Kirk Ferentz Believes Hawkeye Offense Will Make Strides in '18

Your first 3 sentences proves my point . Oh my it can only be unconditional love for something your passionate about. I missed that memo. Numbers never lie . I know you are one of the many that never want to believe in facts but the numbers prove Easley was our best receiver this year

Some confusion about your reply to my post. I did not say Easley wasn't our best receiver. I don't know where you got the nonsense about not believing the facts. My disagreement with you is your over the top criticism of a guy whose "numbers" over his career were pretty darn good. Numbers never lie, you said.

Some confusion about your reply to my post. I did not say Easley wasn't our best receiver. I don't know where you got the nonsense about not believing the facts. My disagreement with you is your over the top criticism of a guy whose "numbers" over his career were pretty darn good. Numbers never lie, you said.
What are his career receiving yards?

Not falling for it. I'll predict what we'll see:

First game, we'll see different formations, different plays....breaking some tendencies.

We'll rarely see it the rest of the year. At most, we have some creativity in the OOC schedule. As soon as we hit conference play, KF always shuts down the offense.

You are right the numbers don’t lie. He was in the program six years and got to play in five seasons . His career receiving yards are 1686. Quite a few players give those numbers in one season let alone 2. That’s only an average of 337 a season and we got that explosive production over five seasons . Those numbers are pretty lousy if you think about it. Even if you change it to 4 years and give him a pass because of the medical redshirt the numbers stay lousy

Who all remembers Travis Watkins? Interesting comparison. Both Watkins and Vandenberg had almost identical career yardage numbers (1,600+) and identical touchdowns (10). Vandenberg had 30 more catches and averaged 6 fewer yards per catch. And of course was injured or his numbers would have been greater.

Don't recall how speedy Watkins was but Hayden liked to take more shots down the field. In general.

You are right the numbers don’t lie. He was in the program six years and got to play in five seasons . His career receiving yards are 1686. Quite a few players give those numbers in one season let alone 2. That’s only an average of 337 a season and we got that explosive production over five seasons . Those numbers are pretty lousy if you think about it. Even if you change it to 4 years and give him a pass because of the medical redshirt the numbers stay lousy

Apparently, you find a way to make numbers, at least misleading. Try this: 1686 yards for his career is correct; you forgot to mention that is #15 in Iowa football history. You forgot to mention that he had 134 receptions, which makes him #10 in Iowa football history. Wow. I would love to see a list of receivers who have caught 1684 yards worth in 1 season.

Apparently, you find a way to make numbers, at least misleading. Try this: 1686 yards for his career is correct; you forgot to mention that is #15 in Iowa football history. You forgot to mention that he had 134 receptions, which makes him #10 in Iowa football history. Wow. I would love to see a list of receivers who have caught 1684 yards worth in 1 season.
This past season 24 receivers had over 1000 Yards 5 of them had over 1300, 2 of them had over 1400. Vandenberg wasn’t productive and one his QB’s started last year for an NFL team and another is an NFL back up. I will get you the list

7D4E1F8E-3C75-4F02-AC06-BD2F60E482E9.png

I generally agree with Kirk about an improved offense next year, but I disagree about the fumbles. I went back and looked at fumbles. The team stats say 21 fumbles, 13 lost, but the game by game stats show 18 fumbles, 7 lost. It seems like the game by game is the accurate one.

In 2 of their 5 losses, they lost no fumbles.
They lost 2 at Wisconsin, but fumbling isn't why they lost that game.
They lost 2 at MSU, 1 I recall by Stanley near the goal line, so that hurt.
They lost 1 at Penn State, Wadley coughed it up after a nice run, but that didn't make a difference in the outcome.

So, I think the only loss that could be linked to inopportune fumbles is MSU, but they had a lot of other things that went wrong that day.

You probably think that list is misleading too

Thanks for the info. Two things: First, the list you sent was not misleading. It is what it is. I took a look at this year's list and found that Matt was the second leading receiver for Iowa, with Noah being the leader. He had more receiving yards than Akrum or Nick. I am curious as to why you ignored my stats on Vandy's career at Iowa. Selective? BTW, don't worry about me not "going by the numbers." I have a graduate degree in stats and research. You also, I think, talked about Vandy playing 5 years. Well, sort of. I guess part of a season counts in your stat pack.

