Kinnick Neighborhood Residents Dread Gamedays

I am guessing Kinnick was there before people bought the houses near it. Probably should have taken that into consideration before buying, no? It's just seven days out of 365, too.

That said, no one should have to deal with people taking a leak in their yard and things of that nature.

This. Buyer beware.

Move to Florida then. I'm tired of Iowans trying to ruin what the rest of the country thinks of when they look at the state of Iowa besides corn. If you don't like the Hawkeyes then at least move a couple miles from the stadium.

As you can probably tell by my username, I used to live right by the stadium. Up to a point, I agree with all of you and am a little disappointed about some of the changes being made to the tailgating scene (especially the proposal about eliminating sidewalk vendors, which was pretty much a blatant cash grab for the university). I was a renter, not an owner, and I do find it odd when people complain about being close to stadium that's been there (in most cases) longer than their houses have been standing.

But-- Things got pretty out of control over the last five or six years... I would say from 2004-2009, which I believe is when the Olive Court lot closed. Tailgating has always been big at Iowa, but when you combine it with the success we started having on the field, things just got to an insane level. I had more than my fair share of people peeing on my house, which isn't ideal but I could live with it. My bigger concern was people wandering into the house or trying to force their way in, which happened a couple of times, and people passing out in the lawn/backyard. Honestly, I think if things had continued the way they were going it was only going to be a matter of time before a kid died while tailgating, getting way too drunk, passing out in someone's yard, and then getting left behind during the game.

I also remember being very concerned in '07 (I think), when they went to that stupid paper ticketing system for the students. Yes, that was a mistake by the university, but what made it awful was that there were about 5,000 enormously drunk students crushing against one gate to get into the first big game of the year. I honestly felt like it was turning into one of those fatal stampedes like you read about in English soccer.

Let's be honest-- if people weren't getting waaaaay too drunk before games, students and adults alike, some of these changes might have been avoided. I've never gotten that messed up on a game day, but have looked the other way when some of my buddies did, so I was as much a part of the problem as anyone, I guess. I hate the loss of the some of the great tailgating lots around the stadium, but if it means that people have a 20-30 minute walk to sober up on the way to the game, then I can live with it. At the end of the day, you're there to see a football game, and if you want to get obliterated out of your mind, head to the ped mall or stay home.

We dread gamedays, resident says | Iowa City Press Citizen | press-citizen.com

Why is this all the sudden becoming a problem the last couple years when Im sure these people have lived there for many many years?

This is symptomatic of a broader issue that pervades a good portion of the IC resident population. It's as if they didn't realize that IC was a college town before they started living there. College towns are full of college students and college activities. Get over it.

F these people, its literally a couple of days a year and you knew what you were getting into. End of story.

Although four small changes already mentioned could help quite a bit - vendors to assist in area garbage pickup after games, more portapotties, more garbage containers (that get emptied), and cops who patrol these neighborhoods rather than sniff containers and break up beer pong games

As you can probably tell by my username, I used to live right by the stadium. Up to a point, I agree with all of you and am a little disappointed about some of the changes being made to the tailgating scene (especially the proposal about eliminating sidewalk vendors, which was pretty much a blatant cash grab for the university). I was a renter, not an owner, and I do find it odd when people complain about being close to stadium that's been there (in most cases) longer than their houses have been standing.

But-- Things got pretty out of control over the last five or six years... I would say from 2004-2009, which I believe is when the Olive Court lot closed. Tailgating has always been big at Iowa, but when you combine it with the success we started having on the field, things just got to an insane level. I had more than my fair share of people peeing on my house, which isn't ideal but I could live with it. My bigger concern was people wandering into the house or trying to force their way in, which happened a couple of times, and people passing out in the lawn/backyard. Honestly, I think if things had continued the way they were going it was only going to be a matter of time before a kid died while tailgating, getting way too drunk, passing out in someone's yard, and then getting left behind during the game.

