Kirk Ferentz Believes Hawkeye Offense Will Make Strides in '18

Kirk is amazing at saying so much, and at the same time saying nothing.

That's his M.O. His press conferences are terribly uninformative, because he just says the same thing over and over again. It's a conservative strategy that will prevent him from saying anything controversial. His explanations are always rooted in intensity, execution and ball handling. Whether it is true or not, why would anyone want to listen to him is beyond me. They might as well have a tape recorder up there on the podium. One tape for a loss, one for a win.

Win: "Well today we really played with intensity and we executed really well. Turnover margin was good, we really protected the ball well this game."

Loss: "Well today we lacked intensity and enthusiasm. We turned the ball over too much. We have to protect the ball better going forward."

That's his M.O. His press conferences are terribly uninformative, because he just says the same thing over and over again. It's a conservative strategy that will prevent him from saying anything controversial. His explanations are always rooted in intensity, execution and ball handling. Whether it is true or not, why would anyone want to listen to him is beyond me. They might as well have a tape recorder up there on the podium. One tape for a loss, one for a win.

Win: "Well today we really played with intensity and we executed really well. Turnover margin was good, we really protected the ball well this game."

Loss: "Well today we lacked intensity and enthusiasm. We turned the ball over too much. We have to protect the ball better going forward."

while i agree with you, you're getting a like for your handle. well done Pink Bathroom.

Do you think he KNOWS about 3 Card Monte on street corners? Yo pray for surf huh?

The 2 TE sets was effective against OSU. If it was a “let’s try it because we have nothing to lose” moment..... I have no idea.

Probably need to read Rob’s link before commenting, but that has never stopped me before. :) Continuity in the o- line trumps turnovers in my mind. Continuity is important with any o-line, it is twice as important for Iowa. Replacing Daniel/Welsh and staying healthy are the most crucial things in the Iowa offense going into 2018. I love me some AW, but replacing him is not as important as replacing Welsh/Daniel.

The 2 TE sets was effective against OSU. If it was a “let’s try it because we have nothing to lose” moment..... I have no idea.

Probably need to read Rob’s link before commenting, but that has never stopped me before. :) Continuity in the o- line trumps turnovers in my mind. Continuity is important with any o-line, it is twice as important for Iowa. Replacing Daniel/Welsh and staying healthy are the most crucial things in the Iowa offense going into 2018. I love me some AW, but replacing him is not as important as replacing Welsh/Daniel.
The 2 TE sets are our base offense, something we ran a ton all year. What we changed against OSU was our tendencies, such as throwing more on first down, and more downfield routes for the TEs, as well as trading them from one side of the formation to the other, and running plays to both sides equally during the game. It confused the hell out of OSU's defense.

The play Fant caught a long TD on late in the 2nd half has been in our offense a long time. We ran it for a big gainer against ISU.

I agree that the OL is going to be likely more important next year, but turnovers kill all offenses, and are overkill for ours. I think that improves solely based on the fact that a lot of the fumbles and turnovers were by young players, and that almost always improves with experience.

Last edited:
The 2 TE sets are our base offense, something we ran a ton all year. What we changed against OSU was our tendencies, such as throwing more on first down, and more downfield routes for the TEs, as well as trading them from one side of the formation to the other, and running plays to both sides equally during the game. It confused the hell out of OSU's defense.

The play Fant caught a long TD on late in the 2nd half has been in our offense a long time. We ran it for a big gainer against ISU.

I agree that the OL is going to be likely more important next year, but turnovers kill all offenses, and are overkill for ours. I think they'll improves solely based on the fact that a lot of the fumbles and turnovers were by young players, and that almost always improves with experience.

You are correct it is how they ran those 2 TE sets. The “gamble” was changing up the tendencies .

You are correct it is how they ran those 2 TE sets. The “gamble” was changing up the tendencies .
I'd like to see them change it up a little more next season. Spread the defense out in 11 personnel, and run 1-back power and inside zone out of it. I think that'd keep the defense from stacking the box, and allow them more options to audible at the line. Maybe even 11 formations with 12 personnel, and split Fant out wide.