Thanks for the info. Two things: First, the list you sent was not misleading. It is what it is. I took a look at this year's list and found that Matt was the second leading receiver for Iowa, with Noah being the leader. He had more receiving yards than Akrum or Nick. I am curious as to why you ignored my stats on Vandy's career at Iowa. Selective? BTW, don't worry about me not "going by the numbers." I have a graduate degree in stats and research. You also, I think, talked about Vandy playing 5 years. Well, sort of. I guess part of a season counts in your stat pack.
Now I’m wondering if you are sober and what list you are looking at? Easley had 530 Yards receiving last season and 51 catches . Vandenberg didn’t crack 390. If you are going to throw out garbage you need to back it up

I generally agree with Kirk about an improved offense next year, but I disagree about the fumbles. I went back and looked at fumbles. The team stats say 21 fumbles, 13 lost, but the game by game stats show 18 fumbles, 7 lost. It seems like the game by game is the accurate one.

In 2 of their 5 losses, they lost no fumbles.
They lost 2 at Wisconsin, but fumbling isn't why they lost that game.
They lost 2 at MSU, 1 I recall by Stanley near the goal line, so that hurt.
They lost 1 at Penn State, Wadley coughed it up after a nice run, but that didn't make a difference in the outcome.

So, I think the only loss that could be linked to inopportune fumbles is MSU, but they had a lot of other things that went wrong that day.
Anytime you lose a fumble it affects the outcome , especially in a close game like Penn st. Field position or losing scoring opportunities is huge in a close game

Your first 3 sentences proves my point . Oh my it can only be unconditional love for something your passionate about. I missed that memo. Numbers never lie . I know you are one of the many that never want to believe in facts but the numbers prove Easley was our best receiver this year

<<Number never lie>>

Hillary Clinton says, "Hi...I have a foundation that needs your money"

The thing that consistently bothers me about Iowa's offense is that opposing defenses can aggressively flood the gaps without paying a price for it. Countering defenses that sell out don't seem to get the attention they it warrants. KF's primary counter to defenses that take advantage of Iowas blocking schemes seems to be get better at fundamentals. It isn't that Iowa totally lacks ways to counter defenses that sell out, it is that they lack consistent ways to successfully counter. We know what most opposing defenses are going to do. What is Iowa's answer? That answer needs to be given the same sort of attention the fundamentals get.
Effective WRs + a mid to deep passing game is how you punish defenses for doing this. You have to make them play with big plays. Not small ones. They have to fear that selling out to stop the run could lead to a long TD throw.

Those two are and were are best two receivers. Some one has got to step up next season or else it’s going Ronnie the same ole same ole.

Three new linebackers are also going to affect our offense also as the offense will not see the field as much with our defense on the field so long. Also it takes a while for the new running backs to learn blocking packages that the opposing defenses will throw at them.

We will be back a year from now talking about the same issues with the same results.

I haven’t seen next years schedule to see if we will be playing Ohio State again but if we do Meyers will not make the same mistake again.

Sports, politics, religion, and pride are the four things that cause people to lose their sense of reality and truth.

<<Sports, politics, religion, and pride are the four things that cause people to lose their sense of reality and truth.>>

Written by the living proof...

Anytime you lose a fumble it affects the outcome , especially in a close game like Penn st. Field position or losing scoring opportunities is huge in a close game
That's probably accurate at some level of analysis. If you don't make a first down on every third down, it affects the outcome of the game. If you don't recover every opponent's fumbles, it affects the outcome of the game. And so on. Wadley's fumble at Penn State may or may not have cost Iowa points, but not stopping Penn State twice on 4th down in the final drive definitely cost Iowa. The larger point - they didn't lose 5 games this year because of fumbles.

That's probably accurate at some level of analysis. If you don't make a first down on every third down, it affects the outcome of the game. If you don't recover every opponent's fumbles, it affects the outcome of the game. And so on. Wadley's fumble at Penn State may or may not have cost Iowa points, but not stopping Penn State twice on 4th down in the final drive definitely cost Iowa. The larger point - they didn't lose 5 games this year because of fumbles.
I agree about the losing part but losing fumbles and not getting a first down are completely different when it comes to field position Or scoring opportunities . You don’t get a first down you can still kick a field goal. You lose a fumble at your own 30 you can’t punt to regain field position .

I agree about the losing part but losing fumbles and not getting a first down are completely different when it comes to field position Or scoring opportunities . You don’t get a first down you can still kick a field goal. You lose a fumble at your own 30 you can’t punt to regain field position .
You must not have watched much Iowa football this year.

Latest posts