Kirk Ferentz Believes Hawkeye Offense Will Make Strides in '18

The thing that consistently bothers me about Iowa's offense is that opposing defenses can aggressively flood the gaps without paying a price for it. Countering defenses that sell out don't seem to get the attention they it warrants. KF's primary counter to defenses that take advantage of Iowas blocking schemes seems to be get better at fundamentals. It isn't that Iowa totally lacks ways to counter defenses that sell out, it is that they lack consistent ways to successfully counter. We know what most opposing defenses are going to do. What is Iowa's answer? That answer needs to be given the same sort of attention the fundamentals get.

I've always said it...teams won't respect your passing game unless you can beat them with JUST your passing game. When it's good enough to line up and throw on every down...your running game becomes a handful. 2002 comes to mind. I would throw 2015 in there too because CJ was special that year.

Last edited:
My concern is...Stanley is becoming a robotic type QB...hanging out in the Kirk system of make no mistakes...

I really wish Kirk would say..."yah...we have some players and areas that really need to pick it up next year...most of all...Brian and I need to pick up our end of it too...the players work hard to improve...we need to do the same...lots of places to improve up and down our coaching staff...from recruiting to in game play calling and time management to creative play calling...We owe it to our fans and players to get better...

I am aware of the criticisms I hear from fans, and it is openly discussed on social media...some of it gets old but they certainly have some validity to their complaints...we have become stale as a coaching staff...starting with me...a 5 or 6 loss season is not acceptable...we want to be better than that next year...I look at it as a watershed year for our coaching staff...we need to produce, provide leadership to our young team...as they strive to improve...It hurts me to say this but we want to be like Wisconsin...they used to want to be like us...we want that switched over again"

Center gone and both explosive running backs gone. Are best receiver gone.

If we are going to be better on offense that means Kirk wasn’t playing his best players this year. WTF?

Last edited:
Center gone and both explosive running backs gone. Are best receiver gone. DUMB.

If we are going to be better on offense that means Kirk wasn’t playing his best players this year. WTF?
Vandenberg was the worst starting wide receiver in the big ten . Please tell me you weren’t talking about him because we still have Easley next season

The thing that consistently bothers me about Iowa's offense is that opposing defenses can aggressively flood the gaps without paying a price for it. Countering defenses that sell out don't seem to get the attention they it warrants. KF's primary counter to defenses that take advantage of Iowas blocking schemes seems to be get better at fundamentals. It isn't that Iowa totally lacks ways to counter defenses that sell out, it is that they lack consistent ways to successfully counter. We know what most opposing defenses are going to do. What is Iowa's answer? That answer needs to be given the same sort of attention the fundamentals get.
This

Vandenberg was the worst starting wide receiver in the big ten . Please tell me you weren’t talking about him because we still have Easley next season

Vandenberg was down this year because, I suspect, his injury was never completely healed, either mentally or physically. If you look at his overall record at Iowa as a possession receiver, who had to be the primary when that was not his best role, he comes out pretty well. Worst in big ten? You are the master of hyperbole when it comes to criticism of Iowa football.

Vandenberg was down this year because, I suspect, his injury was never completely healed, either mentally or physically. If you look at his overall record at Iowa as a possession receiver, who had to be the primary when that was not his best role, he comes out pretty well. Worst in big ten? You are the master of hyperbole when it comes to criticism of Iowa football.
Your first 3 sentences proves my point . Oh my it can only be unconditional love for something your passionate about. I missed that memo. Numbers never lie . I know you are one of the many that never want to believe in facts but the numbers prove Easley was our best receiver this year

Your first 3 sentences proves my point . Oh my it can only be unconditional love for something your passionate about. I missed that memo. Numbers never lie . I know you are one of the many that never want to believe in facts but the numbers prove Easley was our best receiver this year

Those two are and were are best two receivers. Some one has got to step up next season or else it’s going to be the same ole same ole.

Three new linebackers are also going to affect our offense also as the offense will not see the field as much with our defense on the field so long. Also it takes a while for the new running backs to learn blocking packages that the opposing defenses will throw at them.

We will be back a year from now talking about the same issues with the same results.

I haven’t seen next years schedule to see if we will be playing Ohio State again but if we do Meyers will not make the same mistake again.

Sports, politics, religion, and pride are the four things that cause people to lose their sense of reality and truth.

Last edited:
Those two are and were are best two receivers. Some one has got to step up next season or else it’s going Ronnie the same ole same ole.

Three new linebackers are also going to affect our offense also as the offense will not see the field as much with our defense on the field so long. Also it takes a while for the new running backs to learn blocking packages that the opposing defenses will throw at them.

We will be back a year from now talking about the same issues with the same results.

I haven’t seen next years schedule to see if we will be playing Ohio State again but if we do Meyers will not make the same mistake again.

Sports, politics, religion, and pride are the four things that cause people to lose their sense of reality and truth.
I’m not disputing vandenberg being top 2 but that’s not what he said

To be fair, Iowa can and does do well against defenses that sell out some years. Getting better at fundamentals absolutely is a viable counter, it’s just not an exciting one and it’s not the one that us fans want in down years.

Center gone and both explosive running backs gone. Are best receiver gone.

That's ridiculous, you get better on offense because the young players you played last year get another year in the system and another year with Doyle. We have a great nucleus of players coming back and we have enormous size on the OL. Every one the guys expected to play are anywhere from 305 to 320. You have a QB who now has 13 starts under his belt and has pretty much seen everything from defenses. He's the most important cog in the machine and he has a chance to be a pro. Certainly, losing Wadley hurts, but Young and IKM are no slouches. Watch the runs young made against Ohio State at the end of that game...dude has burst and he's big. IKM played as a true freshman...that should tell you something.

Our TEs are maybe the best tandem in the country...and we just need a WR to make a leap. I'm hoping someone finds his way there. It's the sum of the parts and the experience that make you think the offense will be better. I think it will.

My concern is...Stanley is becoming a robotic type QB...hanging out in the Kirk system of make no mistakes...

I really wish Kirk would say..."yah...we have some players and areas that really need to pick it up next year...most of all...Brian and I need to pick up our end of it too...the players work hard to improve...we need to do the same...lots of places to improve up and down our coaching staff...from recruiting to in game play calling and time management to creative play calling...We owe it to our fans and players to get better...

I am aware of the criticisms I hear from fans, and it is openly discussed on social media...some of it gets old but they certainly have some validity to their complaints...we have become stale as a coaching staff...starting with me...a 5 or 6 loss season is not acceptable...we want to be better than that next year...I look at it as a watershed year for our coaching staff...we need to produce, provide leadership to our young team...as they strive to improve...It hurts me to say this but we want to be like Wisconsin...they used to want to be like us...we want that switched over again"
If KF said something along those lines, would you really feel any differently the next time Iowa loses a game?

If he was the best we had THIS year then we really are challenged at WR depth and talent. He was a shell of his forner self. Credit to his toughness and career as a Hawk but fact.

Or KF felt he owed it to him more likely.
Bingo!!!! He cares more about loyalty than wins and losses. He might be the only coach on the planet who would have started McCann over Banks Mcann’s Senior year.It wouldn’t have mattered how much of the play book Banks knew his junior year . He would have still given us the best chance to win because of his athleticism. We would have won more than six regular season games I can tell you that

Latest posts