Josh Ogundele in the transfer portal

Most students aren't representing their schools on live TV generating millions of dollars either. It's your opinion that he's not worthy/deserving. I don't think they take a vote on how those get distributed out. Fran is the only vote that matters.

Again if the choice is between saving $ for the school just for the sake of saving it or giving a kid busting his ass for the program a free yr of schooling it's just a no brainer to me.
It's a stretch to credit Ash for generating any part of the millions of dollars for the school from TV money. I know Fran makes that decision; I just thought it was a bad one. I would have rather he let him transfer as he originally intended to and see if he could find somewhere else to play. Not the end of the world either way.

This all started with an argument that Ash was more valuable and more deserving of a scholly than Josh O. Which I strongly disagreed with. I still stand by that and don't see any argument that Ash was more valuable or deserving that seems logical.

Iowa’s walk ons could have got athletic scholarships at smaller schools and if you think that Ash couldn’t get one then I don’t take your opinion very seriously

Iowa’s walk ons could have got athletic scholarships at smaller schools and if you think that Ash couldn’t get one then I don’t take your opinion very seriously
I'm sure some could have. Ash may be pushing the envelope. I'm not sure how far down the college level still give scholarships, so maybe. I'm OK with you not taking my opinion seriously.

Also, most Iowa walk-ons seem to have connections, so that doesn't necessarily mean they could be scholarship players elsewhere.

I'm sure some could have. Ash may be pushing the envelope. I'm not sure how far down the college level still give scholarships, so maybe. I'm OK with you not taking my opinion seriously.
Lol, he’s going to tranfer to a D1 school this season and he ain’t walking on to it.

Where to? I haven't heard.
He’s in the portal, undecided, but there are 358 D1 schools and he’s a 5th year senior who can shoot consistently from the outside and got mop up minutes at a B1G school. He had D2 and 3 offers coming out of high school and while they might not be able to offer full rides to athletes, there are a lot of ways to make sure those athletes get enough financial support that it’s essentially like a free ride.

He’s in the portal, undecided, but there are 358 D1 schools and he’s a 5th year senior who can shoot consistently from the outside and got mop up minutes at a B1G school. He had D2 and 3 offers coming out of high school and while they might not be able to offer full rides to athletes, there are a lot of ways to make sure those athletes get enough financial support that it’s essentially like a free ride.
I'm on pins and needles

I'm on pins and needles
What does that even mean? I don’t give a shit where he goes. You said Ash couldn’t get a ride anywhere else even smaller schools and you’re wrong. Take that with consideration that it’s a real dick move to bank a scholly and not give it to a walk on that’s earned it on every level.

Giving your best walk on a schollie makes your fucking walk on program better. Your walk on program is what helps make your team better. We get guys like Ash, Rose, Baer and Jr. Kingsbury because that dream is alive. They could all go and get a free ride somewhere else. It's not like we're going to play 13 guys anyways, and 2 of the ships are the coaches kids, meaning Fran could pay their way if they needed to make room for someone. Complain what you want but Fran's pretty great at roster management.
Except at landing (closing the deal) stud point guards thus far. We shall see with the guys coming in next. And, yes Perkins did some very nice things to end the year...hopefully that becomes a consistent trend with him.

Last edited:
You got me pegged Rusty. I couldn't possibly have played on a high level team if I don't think you should give a charity scholarship to an end of the bench player. I'm sure Ash was giving Iowa's guards a good look at how Big10 guards would be defending them in practice.

I commend him on being willing to work his butt off for 4 yrs for the program, but don't think that warrants a scholarship. There are countless good HS players that would have loved to have his opportunity as a walk on and would have privided the same effort and benefit in practice. Rewarding a sholly to a walk-on should be reserved for a player who has proven to be a contributor or future contributor, not as a charity, lifetime achievement award in my opinion.
Ya....if I remember right....Mr. Davis had the Grey Team. I think it produced two guys who were scholarship worthy (meaning they could play meaningful minutes in games). Darryl Moore and Jason Bauer.....I think Moore for sure. I don't completely remember about Bauer.

A wonderful honor to be a part of the program in some way, but scholarships should go to people who are going to win you games because they are going to play in them.

There is not a doubt Ash loves Iowa and can throw ugly looking form shooting 3 pointers in the basket on a regular basis in mop up duty. There is probably no doubt he busts his ass in practice. He probably kicks ass in a game of horse when no one has to guard him and has beat JBo a few times.

But, I agree with Rydogg, Ash is not the only game in town to get that type of practice player to come get their ass kicked up and down by the starters.

Getting to be a part of the team, getting to see the games essentially for free (and the best seat in the house) is not exactly being a dick to him. He gets a quality education with D1 experiences he can take with him....not to the Pro level....but would look really good if he wanted to coach some day. IMHO.

