Kirk Ferentz Believes Hawkeye Offense Will Make Strides in '18

You must not have watched much Iowa football this year.
Every game. I see your point . Ferentz feels ball security is more important than opening up the play book . I don’t agree with that either. I would love to see the beast unleashed (Stanley)

You are right the numbers don’t lie. He was in the program six years and got to play in five seasons . His career receiving yards are 1686. Quite a few players give those numbers in one season let alone 2. That’s only an average of 337 a season and we got that explosive production over five seasons . Those numbers are pretty lousy if you think about it. Even if you change it to 4 years and give him a pass because of the medical redshirt the numbers stay lousy

Even so he was the leading no receive coming back n at the beginning of this past season. I do agree that eas
That's ridiculous, you get better on offense because the young players you played last year get another year in the system and another year with Doyle. We have a great nucleus of players coming back and we have enormous size on the OL. Every one the guys expected to play are anywhere from 305 to 320. You have a QB who now has 13 starts under his belt and has pretty much seen everything from defenses. He's the most important cog in the machine and he has a chance to be a pro. Certainly, losing Wadley hurts, but Young and IKM are no slouches. Watch the runs young made against Ohio State at the end of that game...dude has burst and he's big. IKM played as a true freshman...that should tell you something.

Our TEs are maybe the best tandem in the country...and we just need a WR to make a leap. I'm hoping someone finds his way there. It's the sum of the parts and the experience that make you think the offense will be better. I think it will.
That's ridiculous, you get better on offense because the young players you played last year get another year in the system and another year with Doyle. We have a great nucleus of players coming back and we have enormous size on the OL. Every one the guys expected to play are anywhere from 305 to 320. You have a QB who now has 13 starts under his belt and has pretty much seen everything from defenses. He's the most important cog in the machine and he has a chance to be a pro. Certainly, losing Wadley hurts, but Young and IKM are no slouches. Watch the runs young made against Ohio State at the end of that game...dude has burst and he's big. IKM played as a true freshman...that should tell you something.

Our TEs are maybe the best tandem in the country...and we just need a WR to make a leap. I'm hoping someone finds his way there. It's the sum of the parts and the experience that make you think the offense will be better. I think it will.

“That's ridiculous, you get better on offense because the young players you played last year get another year in the system and another year with Doyle. We have a great nucleus of players coming back and we have enormous size on the OL. “

At the beginning of this past season we were told by so called experts that our offensive line was one of the best in the nation. Running behind that line were two SENIOR running backs and a SENIOR wide receiver. Acccording to your thinking these guys should have been awesome having been Doylized. Every year it’s the same ole same ole. It’s always next year.

What excuse are you going to have next season if we go 7-5 again with a more favorable schedule? Go ahead answer the question. What will you say then? Let me guess,”Our offense was better but our defense wasn’t.” The only way our offense is going to make any significant strides is if Kirk finally changes (LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!) and takes on a whole new offensive philosophy. That is extremely unlikely to happen. Why would he? As long as he doesn’t dip below 6-6 he will be invited to come back year after year after year until he decides he want to retire.

Now there is something I want to say here. Maybe I have been too hard on Kirk. I am just looking at the win/loss record and the pay scale. In the big picture the grave grave majority of his players will never play in the NFL. If however he is taking as a whole most of these young men and instilling in them values and integrity that will make them better citizens in our country then it really is difficult to put a price on that. I have heard many players make comments about their faith in God and what they have learned from being a part of the program. That is something you can put a price on.

This is is however speculation on my part as hundreds of players have come and gone and you don’t hear about what most of them achieved in their life with the exception of just a few here and there.

If that’s the case though then really the four or five million a year is money well spent. In the grand scheme of life those are values that will carry on long after the lights are off and the stadium are empty. It will be a legacy unto itself maybe for generations to come.

Being a lifelong Hawkeyes fan with many others who have been through thick and thin with this program it would be a wonderful thing for us to at least get to experience a national championship just once. The frustrationing thing is realizing that it is extremely unlikely to happen under Kirk. The recruiting just isn’t there, the offensive schemes just aren’t there. The defense has far out weighed the offense. It’s been adequate especially considering how lousy the offense has been. The likelyhood of a coach who has done it the same way for over 18 years, ever changing just isn’t likely to happen. Progressive people make the changes necessary to gradually improve themselves and the programs they are in charge of.

