Kirk Ferentz Adddresses Brian Ferentz Behavior

I have no idea what set BF off and I'm not going to defend him or criticize him for what he did because I wasn't there. I have no idea what led up to the tirade. He just needed to wait till he got to the locker room, that's all.

I do suspect that the fumble call and the review may have been the straw that broke the camel's back though. A few BS calls before that, like those holding calls that spoiled a couple of big gains were surely part of his being upset. I'm sure there were some others as well and by halftime those refs had left a bad taste in my mouth too. IMO the Gophers were doing a lot of holding on both sides of the ball. Missed calls/no calls can be as maddening as bad calls.

The non call on the Gophers when VandeBerg was shoved out of bounds after missing that pass in the second half was the worst no call of the game. That Gopher player had ample time to pull off and didn't. The ball was well past VandeBberg when he shoved him.

Last edited:
Reminds me of Major League when Ricky Vaughn got thrown out of the game and Uecker said, "It's about time, it's 8-0." I have no problem with him being upset with crappy officiating.

I'm sure Kirk's comment was just one out of the PC Manual and nothing will be said. I'm sure he didn't say anything Kirk didn't say about the same thing. My wife and I were counting f-bombs as we were reading Kirk's lips...and we agreed with every single one of them.

This was my reaction to the fumble call and I was watching with my 80 year old father, $-&";?(&$#*!!'*_+(-'"**$:;&$##*';/)-_$@%®✓[°¢¥=}][™©%£€°{÷π•¢¥÷¶}✓®©_&$##*&-!!!!
He's just said, Damn right son and don't worry about fixing the wall as that spot has been getting kind of weak in the last nineteen years.

Heard he pounded on the door of the replay officials, if true the Big Ten will be investigating this and Brian will be facing some punishment dad can't fix. BT can't allow that.

Passion and fire is one thing. You don't go batsh** on the officials booth. There will a reprimand of some kind from the league office.

As for the "immature baby that was handed everything"...not sure about that angle. This was a kid who fought back from a pretty nasty medical situation...that takes some toughness. And while Belichick is a friend of Kirk...I don't think the Patriots are a charity organization.

He blew his top in the wrong venue and will learn from it and move on. I would expect a formal apology will be issued by him in the coming days and some kind of reprimand from the league office, and possibly some type of internal punishment as well. That should be the end of it, but I'm sure there will be those that will continue to browbeat him with it for the next several years and it will get old.

As for the call, I think he was upset about two issues: One, is that it isn't reversible. He's wrong on that one. The second point he was making is that there is no way for the replay official to know when the whistle was blown, and that's a legitimate criticism. It's very possible that the whistle was blown before the ball came out.

He blew his top in the wrong venue and will learn from it and move on. I would expect a formal apology will be issued by him in the coming days and some kind of reprimand from the league office, and possibly some type of internal punishment as well. That should be the end of it, but I'm sure there will be those that will continue to browbeat him with it for the next several years and it will get old.

As for the call, I think he was upset about two issues: One, is that it isn't reversible. He's wrong on that one. The second point he was making is that there is no way for the replay official to know when the whistle was blown, and that's a legitimate criticism. It's very possible that the whistle was blown before the ball came out.
That's not true. Audio is included in the videos. The replay official knew when the whistle was blown and it was only after the fumble occurred.

--------As for the "immature baby that was handed everything"...not sure about that angle

Wasn't he handed free housing? Or was this the wrong kid?

Time and place for everything. I wouldn't be surprised if KF went off on BF more so then what BF did but behind closed doors for it. I was pissed too for how things had been going. For Iowa to just march on them the first drive like they did and then struggle almost the rest of the game besides that just had to be beyond frustrating. I like that BF has a step on their throat mentality and I wonder just to what extent KF is pulling up on the reins. It's like Kirk doesn't want to have a 2 or 3 score lead in a game. I know that what BF did was bad and a terrible look. But if he'd have done that in the locker room at halftime instead I'd have had no problem with it. Again time and place

The best part is 3 or 4 years from now when Brian is handed the head coaching job, this will be either forgotten or twisted into being some kind of wonderful learning experience, just like the rhabdo incident.
Wonder how fans would feel if someday it is learned there was a non disclosure settlement on rhabdo

Fran flips out bi-weekly and no one says anything. And if you think there’s never an F-bomb in there you’re ignorant.

It’s not a big deal, he got pissed and yelled, and if you’ve ever been around football beyond watching on tv or being in the stands, you’ve heard it before. Take the slap on the wrist from the B1G and move on.

Mountain, meet molehill.

Fran flips out bi-weekly and no one says anything. And if you think there’s never an F-bomb in there you’re ignorant.

It’s not a big deal, he got pissed and yelled, and if you’ve ever been around football beyond watching on tv or being in the stands, you’ve heard it before. Take the slap on the wrist from the B1G and move on.

Mountain, meet molehill.

Yep.

Watch KFs lips to the official during the fumble review. F****g B*****t was said a few times....strongly.

If BF pounded on the wall, door, whatever...thats another matter.

Mountain, meet molehill.
If the B1G does something, what will they do? 1 game suspension? Fine?

If the B1G does something, what will they do? 1 game suspension? Fine?

I would think the one-game suspension would come from either B1G office or U of I. Not sure about a fine, but I would imagine it comes under some "professionalism" or "conduct" clause vis-a-vis the media, officials, etc.

Not a resume building moment. Kinda wonder if B. Ferentz has had to deal with much lack of success in his career. Might be a good learning opportunity. Wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of public apology in the near future.

Looked like the right call on the Butler play to me and one of the announcers said they heard the whistle come after the ball broke loose.

That's not true. Audio is included in the videos. The replay official knew when the whistle was blown and it was only after the fumble occurred.

Not sure about that. I had always heard that it wasn't but could be wrong.

All I could find is an excerpt from the following article, http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/...-reviewers-correct-to-confirm-final-play.html:

"National coordinator of officials Rogers Redding told the AP in a phone interview Tuesday there was nothing unusual about the way officials on the field or in the replay booth handled the decisive play....Replay officials don't have access to audio and cannot determine whether a whistle has blown the play dead."

Latest posts