Kelton Copeland on Oliver Martin

I completely understand what Copeland is saying...I get it. Let me tell you what I think. If I guy drops a pass, in some situations, that's like a fumble to me...although it's not necessarily the quick change and a loss of field position...it's an egregious error. Question...what would happen to Ragaini if he had fumbled twice against NW. By KF's rules, we would never see him again...or at least it would be a LOOOOONNNNGGG time. I would coach like a dropped pass is a fumble, because it wastes the execution of the other team members.

Tracy and Ragaini have had drops...you have to give some reps to another guy...it sharpens the concentration...I'll tell you that. I don't care if it's Oliver Martin...or someone else.

I'm not trying to be a hard ass...you don't want to destroy a kid's confidence...but after a few drops...you have to send a message. Both of Ragaini's drops were third down throws I believe, and would have been first downs and one was a 20-25 yard chance...in the RED ZONE. Both throws, from our sometimes inaccurate QB, were perfect balls. I would have trotted Oliver or John Doe out there on the next series...whether he was fully ready or not.

From what I understand, based on what I heard previously, is that Oliver Martin would be learning to play all of the WR positions. It takes time to learn just one position well, let alone 3. You come from a program that changed their offensive philosophy in the off-season. He learned one set of terminology and routes in his first year. Now he transfers to Iowa and has to learn a whole new system, terminology, and route trees in different system. Plus the fact that at Iowa, receivers are expected to block down field. Give the kid time, all of this is new to him and you don’t learn everything overnight. Different positions have different routes, different responsibilities. He is an amazing young talent. But if he were to mess up by playing too much, too early, how many of you on here wouldn’t start jumping on the kid on social media like you do so many other players. It’s a different story if he’s a senior or has a 5th yr. of eligibility. But a lot of people here would be all over the kid the first time he screws up. That would unfair and unwarranted. But some would question him anyway. Let the coaches do their jobs.

I get what he's saying, but it's not 1975 any more. At every top-level program in the country, if you have the skills as a freshman the coaching staff will GET YOU READY to play. And it's not exactly like Iowa runs the most complex offense in the world. So either they're trying to get him ready to play and they can't because it turns out he's not that good, or they're not trying because he doesn't have his Union Card yet, which would border on malpractice.

I still think it's because Martin went to West and Brian went to City. Learning 3 (1?) positions (they can't even keep their story straight), transferring from a program with a different philosophy, good players ahead of him already. . . Those are just rationalizations to cover for Brian's enmity towards West High grads. And putting Copeland out there to run interference for him just creates another layer to obfuscate the obvious.

Uh - A process? It takes time?
Transfer from another 4 year institution - VanValkenburg and Sleep-Dalton.
Transfer from a 2 year institution - Nixon
True Freshmen - Goodson, Belton, LaPorta, Britt, Campbell

I'm telling you, something is rotten in Denmark.

Last edited:
I completely understand what Copeland is saying...I get it. Let me tell you what I think. If I guy drops a pass, in some situations, that's like a fumble to me...although it's not necessarily the quick change and a loss of field position...it's an egregious error. Question...what would happen to Ragaini if he had fumbled twice against NW. By KF's rules, we would never see him again...or at least it would be a LOOOOONNNNGGG time. I would coach like a dropped pass is a fumble, because it wastes the execution of the other team members.

Tracy and Ragaini have had drops...you have to give some reps to another guy...it sharpens the concentration...I'll tell you that. I don't care if it's Oliver Martin...or someone else.

I'm not trying to be a hard ass...you don't want to destroy a kid's confidence...but after a few drops...you have to send a message. Both of Ragaini's drops were third down throws I believe, and would have been first downs and one was a 20-25 yard chance...in the RED ZONE. Both throws, from our sometimes inaccurate QB, were perfect balls. I would have trotted Oliver or John Doe out there on the next series...whether he was fully ready or not.
I agree but then 1/3 + of BF sideline calls would be like, turnovers.

Sooooooooooooooo KF was right in keeping Noah Fant on sideline against Northwestern last year? Noah had the dropsies at times and everyone wanted more more more.

I believe the City/West theory, being a West High grad. And the "spurn KF once get screwed by him" theory as well.

Thats a double ding on Martin.

I think quite a few of us fans would be more willing to take what the coaches say at face value if they hadn't been so slow in the past to recognize game day talent. Too much emphasis is put on the good story, loyalty and how they practice by KF. That is fine, except when it becomes glaring that a player isn't a gamer and has a better back-up. This might not fit OM, but there is a reason people keep asking the question.

The obsession with Oliver Martin has reached peak ridiculousness. The WR's aren't costing the team any games right now, that award belongs to the OL and QB. Just because OM was a 4 star recruit and a Michigan transfer doesn't mean he's the best WR on the team.
we have a fever...and the only cure is more OM

I would have thought to begin the year they would have had a rotation going at a few of the WR positions. Kinda like they do with the RBs, each series you put a new guy in and see if a hot hand emerges. Nico has had some nice plays this year, but I'm trying to remember the last big play he had for us.

Tracy, he stepped up big time against NW. He doesn't break that tackle(s) and score, we most likely settle for a FG (again). Of course all we needed against NW was a safety to win.

At least get Martin into the flow of the games. He played one snap against NW, and it was a running play (I left mid 4th Q so I don't know if he got in after that). Our offense is severely challenged inside the 20s, and why not get a guy in there that maybe could make a play???