Just a few observations from tonight...

krkhawks

Dev- It is a luxury to have him at the line in the last few minutes. He seems like the only one comfortable taking/making free throws at the end of games. Have to give the kid some credit. He was downright awful for a handful of games there and has bounced back. If the Hawks have any chance of making the dance it starts and ends with him.

Aaron White- Does anyone else think he should inbound the ball the last 2 minutes of the game? He just cannot for the life of him make a "clutch" free throw. Don't get me wrong, I love his game but his inability to hit late free throws baffles me.

Clemmons- Thought his defense on Newbill for the middle part of the 2nd half changed the game. When he was on him he controlled him and that slowed the PSU scoring in the middle of the 2nd.

Gesell - His shot from elbow...silky. The kid is gonna be extremely good.

Eric May- Never thought I would say this but he is great in tight games. He plays calm, plays great D and always makes a good play somewhere in the late minutes.

Franny- Man he loves to save his timeouts doesn't he?

Last edited:
Dev- It is a luxury to have him at the line in the few minutes. He seems like the only one comfortable taking/making free throws at the end of games. Have to give the kid some credit. He was downright awful for a handful of games there and has bounced back. If the Hawks have any chance of making the dance it starts and ends with him.

Aaron White- Does anyone else think he should inbound the ball the last 2 minutes of the game? He just cannot for the life of him make a "clutch" free throw. Don't get me wrong, I love his game but his inability to hit late free throws baffles me.

Clemmons- Thought his defense on Newbill for the middle part of the 2nd half changed the game. When he was on him he controlled him and that slowed the PSU scoring in the middle of the 2nd.

Gesell - His shot from elbow...silky. The kid is gonna be extremely good.

Eric May- Never thought I would say this but he is great in tight games. He plays calm, plays great D and always makes a good play somewhere in the late minutes.

Franny- Man he loves to save his timeouts doesn't he?

Terrific observations. Good win. For Iowa to reach its full potential, White needs to be a better free throw shooter! Otherwise, good performance on a night when Penn State played absolutely terrific basketball.

The substitutions and lack of calling timeouts were baffling again tonight.

However, fouling up 3 with seconds to go. Awesome.

More times than not, May made plays, and has been as of late. Experience is invaluable. In two years, these freshmen will be good.

Eric May plays with a purpose. Like, I don't know, a guy who realizes it's his last go-round. Love his role on this team. If he had only made that bunny late to spare us some undue suspense though...

Who schooled Marble on that last aborted drive?

Burke?
Craft?
Oladipo?
Appling?
Brust?
Lil Lick?

No sir. Just normally not the forum posting type. I usually just read and sometimes laugh at some posts. Just felt like adding my 2 cents tonight.

Last edited:
Agree completely. We could have done without Eric's ugly layup miss late in the game, but the rest of his game more than makes up for plays like that. I'm glad to have his experience on the floor to contrast the rookie mistakes of his teammates.

The substitutions and lack of calling timeouts were baffling again tonight.

However, fouling up 3 with seconds to go. Awesome.

I don't get what's so baffling about the subs.... He has a pretty set rotation. He puts in the first two of the second team (usually May and Josh or McCabe) Then puts in the other 3 at the next time out then if someone gets a hot hand or plays lockdown D they get some extra time. Then of course depending on the match-ups and foul trouble he'll give a guy a few of someone else's minutes. Not too hard to understand...

Also you guys who still bashing Marble after he finally carried the team to a close road win can go F*** yourselves.

In White's case, I don't think it needs the "clutch" modifier. He's really struggled from the line in all of Iowa's Big Ten games, with the exception of Wisconsin and Penn State at home. At one point, he was shooting 50% in conference play without those games (when he was a combined 23-26). It's not just in crunch time.

Honestly, his case is most baffling to me, even more than Marble's was. I get that Aaron tends to struggle in the half court because he's pretty one-dimensional right now. But he was effective at getting to the line and hitting his FT's. Now he's missing them, and he has nights where he completely disappears (seemingly even when he leads the team in scoring).

Not often that we escape on the road after giving up a 16-0 run. Not just this team...but Iowa in general.

Props to PSU. They played a great game. They've played a lot of teams close at home so I'm happy with any win.

The turnovers last night were unacceptable. Especially since most of them were of the unforced variety.

Last edited:

Latest posts