Last edited:
Now I’m wondering if you are sober and what list you are looking at? Easley had 530 Yards receiving last season and 51 catches . Vandenberg didn’t crack 390. If you are going to throw out garbage you need to back it up

I went to the site that you referenced with your evidence. Maybe I looked at something in error, since I am not really familiar with that site. I will check it out and get back to you. I am on my second black Russian right now, but I was sober when I wrote the post you referenced.

Now I’m wondering if you are sober and what list you are looking at? Easley had 530 Yards receiving last season and 51 catches . Vandenberg didn’t crack 390. If you are going to throw out garbage you need to back it up

OK. Here you go. VDB: Rank, 177; 13 games; 28 receptions; 384 yards; 13.7 ypc; 2 TD's.
NE: Rank 338; 13 games; 51 receptions; 530 yards; 10.4 ypc; 4 td's.

I had no idea about any of these stats, but I guess somebody thought VDB was ranked 161 places higher than Nick. You didn't mention that, though this was the chart you reported on. hmm. Anyway, I think Nick had a pretty darn good year and I recognize that Matt probably won the position battle on the list due to his ypc advantage. So, we all good? When are you going to figure out that I don't throw out garbage? I attempt to make a clear distinction between my opinions vs statements of fact. You might want to think about that.

OK. Here you go. VDB: Rank, 177; 13 games; 28 receptions; 384 yards; 13.7 ypc; 2 TD's.
NE: Rank 338; 13 games; 51 receptions; 530 yards; 10.4 ypc; 4 td's.

I had no idea about any of these stats, but I guess somebody thought VDB was ranked 161 places higher than Nick. You didn't mention that, though this was the chart you reported on. hmm. Anyway, I think Nick had a pretty darn good year and I recognize that Matt probably won the position battle on the list due to his ypc advantage. So, we all good? When are you going to figure out that I don't throw out garbage? I attempt to make a clear distinction between my opinions vs statements of fact. You might want to think about that.
I didn’t report on any chart . My source was receiving yards by ESPN stats. I was talking about receiving yards . My criticism was not over the top . It was based on facts. The chart I listed earlier was for the other evidence you wanted

Effective WRs + a mid to deep passing game is how you punish defenses for doing this. You have to make them play with big plays. Not small ones. They have to fear that selling out to stop the run could lead to a long TD throw.

At least we don't have GD's stupid horizontal passing attack anymore, which only compounded the problem. Opposing defenses could put eight in the box and have their cornerbacks play tight.

I didn’t report on any chart . My source was receiving yards by ESPN stats. I was talking about receiving yards . My criticism was not over the top . It was based on facts. The chart I listed earlier was for the other evidence you wanted

Got it. I guess espn and the chart you noted took different approaches. You don't need to defend yourself to me; just try to answer my questions; any thoughts on Matt's history in the Hawkeye record book? My bias is that record means more to me than other data points.

How can you feel positive when you have failed to recruit a punter and wide receivers?

And your five best players are gone?

Just stop...

Got it. I guess espn and the chart you noted took different approaches. You don't need to defend yourself to me; just try to answer my questions; any thoughts on Matt's history in the Hawkeye record book? My bias is that record means more to me than other data points.
The list I did earlier I noticed most If not all accomplished their feats in the modern football era. When did Iowa start slinging the pig skin?when Forest was the coach or not until Chuck Long showed up? Matt had a nice season a few years ago when had a little over 700 Yards receiving . I don’t think he deserved to keep his starting spot this season based on production . Especially if we need to be fair to Stanley. 1686 over 5 seasons isn’t very good but a record is a record in regards to Iowa football and Ferentz felt he was good enough to be valuable to the team for 6 seasons which is a record unto itself

How can you feel positive when you have failed to recruit a punter and wide receivers?

