KF Press Conference @ 2pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don’t know me entirely. My daughter is an immigration lawyer in Brooklyn. She has marched in the protests. My son is in Huntsville, ALA. he has marched in the protests. My older daughter is in Ann Arbor. She is treating COVID 19 patients. I get it.

When I was a young man, I lived in the white picket fence world of Iowa football....but the Black boycott of 1969 destroyed that fence forever.

yes, I am an old man who lives in the past. You are 40 and in your prime. But someday you will be 67, like me. Change is hard.

There has been a narrative on this board that the State of Iowa is a racist State. I say, bullshit! my great great grandfather died in the Battle of SHILOH. Do you know which state had the highest per capital casualties in the Civil War, the great battle to free the slaves? IOWA. When I was a boy, we would visit the Capitol, and view the Civil War battle flags of the Iowa regiments. They were shredded with bullets. Young boys bled and died to achieve freedom for Blacks. It was a noble cause. Visit the civil war monuments at the grounds of the Iowa State capital in Des Moines. They are still there. It will humble you.Please, make that trip, it will chsnge your perspective forever about our State. We have been leaders in racial matters.

What am I trying to say? Race equality must happen. Total equality and color blindness. It can happen now. Gosh darn it, it must happen. I am a Republican, but so was Lincoln. This is a singular, seminal moment in time....the Iowa football team must seize it! My God, the whole country is watching Iowa. This is a great opportunity!

How does this actually apply to Iowa football? The State of Iowa can lead, as it did in the civil war. Embrace it behind Captain Kirk. Here are my suggestions:

1. . Name our field Slater Field at Kinnick Stadium. Do it!
2. Put BLM on our helmets.
3. If the black kids want to do it, kneel during the anthem. LEAD, like we did at the Battle of Shiloh.

Kirk, with all of his faults, has a good heart. Let the kids LEAD HIM. IKM gets it. Let our black players ignite this team. Defeat doubters. Defeat the racism. This can happen at Iowa. Iowa is a predominately white State, but we bled and died for an end to racism 155 years ago. Seize this opportunity now. Ferentz can do this. Even at 67 years of age, I can see this watershed moment. Come on Iowa fans, support Kirk and this team. Embrace a new paradigm. A United team is powerful. Sorry to ramble, but a moment like this...an opportunity like this...is rare.

Damn solid.

I'm not so sure on BLM(the organization) but the premise and ideology, absolutely. Maybe "we stand with you" or "unified" or similar. On the helmet, jersey, both.

Yes, support justice for all AND support law enforcement, which is primarily filled with courageous people who do jobs most of us couldn't.

A sign of emotional and theological health is the ability to listen to, be interested in, and consider the views of others, without necessarily making them your own. This works well. But such "tolerance and kindness" is seldom heard or seen today.

African Americans could do a lot to help their own plight as well. The opportunities have been there for decades. Finishing high school is a big step.

I want blacks to do well, to prosper, and to have the same justice that everyone else has. 3-4 of the individuals I have admired most in my life have been African American...coming from very difficult situations to become great leaders. I admire them them a great deal.

Sorry but I'm from a law enforcement family. The number there due to power and fast driving for ego is higher that you think.

The number of assholes is not small.

Allegedly? Be just, fair, and open-minded until facts are known.

Ok.
Allegedly. More than 20 black athletes, current and former, point to Doyle. Don't be confused. This isn't a criminal trial where these things need to be proven beyond reasonable doubt. If folks at the University are reasonable convinced he violated their code of conduct in a significant way, he gone, I think.

I wish that was not the case, but it's not up to me. I would love for this all to be untrue, but that seems very unlikely.

Sorry but I'm from a law enforcement family. The number there due to power and fast driving for ego is higher that you think.

The number of assholes is not small.
Like amped up TSA agents at the airports.

Unfortunately there are always bad apples and they often go without competent supervision.

Well, I am from a law enforcement family too. My uncle was the sheriff of Sioux County, Iowa for many years. They used to live in the jail house and his wife would make pies for the inmates. They were both kind people. The inmates didn't want to leave.

Ok.
Allegedly. More than 20 black athletes, current and former, point to Doyle. Don't be confused. This isn't a criminal trial where these things need to be proven beyond reasonable doubt. If folks at the University are reasonable convinced he violated their code of conduct in a significant way, he gone, I think.

I wish that was not the case, but it's not up to me. I would love for this all to be untrue, but that seems very unlikely.
Someone is going to have to be sacrificed, Doyle seems the likely target. I have not idea who he is or how he acts. I guess we will have to trust the system. If Kirk believes and insists that Doyle doesn't deserve to be fired, would Kirk take a hike and say enough? I doubt it. He wants to protect Brian, it seems to me.

Like amped up TSA agents at the airports.

Unfortunately there are always bad apples and they often go without competent supervision.

Well, I am from a law enforcement family too. My uncle was the sheriff of Sioux County, Iowa for many years. They used to live in the jail house and his wife would make pies for the inmates. They were both kind people. The inmates didn't want to leave.

What goes on at airports for non citizens coming in is embarrassing.

What goes on at airports for non citizens coming in is embarrassing.
I always like to act like I can't hear them when they direct me through the scanners. What? What? I can't understand you! It is an odd, but enjoyable hobby, or sorts.

I appreciate the dialogue on this very complex issue. I agree that it's possible to try to work with the shades of gray that really seem to be present.

Unfortunately, our highly polarized culture had to take sides on virtually everything, and it limits listening, learning, and understanding.

It's possible to support justice for black victims and support the police.

It's possible to support taking a knee and our troops. I supported it and I was an officer in the military.

We need more dialogue and less spewing. I've done it myself and it helps no one.

Maybe this is a time for listening. I, for one, am committed to listening to black people a bit more before I form an opinion. We all have bias.

^^^ awesome.

Kirk doesn't get to decide what happens to Brian because Brian reports to dipshit Barta.....

Oh Kirk can still give him a good paddle on the rear end. I wonder how many times he had to lower the boom on Brian when he was growing up. Had to be at least a half dozen times.

Status
Not open for further replies.