Just a few observations from tonight...

Olgesby's shooting last night didn't really hurt us. The bonehead turnovers were the things keeping Penn State in the game.

His release is too good to not make shots though he cancels it out by fading away for no reason on open shots (I assume he still does this, I haven't been able to watch since the Wisconsin game.

One other thing is watch how much attention he gets....so if the other team is going to chase him like they have then other players need to take advantage of that. The gun doesnt alway have to be loaded for it to work.

One other thing is watch how much attention he gets....so if the other team is going to chase him like they have then other players need to take advantage of that. The gun doesnt alway have to be loaded for it to work.
Thats funny becase, If you got to war with a bunch on empty guns, Your Dead!!

I can see why Gessel is our best option at 2

I think that he looks much better at the 2. Clemmons is better at the point and that frees up Gessel to roam and shoot the ball. I like the move to keep Basabe in the starting lineup but think that the offense is much more fluid with more options to score with both Clemmons and Gessel in the game at the same time.

I think that he looks much better at the 2. Clemmons is better at the point and that frees up Gessel to roam and shoot the ball. I like the move to keep Basabe in the starting lineup but think that the offense is much more fluid with more options to score with both Clemmons and Gessel in the game at the same time.
I really like both of them in the game they are our best options right now.

Its ESPNU, not really worth the time.

OK4P made some good points after the Hawks game at NU about ESPNU.

Bristol knows nobody but the respective teams fans are going to watch the game, so why would they go after decent announcing/analysts when that will just cost them more money? We were all going to watch the game regardless of who was calling it.

ESPN knows that.

I realize when ESPNU does your game you're probably not getting the A team. Anyone know what the story is with ESPNU? Are the on-air talent ESPN employees, or do they contract with people like Jon Miller around the country. How about the camera and production teams? Employees, or hired guns?

In my opinion, what we are seeing from FM this year is a "I want to win this year; but this is my team of the future so I need to train them to play how they need to play for next year and beyond" type of coaching. I don't think we Iowa fans (particularly in football) are used to seeing a coach preparing in-season, for the next season as well. FM seems to be trying to build next years mindset and also try and win this year. Just my opinion.

This team has a feel of hitting the floor running next season and being able to steamroll.

I have this feeling that either later this year, or next year (if he's still around) Oglesby is going to go on a major hot streak and we're going to love this dude.

Well, I for one would love to see him spend it all in Bloomington....

I don't think Fran would quite state it like that..

In my opinion, what we are seeing from FM this year is a "I want to win this year; but this is my team of the future so I need to train them to play how they need to play for next year and beyond" type of coaching. I don't think we Iowa fans (particularly in football) are used to seeing a coach preparing in-season, for the next season as well. FM seems to be trying to build next years mindset and also try and win this year. Just my opinion.

This team has a feel of hitting the floor running next season and being able to steamroll.

the imperative has to be (and is) winning games now. This team has a chance (albeit slim) to get into the NCAA tournament. Fran has decided the best way to do that is to have a rotation of 9 or so guys who hang their hat on defense. And to do that, they need to give a lot of effort on the defensive side and play more than 6-7 guys.

Next year will be a whole different dynamic. They only lose May, and introduce talented players in Uthoff and Jok. I don't think Fran is really giving too much thought to what this team will look like then.

I like both his defense and his passing. He has sound fundamentals...other than fading away on some of his 3s which is probably costing him about 10% from that range.

He dosen't deserve 14 minutes. People say his defense and his passing is good. I disagree!

I have mixed feelings on this. I'm just hoping he goes Brody Boyd for us in the BTT.

Sorry man maybe I should phrase it like this. What does everyone think of a guy going 1-6 night in and night out? Or, What does everyone think of a guy going 32-118 on the year? Does that help any team you are on? Does missing 86 threes help the team. Just a "situation" that I am wondering about.

His release is too good to not make shots though he cancels it out by fading away for no reason on open shots (I assume he still does this, I haven't been able to watch since the Wisconsin game.

Josh was indeed falling away on his shot again last night. I thought he had corrected this in the last two games, but I guess not.

Josh was indeed falling away on his shot again last night. I thought he had corrected this in the last two games, but I guess not.

I'm sure Josh is getting a lot of advice about what to do and why he's not hitting a higher percentage of shots during games but it seems to me his strength is as a catch-and-shoot shooter. Just a smooth motion to catch and up to shoot. No hesitation looking to pass or spot up for a better shot. Just catch it and launch.

Latest posts