I also remember being very concerned in '07 (I think), when they went to that stupid paper ticketing system for the students. Yes, that was a mistake by the university, but what made it awful was that there were about 5,000 enormously drunk students crushing against one gate to get into the first big game of the year. I honestly felt like it was turning into one of those fatal stampedes like you read about in English soccer.

Let's be honest-- if people weren't getting waaaaay too drunk before games, students and adults alike, some of these changes might have been avoided. I've never gotten that messed up on a game day, but have looked the other way when some of my buddies did, so I was as much a part of the problem as anyone, I guess. I hate the loss of the some of the great tailgating lots around the stadium, but if it means that people have a 20-30 minute walk to sober up on the way to the game, then I can live with it. At the end of the day, you're there to see a football game, and if you want to get obliterated out of your mind, head to the ped mall or stay home.

This is a pretty good assessment of the situation, I think. I do think that the university/city has gone a little overboard (or tried to, anyway) in controlling the issue, but the issue is there. That scene you described from 2007 is pretty scary, and not something you want to see happening.

Well, if you don't like living there, why do you still live there? I'm sure if you can afford a house in that area you can certainly afford one somewhere else too. And I know for a fact that people would be willing to buy the houses, or the university will. I agree, they shouldn't have to have their property damaged, but its common sense that it will happen right next door to a football stadium.

Well, if you don't like living there, why do you still live there? I'm sure if you can afford a house in that area you can certainly afford one somewhere else too. And I know for a fact that people would be willing to buy the houses, or the university will. I agree, they shouldn't have to have their property damaged, but its common sense that it will happen right next door to a football stadium.

Why is it common sense that property next to a football stadium would be damaged? Yes, living in that neighborhood means it will be noisy, crowded, and full of traffic on game days. But damaged property? What on earth does that have to do with football? What does that say about our attitude towards tailgating-- has it just become a drunken festivus where anything goes, laws/property rights/everyone else be damned?

I've noticed on this board how quickly people are to suggest more porto-pots, more garbage cans, more police, etc. How about this idea? Take some responsibility for yourself and the people you are tailgating with. Don't throw your trash everywhere. Don't drink to the point that you have to pee every ten minutes. Keep yourself sober enough so that you can handle friends that are unruly, or better yet, don't bring enough beer so that your friends can get unruly. I see groups of 4-6 dudes sitting at their tailgate spots with three cases of beer. Again, are you there to get blind drunk, or to watch a football game?

By nature I'm resistant to any changes made to the tailgating scene, because I've had a great time over the years at and around Kinnick. But reading this thread definitely makes me see why some changes are necessary.

Why is it common sense that property next to a football stadium would be damaged? Yes, living in that neighborhood means it will be noisy, crowded, and full of traffic on game days. But damaged property? What on earth does that have to do with football? What does that say about our attitude towards tailgating-- has it just become a drunken festivus where anything goes, laws/property rights/everyone else be damned?

I've noticed on this board how quickly people are to suggest more porto-pots, more garbage cans, more police, etc. How about this idea? Take some responsibility for yourself and the people you are tailgating with. Don't throw your trash everywhere. Don't drink to the point that you have to pee every ten minutes. Keep yourself sober enough so that you can handle friends that are unruly, or better yet, don't bring enough beer so that your friends can get unruly. I see groups of 4-6 dudes sitting at their tailgate spots with three cases of beer. Again, are you there to get blind drunk, or to watch a football game?

By nature I'm resistant to any changes made to the tailgating scene, because I've had a great time over the years at and around Kinnick. But reading this thread definitely makes me see why some changes are necessary.

By damaged property I didn't mean some drunk guy actually damaging your house, ripping up your yard, etc. I meant the typical littering here and there. And I'm with you, actually. Being of age where you are not quite old enough to drink, you can see just how idiotic some of the people at games are. And I think that if you can't take care of yourself at a public event as such, you shouldn't be allowed to drink at that event. Its a change that'll never happen because its impossible to enforce but it would certainly be nice if people would take care of themselves.

Because it's pretty stupid financially to sell a house right now.

