proven this year that AL struggled a bit defensively against a really mobile QB.
RB: Ladell Betts and Shonn Greene are proven NFL players.
TE: No contest here. Iowa is stacked with talent. All pro Dallas Clark and Myers are my choices.
WR: I would place Moeacki here with DJK and Solomon, CJ Jones, McNutt, Mo Brown. Moeacki is fast enough to play a hybrid slot TE to cause major match up issues. The other WRs are definitely serviceable, especially since AL secondary was suspect at times (according to pre BCS championship analysts).

Defense:
DL: Kampman, Roth, Ballard, Daniels, Claiborne, King, Klug, Babineaux, Iwebema. Alabama's O-line is great, so this is probably the best match up of talent going head to head.
LB: Angerer, Edds, Greenway, Hodge. This is a really good group that can stop the run and great in pass coverage.
DBs: Considine, Sanders (NFL Defensive MVP), Sash, Speivey, Godfrey, Fletcher, Hyde (nickel). This group could flat out play man-to-man and win a predominance of the time. And they can tackle!

Special Teams: Baker and Kaeding. Two Pro Bowlers. This definitely trumps Alabama

Returners: DJK and Hinkel. Maybe CJ Jones.

Coaching: Saban is better hands down but you forget assistant coaches. I will take Norm Parker (DC) and Joe Philbin (OC) and Bielema (position coach).

EVERY single GM and coach in the NFL would take the Iowa All-stars over this 'single' Alabama team ANY day of the week and especially on Sundays!
Now, compare the Alabama all-star talent to Iowa over the same time frame and we have a real debate.

howdy to answer your question about how many of them were top 25 at their position - they all were as they were drafted into the NFL as such. I don't dispute Alabama is excellent, but this isn't really even a question. With the exception of QB and WR, the Iowa roster is nearly all top 3 round draft picks. The recruiting rankings are largely irrelevant when you have the actual production of their college careers to measure. Would you take the Alabama safeties over Bob Sanders? They were most definitely rated higher by recruiting agencies. What about an outland trophy winner like Gallery?

This Alabama team is Saban's weakest title time yet. Their defense was nowhere near as good as last year's. They faced an easy schedule and the 2.5 teams with decent offenses (Georgia, Texas A&M and LSU) put up almost 30/game on them. A KF all-star teams wins easily. Iowa's offensive line would be unbelievable, 3 first round picks including one of the best tackles to play in this century. We'd have the best RB in the country, plus solid WR's and the best TE pair since Shockey and Winslow Jr at Miami. Zach Mettenberg was able to throw for almost 300 yards on this Bama team, pretty sure Banks would be able to light them up since Alabama would have to load the box or we would just run it down their throat all day.

The defense would be unbelievable, at every skill group. Special teams would be outstanding. Seriously, any one who thinks Alabama would win is crazy. The blew out an average ND team, a team who only beat Purdue by 3 and took 3 OT's to beat Pitt at home. This Iowa team would have NFL talent at every position (except maybe WR), it wouldn't be close.

Iowa has had 42 NFL players on their team in the past 14 years. So almost one third of the roster and most of the key players would be NFL talent. The team would also just have too much depth since the entire 125 man roater would be great players in their prime. I never saw that other team play but I am sure that no single year college team could beat the all KF team.

Latest posts