Kinnick Neighborhood Residents Dread Gamedays

Turn the lemons into lemonade. A friend of mine lives on Olive Street. He parks 25 cars on his front and side yard. His backyard is rented to sororities and fraternities at $600 a game.

I live, work and went to college in Iowa City and recently there have been several middle aged co-workers employees of mine who have moved here from other states, town, etc. They feel that they need to clean up the town and save it from the college students. I tell them the same thing... it is the college students town! No one would have a job in this town if not for those college students. So you want to clean it up get an orange vest and pick up after them or create a company that recycles or something usefull. If you try to use legislation it will backfire.

One of my friends kids paid for season tickets by collecting cans on football Saturdays. So find a way to fix the problem yourself and quit complaining.

Gamedays are like a nursing home party now days. I was 100% against moving and building a new stadium 8-10years ago, boy am i starting to regret that...

Appraised @ $512,300 for tax purposes. Approximately $8K to 9K per year tax. This is right near the parking/party area on Olive Court. There will be enough whizzing on gameday to kill the grass for years to come...

On further look, this appears to be the whole parking/party location that is for sale. University Heights would not allow this area to be developed a couple of years ago (condos). This is your big opportunity to buy and have a parking lot for seven days a year. It's a bargain at this price.

The condo project in UH is back on the drawing board.

Then move, idiots. These folks are in the same category as the morons who buy houses near the airport and complain of noise from the planes.

I am guessing Kinnick was there before people bought the houses near it. Probably should have taken that into consideration before buying, no? It's just seven days out of 365, too.

I am personal friends with an olive court resident. he bought the house in 1973 and never had troubles until around the mid 1990s. . he didn't mind game day at all until then.

This guy is an employee of UIHC and said he never anticipated having troubles living next to kinnick when he bought the place in 73....and he didn't have troubles for nearly 20+ years. We can't blame success because Iowa was winning way before the mid 1990s. Its hardly unfair to blame them for not taking consideration when they live there for nearly a quarter of a century before troubles began. he says almost every season someone walks right into his house looking for the can....no asking just walks right..in

its a newer problem.

I have little sympathy for anyone complaining about the problems in their neighborhood, on Melrose. If you cant put enough thought into the biggest financial investment of your life, then you get whatever you get.
There are LOTS of places I would never buy a house, for various, OBVIOUS reasons.
I'd say that tailgating around Melrose is a known and obvious situation.

Wow. Hard one to call. Yes the U was there first. Yes people should have some respect and control. I mean where ever you live you dont want people throwing trash in your yard or passing out in it. Living by the U should not be any different.
Knowing it's that close to the U why wouldnt you know what goes on there before you buy?

These people should put up their own can-collecting bins, they could make a fair amount of money off of people tossing their cans in there.

Then put up a row of porto-johnnys and charge people $2 to use them. People will be desperate enough to pay.

If people pee in the yard, get a cattle prod and go give them a good shock. :)

I have little sympathy for anyone complaining about the problems in their neighborhood, on Melrose. If you cant put enough thought into the biggest financial investment of your life, then you get whatever you get.
There are LOTS of places I would never buy a house, for various, OBVIOUS reasons.
I'd say that tailgating around Melrose is a known and obvious situation.
I just talked to my co-worker this morning about the issue (who lives on olive court very near Melrose). Unfortunately your comments don't line up with his situation. He actually rented the place from 71-72 so he lived there TWO full FB seasons before he bought the place. Like my original post says he bought the place (your so called "biggest investment of his life") and NEVER had a problem. In fact he didn't have a problem for a quarter of a Century. Please explain to me hwo someone could have had an idea or forsight to see a problem coming 25 years away. He said game day was a total non issue until the mid to late 90s. Yes you do get whatever you get but you seem to think people who bought houses 40 years ago should have know that in 25 years there would be a sudden onset of drunks walking into their houses and peeing in their back yards.

The condo project in UH is back on the drawing board.