I'd like to see them change it up a little more next season. Spread the defense out in 11 personnel, and run 1-back power and inside zone out of it. I think that'd keep the defense from stacking the box, and allow them more options to audible at the line. Maybe even 11 formations with 12 personnel, and split Fant out wide.

You serious Clark?

There he goes again; "Ball security"!, as in if we just hold on to the ball more we will have a better offense. C'mon, all teams fumble, good offenses overcome mistakes. We've had teams with some of the lowest turn-over margins in the nation and still had offenses ranked in the bottom third of the country. Old dog, same tricks. Is this really his chief objective in improving the offense next year......it is going to be a long year.

It is kind of funny isn’t it. You were trying to find a reason to rip Kirk, and you felt like probably everyone would chime in and pile on. Instead, your criticism was stupid and you’re getting dogged horribly. How funny.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize him. You just picked one that wasn’t deserving of criticism. I would say based upon your comments that you are either a KF hater, which is your prerogative, or you don’t know anything about football. Or I guess it could be both.

Iowa needs to identify the talented skill players...TE...WR...RD...SLOT...and get the ball into their hands...even if it only 1-2 players...wasting plays on players that are not D1 talent don't produce much...so design plays for the one player that you have...screen, split, anything...

Iowa needs to identify the talented skill players...TE...WR...RD...SLOT...and get the ball into their hands...even if it only 1-2 players...wasting plays on players that are not D1 talent don't produce much...so design plays for the one player that you have...screen, split, anything...
We had to have been one of the worst teams in the country at converting third downs . We won’t have killer talent at the wideout position next season so Stanley has to gain confidence at the back shoulder throws when the receivers can’t get separation. This will allow him to throw more vertical past the sticks.

I believe Ronald Coleman was guest star on that episode.Without looking it up FORGOT who was Robbing Jack? Mel.Blanc.? No Anyway.Old humor huh?
No idea. Old enough that I have no clue what the hell they were talking about. None of the contestants got it either, Trebek had to read it with that smug look on his face, as if he knew.

No idea. Old enough that I have no clue what the hell they were talking about. None of the contestants got it either, Trebek had to read it with that smug look on his face, as if he knew.
Suggest U-Tube to see it.Jack was a Physical old school comic way waay cool."The slow burn" His Gestures.Old I am.SO drink beer with both hands.Always at early A.M. happy hour.Hope this clear.PAST 8:00 AM.

Last edited:
Our 3rd down conversion rate will improve if our 1st and 2nd down performance improves.

Seems obvious, but with how we roll on offense, it's even more critical for Iowa.

I really want to see Stanley tuck and run a little more next year. Pick up 3-5 and get out or down. It could be an absolute game changer.

He's not a runner, but I think he's faster and more athletic than given credit for. He doesn't need to run a bunch, just pick up a few here and there to extend drives. The decision to take off will come with his overall improvement with "pocket feel/presence ".

With absolutely any threat for him to pick up yards, someone comes open, and I think he's got the skills to see and hit it.

Our 3rd down conversion rate will improve if our 1st and 2nd down performance improves.

Seems obvious, but with how we roll on offense, it's even more critical for Iowa.

I really want to see Stanley tuck and run a little more next year. Pick up 3-5 and get out or down. It could be an absolute game changer.

He's not a runner, but I think he's faster and more athletic than given credit for. He doesn't need to run a bunch, just pick up a few here and there to extend drives. The decision to take off will come with his overall improvement with "pocket feel/presence ".

With absolutely any threat for him to pick up yards, someone comes open, and I think he's got the skills to see and hit it.
Another thing I'd like to see from Stanley is how well he throws on the run. I don't remember any situations from this past season other than designed rollouts where he had to make a throw on the run, but it was something CJB was exceptional at, and it adds another dynamic to our offense.

Another thing I'd like to see from Stanley is how well he throws on the run. I don't remember any situations from this past season other than designed rollouts where he had to make a throw on the run, but it was something CJB was exceptional at, and it adds another dynamic to our offense.
CJB was a ridiculously talented college QB. The guy had really good accuracy and nice mobility in the pocket. I wouldn't be surprised if after a few years as a journeyman in the NFL he gets to start for a decent team.

Latest posts