JW

It does mean one thing.... if he had a fracture they wouldn't let him put ANY weight on it. They have all the med tech there to take xrays. Since he has a boot we can assume it's not a fracture.
Yeah I would assume he had an x-ray already before it swelled up too bad. If it was broke i think we would've heard by now.. And I'm no doctor but it sure didn't look like a high ankle sprain either.

We'll see I guess if he has a chance to play on Friday. Couple days in walking boot, lots of ice, and a good ankle brace might be all he needs. Fingers crossed!!

Players rarely return to the bench with season ending injuries.
Agreed. If it was broken he would have been headed to the hospital. It also didn't look like a high ankle sprain. Everyone is different but I think he could be out there by Friday. The first couple of days are the worst and then after that it's just a matter of how much pain you can stand.

I probable was too emotional but dammit, he is playing at a level that could make him the Tourney MVP, the Big is wide open with Michigan’s loss today. I care about a Big tourney title. I just hope he can play at the level he was. It’s easy for this type of injury to mess up your game, especially your shot. That being said we can beat Wisconsin without him but no title without him.

The bottom line is he's hurt. JW will not be the same if he plays. He we will try and protect that ankle as much as possible. Losing the explosiveness on a drive or a rebound can make a huge difference. God I hope for a miracle. He's crucial to our rotational success for the team. He's steady and consistent and has a Garza-like influence when he's 100%

In college I severely sprained my ankle during practice. It ballooned up like crazy. They called it third degree sprain I think. I was in a boot for a day and then crutches for two days. I ran a track meet on day 5. Sprained ankles can heal quickly (granted track is not side to side), even bad ones, as long as they are not the dreaded high ankle, which it does sound like this is. He won't be 100%, but I bet we see Joe this weekend, and if not, likely for NCAA.

The bottom line is he's hurt. JW will not be the same if he plays. He we will try and protect that ankle as much as possible. Losing the explosiveness on a drive or a rebound can make a huge difference. God I hope for a miracle. He's crucial to our rotational success for the team. He's steady and consistent and has a Garza-like influence when he's 100%

ehh that's not neccessarily true. I'm sure JW has likely sprained his ankle more than once before. Anyone who has played a lot of basketball likely has.

I could be 100% when he plays next.

Regardless, we'll see a lot of Tony Perkins who will go off on someone. He is the future and JW will be back by NCAA's. CJ will have more time to heal. Go Hawks live the dream.
I doubt it. If Weezy isn't ready to go you're going to pretty much see the same lineups you did after he went down.

yeah hopefully just a sprain... i remember when i was going to school at Iowa I was playing at the field house (which was a near legendary place to play pick up) I sprained my ankle... when to eat dinner at the Quad... came back after dinner to play again.

Couldn't put much pressure on it so i ended up spraining both ankles... literally could not walk the next day.
I always enjoyed driving over on Saturdays to play on the open courts at the fields house. My buddy and I were shooting around when Andre Banks came out and was shooting around on the half court next to us. We were clanging our shots pretty bad off of the rim and backboard. Several times our ball went over into the court the Andre was shooting on. I guess he got concerned that we may eventually hit him with a ball so he left.

However our version of the events was that we were so good that we ran Andre off of the court......... lol. After a while we got bored and decided to walk around the complex (which you weren’t suppose to do and we knew it). We got into the area where the coaches office were. As we were walking by one open door we looked in and saw Hayden Fry standing at a counter. He looked over at us but didn’t say anything. We were student age at the time and he probably thought nothing of it.

We'll see, I guess. I hope he has a speedy recovery. We need. I've rolled mine plenty of times. Hurts like hell and does take a few days where it's comfortable to apply pressure like a jog on it. Fingers crossed
ehh that's not neccessarily true. I'm sure JW has likely sprained his ankle more than once before. Anyone who has played a lot of basketball likely has.

I could be 100% when he plays next.

I think we are looking at a no-Joe Big Ten Tournament and then like a ~80% Joe in the NCAA Tournament.

This hurt bad. Watching Wieskamp limp off the court, as of right now, is right near the top of my list of worst moments as a Hawkeye fan. I can't even imagine what was going through the minds of the guys on the team.

Hopefully it's not as bad as it looked but now with Nunge (who you can make an argument for as being our most critical bench player) and Wieskamp (2nd best overall player) out, it sort of feels like we're in the hands of lady luck to achieve our dreams of a tourney run. We're going to need a role player (maybe 2) to get hot and stay hot.

Keegan M is playing above avg on both ends. Taking a trey, a drive and bucket, a rebound and put back, blocks and bounds on the defensive end and pretty good DEE. He is not scoring like JW but could be a 10 pt guy with 20 minutes+

listen to post game interviews... bohannon thinks joe will be ready.

Fran also said "day to day"

Pretty sure he just sprained his ankle... nothing more serious than that.

There are various types and degrees of sprains. But in 2021 they have much better therapies than we did 50 years ago.

Nunge is out for the season and he returned to the bench. Just saying. Dont know where this observation came from.
From watching countless games and rarely (not never) seeing players with serious injuries return to the bench.

And body language, attitude, etc. are indicators. Nunge looked like he was done. CJ and JW didn’t IMO.

Wieskamp sprained his ankle his freshman year right before the Iowa State game and played well in it. He wasn't 100% but was still a factor. Hopefully it plays out like that.

In college I severely sprained my ankle during practice. It ballooned up like crazy. They called it third degree sprain I think. I was in a boot for a day and then crutches for two days. I ran a track meet on day 5. Sprained ankles can heal quickly (granted track is not side to side), even bad ones, as long as they are not the dreaded high ankle, which it does sound like this is. He won't be 100%, but I bet we see Joe this weekend, and if not, likely for NCAA.
While I don't make less of your sprained ankle, a track meet is entirely different than a basketball game. Track meets do not involve lateral quickness which greatly stress ankles and knees.

I always enjoyed driving over on Saturdays to play on the open courts at the fields house. My buddy and I were shooting around when Andre Banks came out and was shooting around on the half court next to us. We were clanging our shots pretty bad off of the rim and backboard. Several times our ball went over into the court the Andre was shooting on. I guess he got concerned that we may eventually hit him with a ball so he left.

However our version of the events was that we were so good that we ran Andre off of the court......... lol. After a while we got bored and decided to walk around the complex (which you weren’t suppose to do and we knew it). We got into the area where the coaches office were. As we were walking by one open door we looked in and saw Hayden Fry standing at a counter. He looked over at us but didn’t say anything. We were student age at the time and he probably thought nothing of it.
I remember those courts well. First the ones where the actual floor used to be and then the ones underneath the parking ramp.

Whats strange is why Banks would have needed to go to those courts in the first place, but that's the way it was 35 years ago. In fact it wasn't uncommon to see several players over there, some playing pickup games. Now, they have their own facilities in CHA to work on their games when needed.

On a side note, football player Mike Saunders tore his ACL playing pickup basketball on one of those courts. Forced him to medical redshirt if I recall correctly.

Latest posts