The actice condo project is a different project located by the St Andrews Presbyterian Church. If developed successfully, it will increase tax base of University Heights by 50%. The Olive Court project was effectively killed several years ago.

I just talked to my co-worker this morning about the issue (who lives on olive court very near Melrose). Unfortunately your comments don't line up with his situation. He actually rented the place from 71-72 so he lived there TWO full FB seasons before he bought the place. Like my original post says he bought the place (your so called "biggest investment of his life") and NEVER had a problem. In fact he didn't have a problem for a quarter of a Century. Please explain to me hwo someone could have had an idea or forsight to see a problem coming 25 years away. He said game day was a total non issue until the mid to late 90s. Yes you do get whatever you get but you seem to think people who bought houses 40 years ago should have know that in 25 years there would be a sudden onset of drunks walking into their houses and peeing in their back yards.
Good point. People back then were just drinkng out of the outside hose to get rid of cotton mouth. But you are right, I bet it did change in that amount of time. Not to mention so did your co worker, if he bought it at 25 he would now be? .

Good point. People back then were just drinkng out of the outside hose to get rid of cotton mouth. But you are right, I bet it did change in that amount of time. Not to mention so did your co worker, if he bought it at 25 he would now be? .

ding ding ding.

People don't change much, just our perceptions of them do.

I'm sure some of the people are getting older and don't like putting up with the mess after games. With that being said look where you are living. Nobody is forcing you to live in that area. Iowa City is a nice community and you can get away from that if you choose to.

Peeing in yards isn't cool though.

I did have a friend who lived off Melrose in college (his Dad owned the house) and they could pay rent during football season off the cans they collected that month. I'm sure some of the cans were their own but you get the point.

I'm sure some of the people are getting older and don't like putting up with the mess after games. With that being said look where you are living. Nobody is forcing you to live in that area. Iowa City is a nice community and you can get away from that if you choose to.

Peeing in yards isn't cool though.

I did have a friend who lived off Melrose in college (his Dad owned the house) and they could pay rent during football season off the cans they collected that month. I'm sure some of the cans were their own but you get the point.
And neither is throwing your trash around. Cans yes, I would love it if people walked by my yard and threw nickels in it all day. Heck I would see it like owning a wishing well, put up a baby pool with a back board and ta da, I own a wishing well.

I am personal friends with an olive court resident. he bought the house in 1973 and never had troubles until around the mid 1990s. . he didn't mind game day at all until then.

This guy is an employee of UIHC and said he never anticipated having troubles living next to kinnick when he bought the place in 73....and he didn't have troubles for nearly 20+ years. We can't blame success because Iowa was winning way before the mid 1990s. Its hardly unfair to blame them for not taking consideration when they live there for nearly a quarter of a century before troubles began. he says almost every season someone walks right into his house looking for the can....no asking just walks right..in

its a newer problem.

It was prob MeanDrunkR2D2 looking for the guys fishtank to poop in. :eek:

And neither is throwing your trash around. Cans yes, I would love it if people walked by my yard and threw nickels in it all day. Heck I would see it like owning a wishing well, put up a baby pool with a back board and ta da, I own a wishing well.

"Dude, that's one #ell of a cool Dora (TM) wishing well you got there!" ;)

"Dude, that's one #ell of a cool Dora (TM) wishing well you got there!" ;)
Well come on you have to make a good time out of it. Have some buds over, grill, put out a couple trash cans and a wishing well and go to the game. Whats so hard about having a good time with things?

He would be 63 years old and I hope to God that I am as fit as him when I am that age. he also has no problems partying his A$$ off on RAGBRAI each year so he is not a fun hater. He was Special Forcesl in Vietnam so I wouldn't know if he goes mental on tresspassers but he almost ALWAYS leaves town now with his house locked tight. He says just getting away makes everything nice.

Perhaps the other homeowners should consider 6-7 fall weekend getaways like my co-worker does. BTW he said that 2002 was a very bad year for game days.

Latest posts