Kinnick Neighborhood Residents Dread Gamedays

I have a friend that lives near Kinnick. He uses his property as a Parking lot and makes a good annual salary in 7 Saturdays. These people need to stop fighting and start "Winning!"

I just talked to my co-worker this morning about the issue (who lives on olive court very near Melrose). Unfortunately your comments don't line up with his situation. He actually rented the place from 71-72 so he lived there TWO full FB seasons before he bought the place. Like my original post says he bought the place (your so called "biggest investment of his life") and NEVER had a problem. In fact he didn't have a problem for a quarter of a Century. Please explain to me hwo someone could have had an idea or forsight to see a problem coming 25 years away. He said game day was a total non issue until the mid to late 90s. Yes you do get whatever you get but you seem to think people who bought houses 40 years ago should have know that in 25 years there would be a sudden onset of drunks walking into their houses and peeing in their back yards.

Well, that is a good point. However, I have to assume your co-worker is an older person, so maybe their perspective has changed with time.
Also, living near a college campus isnt something I would recommend for old people anyway.
People have ZERO problem selling their houses and finding a more suitable place to live, when their neighborhoods go bad or bad elements move in.
Why cant the same logic be applied when the tailgate element gets to be that big of a problem?
Railing against the Iowa football gameday atmosphere isnt going to keep people from ******* on his house or in his yard.
Idiots will be idiots, in and around a college campus. He either has to police it himself or sell it and find a place that better suits his needs.
I dont care how many new rules the U of I put in place. Drunks will still show up to the game and they will still litter, urinate and pass out, wherever they choose.

There are all kinds of reasons why people sell their homes and move on.
People get too old to shovel drives or mow lawns, so they sell and buy a condo.
Bad elements, such as drugs and crime are creeping in.
The house is too big, its time to down size.
I want to move closer to where I work.
etc...etc....
The problem we have in the Melrose neighborhood is this:
The value of these homes climb every year, because of its proximity to Kinnick/U of I.
But its the very same proximity that is causing the problems.
It sounds like the neighborhood wants their cake and eat it too.
They dont want to move because they are sitting on the gold mine but they cant stand the noise and debris left by the miners.
Why cant these people police their own properties on game day?
Its 7 saturdays a year! If I knew the exact dates and time frames that vandals were going to be desecrating my property, I would be thrilled and I would be sitting on a lawn chair, in my yard, with a tazer.

There are all kinds of reasons why people sell their homes and move on.
People get too old to shovel drives or mow lawns, so they sell and buy a condo.
Bad elements, such as drugs and crime are creeping in.
The house is too big, its time to down size.
I want to move closer to where I work.
etc...etc....
The problem we have in the Melrose neighborhood is this:
The value of these homes climb every year, because of its proximity to Kinnick/U of I.
But its the very same proximity that is causing the problems.
It sounds like the neighborhood wants their cake and eat it too.
They dont want to move because they are sitting on the gold mine but they cant stand the noise and debris left by the miners.
Why cant these people police their own properties on game day?
Its 7 saturdays a year! If I knew the exact dates and time frames that vandals were going to be desecrating my property, I would be thrilled and I would be sitting on a lawn chair, in my yard, with a tazer.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. These people don't want to sell their houses (Especially guy who has owned his house 25+ years) because they are sitting on a gold mine. What they are failing to realize is the proximity to Kinnick and the hospital is what has made their property values skyrocket. I can understand not wanting have people urinating in your yard and throwing garbage in it all day. But like you said it's only 7 days a year and you know when its going to happen.
The idea of him locking up his house and leaving town for home games is a great idea if you don't want to be part of the atmosphere. That is better then complaining about it. I just can't understand why you wouldn't park some cars on your lawn and chalk up a couple hundred bucks for 3 months out of the year.
Think about this guy who has owned his house for 25 years. He probably bought it for much less than $100k at the time and now just based on it's location it has appreciated 5 times that. If it wasn't for Kinnick and the hospital their home would not have that type of value.

These people have been complaining for years. Unfortunately people are finally listening to them instead of just ignoring them. I personally find a lot of the stories coming from this camp to be extreme exaggerations. Does some of the bad behavior happen? Yes, but I don't think it is anywhere close to how they portray it.

There are many things those who are anti gameday can do. Yet these people chose to ***** and moan. I bet if they put up temporary fencing on their property most of the things they say is happening will not happen on there property. But then they won't have anything to cry about. I think the loudest cries are coming from those who will whine about anything and everything.

They don't only dread it they detest it.

Last edited:

Latest posts