KF done after this yr?

Is KF retiring after this year?

• Yes

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
Yeah, he is probably done. He will wait until the end of season like Kirk likes to do. He might had even waited till June before announcing, except he would have to name the New OC by then.

So my money is on February when he can't push out the OC choice out any longer.

I really don't think so. The image of being butt hurt because Beth fired your son would be a hell of a stain on his legacy (if that's the right word...).

I really don't think so. The image of being butt hurt because Beth fired your son would be a hell of a stain on his legacy (if that's the right word...).
Tough to fight human nature. He tried his best to walk that line yesterday by coach speaking his way through that pressor. To me how he did that said everything without saying it.

Yeah, he is probably done. He will wait until the end of season like Kirk likes to do. He might had even waited till June before announcing, except he would have to name the New OC by then.

So my money is on February when he can't push out the OC choice out any longer.
Yeah the time between whenever our bowl game is and signing day in Feb will be interesting. Will the class stay together without an OC? The kids can all say whatever they want now till the rubber meets the road it doesn't matter. We all thought Proctor was in the bag at this point last yr.

Not only how this season plays out on the field will be interesting but the immediate part of the off season will be too

Yeah the time between whenever our bowl game is and signing day in Feb will be interesting. Will the class stay together without an OC? The kids can all say whatever they want now till the rubber meets the road it doesn't matter. We all thought Proctor was in the bag at this point last yr.

Not only how this season plays out on the field will be interesting but the immediate part of the off season will be too
He will retire. He has been running things his way for 25 years without a boss (Barta). Very hard for someone his age to relinquish control.

I'd be willing to put $20 bucks on him staying.
Straight up....with no odds.....etc. Put in a dollar, get it right, you get $2 back. Get it wrong, you're out a buck.

I'm not much of a gambler. I don't like the possibility of throwing money away even if there's a huge payout, so I'm not going to throw $100 in the ring. $20 is a lot of money for me to gamble. That's a burger, fries, and a beer or two from an average sports bar. Or a decent, large pizza....delivered. So, $20 is a somewhat confident bet for me. But also, not enough to actually try to 'win some dough'. It's more than $5 that I could find in the couch. But not enough to risk more than a pizza.

Maybe I'll switch it to $10.

I think he stays. As time passes, I think it may even be a relief for him after the past couple seasons of Brian being scrutinized (as well as him). I think people forget how much Hawkeye football and the U of I mean to him.

I also think leaving at the end of the season would definitely leave a stain on his legacy with Brian not being retained. I would think after 25 years he would want to leave the program in good hands and a good place.

I think he's done and I think that likely could have been decided already when they put Kirk in a corner.

"Kirk your kids gotta go, now"

"That's not how we do things at Iowa - I have a proven recipe for success. We don't change our processes, we know who we are, we know how to win, myself and this guy named Hayden Fry MADE IOWA football what it is and we've been doing that since you were in grade school"

"We think your great and we appreciate all you've done but we know better than you so we're going to go ahead and make some changes whether you like them or not, enjoy the Hall of Fame"

Now, how do you think that would go over with anyone who's been in the seat of power for 24 years? I would say he's all but gone and that plan likely is already in place. I think the Iowa brass all knew this was the likely scenario when they went all Game of Throwns on Kirk's first born child.

How much pride and humilty would it take for Kirk to hire another OC? Like, I can't even imagine it. Doing so would be him doing something he doesn't agree with. When this decision first came out, I assumed Kirk reached some sort of agreement ....but I thought that agreement was a exit plan for Brian. Now that I've seen his presser I think the exit plan is for Kirk.

How much pride and humilty would it take for Kirk to hire another OC? Like, I can't even imagine it. Doing so would be him doing something he doesn't agree with. When this decision first came out, I assumed Kirk reached some sort of agreement ....but I thought that agreement was a exit plan for Brian. Now that I've seen his presser I think the exit plan is for Kirk.
Exactly. And who would want the job that'd be any good at it and be a good fit? Is there another Greg Davis out there? No freaking thanks. There was a reason he was available when we got him. I can't see the Iowa OC job under KF at this point being any kind of destination job one would want. Back when Davis got it it sure coulda been. But he was an off the scrap heap retired yes man that would do KFs bidding with no complaints. He's not going to find that again and nor should he look for it.

The reputation KF has deservedly earned over the years shouldn't make other great qualified OCs want to give up whatever they have going to want to go work for him. It just shouldn't. Making everything about this so problematic. So like you I don't think he's making an OC hire and at some point between bowl prep and after the bowl game we'll hear about him retiring. Maybe he delays it till after signing day but man I kinda hope he doesn't drag it out into Feb

Six years left on his contract @ $7mil per.

Tough to walk away from that....
He's 68 and has been making above avg coaching $ for 25 yrs. He's pretty well set. I don't think that'll factor. It'd factor more from the schools side of things if firing him was on the table but it's not. Do I think he'd have liked to coach till he was 70? Yes I do but with his kid as OC and next in line to replace him. But since that's all way out the window things are what they are.

Going forward for him to try and hire a new OC and keep train on the tracks with the league expanding and doing away with divisions it's just all strait uphill for him. For the O to get better it'll take an entire gutting of the Oline WR position and an OC/QB coach that not only knows what the heck he's doing but has the free reign to do it. That'd be like hitting a home run off Nolan Ryan with a toothpick and KF knows it's a longshot.

If they can finish this yr out somewhat strong winning most of the games whether they go to Indy or not it's as good a time to step down as he'll ever get now.

Exactly. And who would want the job that'd be any good at it and be a good fit? Is there another Greg Davis out there? No freaking thanks. There was a reason he was available when we got him. I can't see the Iowa OC job under KF at this point being any kind of destination job one would want. Back when Davis got it it sure coulda been. But he was an off the scrap heap retired yes man that would do KFs bidding with no complaints. He's not going to find that again and nor should he look for it.

The reputation KF has deservedly earned over the years shouldn't make other great qualified OCs want to give up whatever they have going to want to go work for him. It just shouldn't. Making everything about this so problematic. So like you I don't think he's making an OC hire and at some point between bowl prep and after the bowl game we'll hear about him retiring. Maybe he delays it till after signing day but man I kinda hope he doesn't drag it out into Feb
He'll never drag it out that long and I don't think the school would allow that happen to begin with. Kirk is not calling the shots anymore, so that will all be shored up immediately after the season or bowl game I am sure. This is why I didn't want Brian forced out because I have 0 confidence that Kirk would hire anything other than a puppet to sit in that spot. If he promotes Lavar Woods, the move will ruin Lavar Woods career. If he promotes Jon Budmeyer, it will ruin his career. Being Kirk Ferentz's OC is a career suicide. Which is why I've been saying I have no real interests in watching Kirk install another new coordinator this late in his tenure and why I figured, keep Brian there, he's gotten pretty good at falling on the sword for his Dad's inability to have a forward concept about offense and he's actually not a bad coach....chances are good, if Kirk gets his opportunity to replace his OC, that he will hire a much much much worse coach than Brian. I feel confident in that.

Last edited:
It's not about being butthurt. KF may 100% agree with BG that they gave BF every possible chance to succeed. It just didn't work out. Now Kirk has to decide if he wants to start over.... Again. Maybe he looks at how much work it is to start over, to try new things and maybe he will decide he just doesn't have any gas left in the tank. He has taken Iowa as far as he can and he has nothing left.

Latest posts