Kinnick Neighborhood Residents Dread Gamedays

I am guessing Kinnick was there before people bought the houses near it. Probably should have taken that into consideration before buying, no? It's just seven days out of 365, too.

That said, no one should have to deal with people taking a leak in their yard and things of that nature.

I understand their complaints. That said, its like moving near the beach and then complaining about sand being tracked on your sidewalk. Nobody deserves to have their property abused, but there has got to be a little understanding on both sides of this issue.

I am guessing Kinnick was there before people bought the houses near it. Probably should have taken that into consideration before buying, no? It's just seven days out of 365, too.

That said, no one should have to deal with people taking a leak in their yard and things of that nature.

Spot on JD. And I wonder how many people actually take a leak in a random yard? I understand houses that have bigger tailgate parties will have their fair share of weiners hanging out but I doubt that very many people walking down the street just stroll over to the nearest yard and start draining the main vein.

Does it happen? Im sure. With the regularity that these people make it seem? Probably not.

There is simply no room for understanding when some lumpenprole tosses down a beer can in someone's yard and urinates on someone's house on game day. Of course, the cops are too busy smelling peoples' drinks on Melrose and busting up games of beer pong to actually protect property rights.

Also, GDR was quoted in the article so it is worth a read.

I have a good friend who used to live on Melrose Pl and his issue was always drunk people urinating in his front yard, side of the house, ect. That is a legitimate complaint, and is bs that people can't respect private property.

On the flip side he sold his house at a premium to the university in about a week so he was cool with the entire situation. I feel no pity for anyone who buys a house near the stadium and then complains about game days.

Aren't the houses near Kinnick way more than what they are actually worth due to location? I would love to live that close someday and would gladly allow everyone and their dog to whizz on the side of my house. I mean it is a special occasion and all :)

Two things.

1) You live near a football stadium. The down side is on game days you must put up with game day traffic.

2) I don't hear people complain when they go to sell those houses and they are worth a 20-30% premium becuase they are located within blocks of Kinnick and the University.

The University probably loves this. They're hoping that people get ****** enough they can purchase up all of the properties around there. They've been trying to buy one of the few houses left they don't own on Melrose from an acquaintance of mine who has no interest in selling to the university.

I guess I fail to see how requiring permits for vendors will curtail tresspassing on and urinating in people's yards.

I would think that one of the reasons for the "new problems" is the huge decrease in parking- with hospital expansion, the Neuzil farm selling, etc., people have fewer options of where to congregate before games.

NO WAY this place costs $545k (a reduced price; used to be well over $600k) if it wasn't located on Olive Ct., a block from Kinnick.

91 Olive CT Iowa City IA - New Home for Sale - MLS #20110332 - Realtor.com

Hey Kinnick-area homeowners, STFU and jump aboard the gravy train. Who cares if some pickled attorney from Evanston whizzes on your lawn - the combination of nitrogen, non-union Coors Light, and Crown is good for the fescue.

NO WAY this place costs $545k (a reduced price; used to be well over $600k) if it wasn't located on Olive Ct., a block from Kinnick.

91 Olive CT Iowa City IA - New Home for Sale - MLS #20110332 - Realtor.com

Hey Kinnick-area homeowners, STFU and jump aboard the gravy train. Who cares if some pickled attorney from Evanston whizzes on your lawn - the combination of nitrogen, non-union Coors Light, and Crown is good for the fescue.

Zillow estimates it's worth at 393K as of Feb 1. That said, It's a nice looking place.

Two things that should be done to alleviate problems around the stadium:

More garbage collection
More portapotties

I am very happy to see the city forcing vendors to do more garbage collection. The city itself should put more dumpsters near Kinnick, little barrels are obviously not doing the job.

If there were many more portapotties, the yard urination issue lessens. I had a friend who lived somewhat near Kinnick, and they were astonished how many people ****** in their yard. They knew traffic would be insane on gamedays and never complained about that, but couldn't get over how many people took a leak in their yard.

And I wouldn't say the increased property values are somehow advantageous to people who live there. They had to pay increased prices just to move there, its not like they bought at non-premium prices and then sell at a premium.

Living near Kinnick is expensive. I belive it has one of the highest property tax rates in the state. Really don't understand why you would pay a lot of money to live somewhere where the main attraction is football saturdays and you don't like football saturdays. This is dumb, I just wasted 2 minutes of my life responding to this stupid article.

Zillow estimates it's worth at 393K as of Feb 1. That said, It's a nice looking place.

It's ok-looking, imho. Many things I'd change about it.
Point is, which you confirmed via zillow, it isn't worth over half a million bucks. Not by a long shot. Evidently no one else thinks it is, either.
I wouldn't pay $393k for it, quite frankly. I have a much nicer home than this already, about the same square ftg, and I didn't pay close to $400k for it.

Latest posts