Aren't the houses near Kinnick way more than what they are actually worth due to location? I would love to live that close someday and would gladly allow everyone and their dog to whizz on the side of my house. I mean it is a special occasion and all :)

I had a co-worker who used to live across the St & she made something like $2,000 in a football season just letting people park in her yard.

Can's aren't usually a problem as they get picked up by transients or certain organizations looking to make $$.

I have always thought it is weird how fast the place gets cleaned up after a huge party.

I guess I fail to see how requiring permits for vendors will curtail tresspassing on and urinating in people's yards.

I would think that one of the reasons for the "new problems" is the huge decrease in parking- with hospital expansion, the Neuzil farm selling, etc., people have fewer options of where to congregate before games.

I agree...unless...the city will use that money to put up more garbage cans and port-o-potty's.

Also agree the rent-a-cops are too busy looking for people with open containers (silly, silly, silly) versus patroling where the drunken Urbandale/Evanston proles are causing a rukus and watering the shrubbery.

Most of us do. I'd say the overwhelming majority of people handle themselves responsibly.

The University (of which I am a graduate) and the City of Iowa City love to complain just how horrible the football Saturdays are. But!!!!!!!!!, they have a smile on their face when they take our Iclub donations, fill their hotel and restaurants, and add millions of dollars to the area.

Easy solution for game day urination problems:

They make motion sensors to turn on lights. Just attach one to a sprinkler system. Someone comes into your yard, they get wet.

Turn the lemons into lemonade. A friend of mine lives on Olive Street. He parks 25 cars on his front and side yard. His backyard is rented to sororities and fraternities at $600 a game.

It's kind of like somebody moving into an apartment above a bar and being sick of the music and noise until 2 every night.

NO WAY this place costs $545k (a reduced price; used to be well over $600k) if it wasn't located on Olive Ct., a block from Kinnick.

91 Olive CT Iowa City IA - New Home for Sale - MLS #20110332 - Realtor.com

Hey Kinnick-area homeowners, STFU and jump aboard the gravy train. Who cares if some pickled attorney from Evanston whizzes on your lawn - the combination of nitrogen, non-union Coors Light, and Crown is good for the fescue.

Appraised @ $512,300 for tax purposes. Approximately $8K to 9K per year tax. This is right near the parking/party area on Olive Court. There will be enough whizzing on gameday to kill the grass for years to come...

On further look, this appears to be the whole parking/party location that is for sale. University Heights would not allow this area to be developed a couple of years ago (condos). This is your big opportunity to buy and have a parking lot for seven days a year. It's a bargain at this price.

Last edited:
NO WAY this place costs $545k (a reduced price; used to be well over $600k) if it wasn't located on Olive Ct., a block from Kinnick.

91 Olive CT Iowa City IA - New Home for Sale - MLS #20110332 - Realtor.com

Hey Kinnick-area homeowners, STFU and jump aboard the gravy train. Who cares if some pickled attorney from Evanston whizzes on your lawn - the combination of nitrogen, non-union Coors Light, and Crown is good for the fescue.

For that money that house better come with DJK serving up hookers and blow on gamedays...

Appraised @ $512,300 for tax purposes. Approximately $8K to 9K per year tax. This is right near the parking/party area on Olive Court. There will be enough whizzing on gameday to kill the grass for years to come...

On further look, this appears to be the whole parking/party location that is for sale. University Heights would not allow this area to be developed a couple of years ago (condos). This is your big opportunity to buy and have a parking lot for seven days a year. It's a bargain at this price.

No, it's not a bargain. It's a hose-job.
I scoped this entire new development out last year, when I was in town for the Wiscy game. Ask OK4P; he and I went back & forth about this.
It's a joke. The developer totally denuded the landscape (it used to be nicely wooded) and threw up these unimaginative boxes that totally lack any architectural interest, design panache, or luxury finish details. They're all contractor-grade crap. *yawn*
Not worth the (heavily reduced) asking price. I'd offer $350-$375k MAX for one of these places. And even then, I'd be overpaying.

Latest posts