Keegan Murry Summer League Tracker.

MelroseHawkins

I may have missed it but did not see anybody post anything about Keegan's sizzling start to the 2022 summer league. I didn't even realizes they started until my son mentioned it a couple days ago. Figured can have a thread to post stats, news articles and discussion.

July 2 - Game 1 - Sacramento vs Golden State.

The Kings’ top Draft pick offered a promising Summer League debut. In Sacramento’s 86-68 win over the Golden State Warriors on Saturday, Keegan Murray finished with 26 points while shooting 10-for-14 from the field and 4-for-5 from 3-point range along with eight rebounds in 28 minutes.

July 5 - Game 3 - Sacramento vs Lakers.

24 pts - 7 rebounds - 3 steals - 1 block in 31 minutes of play

Keegan is leading the team in minutes each game.

Sacramento is 3-0 in league play.

Love the start especially after hearing so many "experts" during the draft thinking Keegan was not a great pick for the Kings. He isn't a turn it on, turn it off mental case like a certain Purdue player. Picking Keegan will make the GM for the Kings look like a genius. Plus he has such a good all around game. It's not just about scoring in the NBA if you want to win.

Some Pistons fans are freaking out because of Keegan's sizzling start.
As they should be. F em for cutting Garza. That's their penance for it. Not that they had a say in getting Murray but that fan base was doing a lot of chirping over how they got Ivey instead of having to 'settle' for Murray.

Garza is with Portland and his first summer league game will be against the Pistons either tonight or tomorrow I think... I'll be setting DVR for it. You know Garza is going to destroy them.

Can you guys imagine how it'll be looked at it Murray can help lead the Kings out of irrelevancy? That was literally the one place prior to the draft that I wanted him to not go to because of how much of an uphill battle that'd be. They haven't been worth talking about since Webber Divac, and White Chocolate were there. (that was a fun team to watch too just ran into Kobe and Shaq in their primes a lot) But if Murray can get them into the playoffs and being good they'll damn near build a statue of him.

I think what will make Keegan a great player in the NBA is that he is so even keel. He does not seemed phased by the moment or the competition. He just plays basketball, whether in an empty gym or a packed arena. His game is smooth and natural and he let's it come to him. If he has the right coach and teammates, he can absolutely be a 18-8 sort of player. I don't ever see him being a Batman on a good NBA team, but he could develop into a Robin. A poor man's Scottie Pippen?

Love the start especially after hearing so many "experts" during the draft thinking Keegan was not a great pick for the Kings. He isn't a turn it on, turn it off mental case like a certain Purdue player. Picking Keegan will make the GM for the Kings look like a genius. Plus he has such a good all around game. It's not just about scoring in the NBA if you want to win.

The thing with Keegan that many outside of Iowa or the Iowa fan base may not realize, is how well he doesn't force things. He has this smoothness to him and is very reliable. His efficiency of play is terrific.

He doesn't turn the ball over. I guess in the 2nd summer series game he did a few times, but that is an anomaly with him, an outlier.

People and media are starting to see that he only brings positives to a team and typically doesn't hurt them. This is fun to watch!

Can you guys imagine how it'll be looked at it Murray can help lead the Kings out of irrelevancy? That was literally the one place prior to the draft that I wanted him to not go to because of how much of an uphill battle that'd be. They haven't been worth talking about since Webber Divac, and White Chocolate were there. (that was a fun team to watch too just ran into Kobe and Shaq in their primes a lot) But if Murray can get them into the playoffs and being good they'll damn near build a statue of him.

This is what ran thru my mind and what I am hoping since hearing they drafted him. He can really make a statement in the NBA if he becomes the leader of that team and get them competitive in the playoffs. He'd be viewed as one of the top NBA players and could really solidify his place in the league. We will see. Might need a couple more ingredients and maybe some good depth at some of the positions. Barnes is good but now getting up there in age, as far as an NBA player.

The thing with Keegan that many outside of Iowa or the Iowa fan base may not realize, is how well he doesn't force things. He has this smoothness to him and is very reliable. His efficiency of play is terrific.

He doesn't turn the ball over. I guess in the 2nd summer series game he did a few times, but that is an anomaly with him, an outlier.

People and media are starting to see that he only brings positives to a team and typically doesn't hurt them. This is fun to watch!
Most under talked about things about his game I thought is his shot selection. He just doesn't force things as you say and takes makeable shots that are under control for him. (I wish PM would take a lot of notes from him) He just takes good shots and I'm genuinely surprised whenever he misses. For a guy that commands the volume of touches he does to be able to say that is crazy impressive.

Dropped another 24 pts. 7 boards against the Lakers in a close win. Singled out again by NBA announcers after the game for interview and video story on NBA network. Just scored 20 pts. 9 rbs. and 2 assists in a 2OT loss to the Magic where the King's went on a 20 to 4 run to end the game, who do you think hit the game tying 3 pointer to send the game to O/T? Give up? Ya Keegan. Kings got screwed on a overtuned foul call, I guess that's a thing now. The man is making his mark!

Last edited:
Watch the ending to this weekends game against Orlando! He just has such great court awareness and is such a solid and heady player.

Last edited:
If the dude avgs 20 & 7 all yr long he'll get the ROY. I don't see anyone of the others having that good of a combined impact. Granted this is summer league but Murray is doing this and not even looking his best if I'm being overly critical. He's missing some shots he can hit and still learning what his game will be at that level yet. I doubt he'll get those numbers at first only because I don't think he'll be the #1 option. Fox, Sabonis, Barnes are all there so it'll be interesting how they divide up their roles and touches game to game. But man Murray is showing he's capable and the future is crazy bright for that dude.

Fox, Sabonis, Barnes are all there so it'll be interesting how they divide up their roles and touches game to game. But man Murray is showing he's capable and the future is crazy bright for that dude.
There are trade rumors involving Barnes................I saw an article on espn but I cant find it now.......

There are trade rumors involving Barnes................I saw an article on espn but I cant find it now.......
I think he's one of those guys that is always going to be linked to trade rumors. I guy that is still viewed to have some value so a team thinks it better trade while they can...........................before ya end up with an anchor.

Due to how much he makes the team that has him won't want to keep him. Due to how he's not a bad player and can play the 3/4 positions he's got value. If he wasn't so overpaid, he'd be a GREAT asset to a team.

Who all saw him kick Chet Holmgrens ass? I mean holy crap that wasn't even a contest. Keegan scored on him outside inside got a breakaway steal. I mean Keegan is man on a mission. I'd seen that Doug Christie is mentoring him some now and encouraging him to go to the hoop more and get to the FT line. Which he also did quite a bit that game. He can shoot outside we've all seen that. So complimenting that part of his game with going to the hoop more will only make him that much tougher. I'm not sure why I'm more impressed with the guy then I already had been but dude just keeps doing it.

Off to a hell of a start, but it's still only summer league. Definitely establishing momentum and confidence heading into the preseason.