Kirk Ferentz era All Star team vs. 2012-2013 BCS Alabama team

All of Kirk's best guys on one team, versus this 2012 Alabama team. Who wins? I honestly believe we would keep it close. I don't think we would win though.

who's the QB ... Banks?

Our OL would be f'ing awesome ... we win I think, honestly

OL would be outstanding, and with Shonn Greene, and maybe a healthy Jermelle Lewis as his back-up, running the ball would not be a problem. We would also have an incredible Front 7 on D, with Bob Sanders coming up often in run support. The biggest problem for Iowa would be the passing game. McNutt and DJK are arguably the two greatest receivers in Iowa history, and they can't get a sniff in the NFL. Bama puts basically an NFL D on the field, especially the back 7. I would assume Stanzi would be the QB and would have a few ill-advised turnovers throughout the game. Would be an interesting matchup.

All of Kirk's best guys on one team, versus this 2012 Alabama team. Who wins? I honestly believe we would keep it close. I don't think we would win though.

This bama team still has the edge on talent. Who has the coaching edge is not worth even mentioning.

Bama wins by a similar score to tonight's.

FreedComanche

It's late but here is my off the cuff starters without delving into things

QB Banks
RB Greene
FB Morse?
LT Gallery
RT Bulaga
LG Steinbach
RG Reiff
WR DJK
WR 3M
TE Clark

Defense

DE Roth
DE Clayborne
DT Ballard
DT Babineaux
LB Angerer
LB Greenway
LB Hodge
DB Prater
SS Sanders
FS Considine?
DB (......)

An all-time Ferentz team would still be pretty outclassed in the passing game. Receiving crew of guys like McNutt, DJK, Soloman, Brodell, Brown, and Hill wouldn't be getting open against this Alabama team. Our all-time best offensive line would put up a fight against the front seven of bama, but without balance in the passing game, we'd eventually stall out on the run game.

Our all-time D is pretty darn good and could keep this Alabama team in check with a line up of something like Kampmann, Babineaux, King, Clayborn, Greenway, Angerer, Edds, Spivey, Godfrey, Sanders, and Considine or Sash.

It's late but here is my off the cuff starters without delving into things

QB Banks
RB Greene
FB Morse?
LT Gallery
RT Bulaga
LG Steinbach
RG Reiff
WR DJK
WR 3M
TE Clark

Defense

DE Roth
DE Clayborne
DT Ballard
DT Babineaux
LB Angerer
LB Greenway
LB Hodge
DB Prater
SS Sanders
FS Considine?
DB (......)

Morse at full back? LOL..............gotta be Kujava????? Anybody remember him?

FreedComanche

It's late but here is my off the cuff starters without delving into thingsQB BanksRB GreeneFB Morse?LT GalleryRT BulagaLG SteinbachRG ReiffWR DJKWR 3MTE ClarkDefenseDE RothDE ClayborneDT BallardDT BabineauxLB AngererLB GreenwayLB HodgeDB PraterSS SandersFS Considine?DB (......)
Would be an interesting battle at C between Bruggeman and Bruce Nelson. The OL would be flat out FILTHY, as the kids say.You'd have to find a way to work Mitch King into the DT rotation, as well as Klug. Kampman would get some reps at DE. You would have enough depth where you could rotate those guys and keep them fresh, and there would be a tremendous blend of both speed and power rushers.Pagel and Sash would be the back-up safeties. That is a freaking stacked team. But no way Banks starts over Stanzi, especially with the way that team would play offense.

Which HC do we get? If its 2002 Captain Kirk, given the way we'd win the battle of the trenches (and we absolutlely without question would), the Hawks by 10.
If it's 2012 Kurt, well, ND didn't do that bad I guess.

Which HC do we get? If its 2002 Captain Kirk, given the way we'd win the battle of the trenches (and we absolutlely without question would), the Hawks by 10.
If it's 2012 Kurt, well, ND didn't do that bad I guess.

To build on this. Would you take Fry or Ferentz with the Ferentz All Star team?

To build on this. Would you take Fry or Ferentz with the Ferentz All Star team?
Do we get mid-80's Bill Snyder as OC? If yes, I'd take JHF. If not, give me Kurt. Hell, just give me Snyder and Norm as the coordinators and we wouldn't even need a HC. Pick some random guy out of the stands, like say Smiley.

first off, no FB ... 2 TEs would be better talent-wise, plus it helps out our passing game tremendously

a look at the skill positions ...

Pos) Starter ... Backup
QB) Banks ... Stanzi
RB) Greene ... Betts
TE1) Clark ... Chandler
TE2) Moeaki ... Myers
WR1) DJK ... Solomon
WR2) McNutt ... Mo Brown
K) Kaeding ... Meyer
P) Baker ... Donahue

add in our awesome OL and we can move the ball on any college team.

Last edited:
Things I think about this matchup:
1. Iowa would run a lot of 2 TE/1 RB sets.
2. On a 70 play schedule, Shonn Greene would run 25 times, Ladell Betts would run 12 times, Jermelle Lewis would run 3 times, Brad Banks would run 5 times, and Brad Banks would throw 25 times.
3. Iowa's biggest personnel weakness, WR, would be nullified by Iowa's biggest personnel strength, TE. Dallas Clark was effectively a 3rd WR out of the TE spot.
4. Iowa's biggest schematic weakness over the years, quality depth, would be almost completely nullified.
5. Related to #4, Iowa's (constantly fresh) front four would put tons of pressure on McCarron, allowing for Parker's no blitz pressure to work to maximum proficiency.
6. Iowa would have a major advantage in special teams with Donahue, Kaeding, and a bunch of future NFL guys on coverage/return units.
7. An All-Star Iowa coaching staff, with Ron Aiken, Bret Bielema, Norm Parker, and Joe Philbin would have Iowa prepared to dominate physically and mentally.

I really don't think it would be that close of a game.
Iowa Ferentz-Era All-Stars 45, '12 Alabama 7

first off, no FB ... 2 TEs would be better talent-wise, plus it helps out our passing game tremendously

a look at the skill positions ...

Pos) Starter ... Backup
QB) Banks ... Stanzi
RB) Greene ... Betts
TE1) Clark ... Chandler
TE2) Moeaki ... Myers
WR1) DJK ... Solomon
WR2) McNutt ... Mo Brown
K) Kaeding ... Meyer
P) Baker ... Donahue

add in our awesome OL and we can move the ball on any college team.
I would actually take CJF over Meyers at the 2nd TE with a good QB he could be a much better player.

Latest posts