Just stop...
The same way you can feel negative after we return a good QB, TEs, and great DL. It's okay to have a different opinion.

I don't feel negative...just would like to see something different, exciting, winning...tired of worthless promises, excuses.

Yes, many opinions are good..especially those grounded on something other than wishes and delusions.

I have to modify my comments...Kirk has never promised anything...nor set any goals...safer that way...my bad.

The same way you can feel negative after we return a good QB, TEs, and great DL. It's okay to have a different opinion.

I have been very positive on Stanley before he even started one game and he has not let me down. He is a pocket passer and a damn good one. Any coach with any credibility would utilize his skills. It’s not going to be scrambling and throwing on the run or running the ball in general. He does not have the speed to do that. Waiting until it’s third down and nine is not goi g to help out Stanley. I don’t question Stanley’s ability at all. No doubt he is a bright spot on this team. What I question is Kirk and Brian’s ability to be creative and utilize Stanley’s best talent and that is to throw the ball.

Running the ball continuously into a seven or eight man defense that is solely focused on stopping the run is the epitome of a bullheaded, stubborn, proud full person. Nobody likes to see anyone act that way. Damn Kirk swallow your pride.

I have been very positive on Stanley before he even started one game and he has not let me down. He is a pocket passer and a damn good one. Any coach with any credibility would utilize his skills. It’s not going to be scrambling and throwing on the run or running the ball in general. He does not have the speed to do that. Waiting until it’s third down and nine is not goi g to help out Stanley. I don’t question Stanley’s ability at all. No doubt he is a bright spot on this team. What I question is Kirk and Brian’s ability to be creative and utilize Stanley’s best talent and that is to throw the ball.

Running the ball continuously into a seven or eight man defense that is solely focused on stopping the run is the epitome of a bullheaded, stubborn, proud full person. Nobody likes to see anyone act that way. Damn Kirk swallow your pride.
How many times did Stanley Audible into those fronts for a one or two yard gain? ALOT. He had some really bad games throwing the ball to his targets. He deserves some criticism too . It’s not all on Brian or daddy. I liked Stanley’s progress this season and I’m looking forward to next season

Great DL?? I can agree with good qb and te but wow great?
A. Nelson is arguably the best pass rusher in the conference (if you don't believe me, PFF had high ratings for him all season and the vaunted Nick Bosa only had 1 more sack). Hesse is going to be a 4 year starter with tons of experience. No DE on the team sets the edge better than he does, and it shows. M. Nelson was playing very well by the end of the year, and Lattimore has shown flashes. Epenesa probably needs no explanation due to his natural talent and the fact that this board drools all over him, and Sam Brincks has proven to be a solid depth player (to the suprise of many). Add in Nixon who is sure to play right away, and that's a pretty salty defensive front.

Maybe great was a bit of an overstatement, but they're pretty damn good for sure.

A. Nelson is arguably the best pass rusher in the conference (if you don't believe me, PFF had high ratings for him all season and the vaunted Nick Bosa only had 1 more sack). Hesse is going to be a 4 year starter with tons of experience. No DE on the team sets the edge better than he does, and it shows. M. Nelson was playing very well by the end of the year, and Lattimore has shown flashes. Epenesa probably needs no explanation due to his natural talent and the fact that this board drools all over him, and Sam Brincks has proven to be a solid depth player (to the suprise of many). Add in Nixon who is sure to play right away, and that's a pretty salty defensive front.

Maybe great was a bit of an overstatement, but they're pretty damn good for sure.
Don’t forget about my boy Golston. He is a beast !!!!!! He didn’t get much playing time this year but he got to play the second half of the pinstripe bowl. BC offensive line couldn’t do shit the second half . The only groups I’m really worried about is the linebackers and the weapons they get Stanley on the outside

You must not have watched much Iowa football this year.
To be fair the defense did a damn good job given their terrible field position. They had to jump straight to “don’t break,” and they did an impressive job a lot of the time. That said we need a good punter on scholarship ASAP.

Just stop...
The failure at punter isn’t recruiting. It’s hard to call it recruiting when you aren’t offering a scholarship and you aren’t playing D3 ball.

Latest posts