Last edited:
One thing I'm not worried about is saving the athletic department any money... If you have another more deserving player wishing they had the scholly then ok make that argument. But to just bank it and save it making Ash or whomever the kid is in this scenario have to pay for schooling that yr is just being a dick.
No one was forcing Ash to be here either.

But, Fran made the choice to give him a scholarship. Ash made out really well financially this past year with that move, there is no denying that. Fran did Ash a solid.

But, I also think some kid out there (whoever that may be or could have been), who could have possibly played meaningful minutes with that scholarship this past season, never got the chance because Fran was being nice to him. What if that could have been the difference in the Richmond game? We will never know.

Another thing we will never know.....what would have happened if the Big O played in the Richmond game? After making the starters for Purdue look silly in stretches....it is a damn shame he was not used in the Big Dance.

Last edited:

He may have had offers from D3 schools, but NCAA D3 does not allow any sports scholarships. Academic scholarships? Sure. But not sports scholarships

It's a stretch to credit Ash for generating any part of the millions of dollars for the school from TV money. I know Fran makes that decision; I just thought it was a bad one. I would have rather he let him transfer as he originally intended to and see if he could find somewhere else to play. Not the end of the world either way.

This all started with an argument that Ash was more valuable and more deserving of a scholly than Josh O. Which I strongly disagreed with. I still stand by that and don't see any argument that Ash was more valuable or deserving that seems logical.
Ash being on the team and often spoken about by the announcers and shown late in games generates more than the average student. He's been representing the school. Tough to put any kind of tangible value on that but whatever it is it's more than the avg student which where my initial comparison was coming from. I think he probably got fair trade for his scholly for 1 yr considering he was in the program for 4.

No one was forcing Ash to be here either.

But, Fran made the choice to give him a scholarship. Ash made out really well financially this past year with that move, there is no denying that. Fran did Ash a solid.

But, I also think some kid out there (whoever that may be or could have been), who could have possibly played meaningful minutes with that scholarship this past season, never got the chance because Fran was being nice to him. What if that could have been the difference in the Richmond game? We will never know.

Another thing we will never know.....what would have happened if the Big O played in the Richmond game? After making the starters for Purdue look silly in stretches....it is a damn shame he was not used in the Big Dance.
What if the Murrays had just played better? Patrick, JT, JBo etc? Dreaming about if the 11th & 12th man on the bench woulda been difference makers in a big game is quite the stretch. How many 12th men impact games in March? Most schools tighten their benches down to 7-8 tops. Iowas isn't normal playing 9-10 guys a lot.

Keegan Murray was pumping out 25 plus almost automatically against better competition all yr long yet he wasn't all that good against Richmond. I'd rather pass the blame onto the players that are leaned on all yr long to keep doing what they had been instead of the end of the bench guys who literally didn't play much.

You got me pegged Rusty. I couldn't possibly have played on a high level team if I don't think you should give a charity scholarship to an end of the bench player. I'm sure Ash was giving Iowa's guards a good look at how Big10 guards would be defending them in practice.

I commend him on being willing to work his butt off for 4 yrs for the program, but don't think that warrants a scholarship. There are countless good HS players that would have loved to have his opportunity as a walk on and would have privided the same effort and benefit in practice. Rewarding a sholly to a walk-on should be reserved for a player who has proven to be a contributor or future contributor, not as a charity, lifetime achievement award in my opinion.
So did you play on a high level team or even part of one? Pretty much every high level college team has a kid on scholly that will never see the floor/field and/or get minutes that matter. Did you see the reaction of his teammates when he got the scholly? That tells the story they love him and thought he deserved it. Unless you are part the program day in day out, you have no idea what a kid means to the program and if he deserves it or not.

Seems like the bar is being lowered to justify not attaining X level of successes.
Gee...you're right now that I think of it.

I'd bet Kansas won't ever lower their bar, why don't you go over here and save us and yourself from all the agony Iowa sports puts you through?

Tell them you're joining their community because Iowa has finally broken the camel's back with how inept they are, and how you just couldn't stand to root for a team that you can't bring yourself to like anymore. Tell them you're ready to root for a real team...a team that won't give a shitty community college-grade player a scholarship. A school that doesn't settle for anything less than elite success. Ask them to embrace you into the Jayhawk family as one of their own. I bet they'll even send you some hoodies free of charge as a celebration of your basketball epiphany...a signal of your rite of passage from a clueless homer rooting for a garbage team that doesn't want to win and hires turd after turd after turd as ADs and coaches, to a fan of a program steeped in greatness, tradition, and above all else success.

Or, you can just hit the fuckin' door and not do any of that stuff...don't matter to me. It's sickening.

What if the Murrays had just played better? Patrick, JT, JBo etc? Dreaming about if the 11th & 12th man on the bench woulda been difference makers in a big game is quite the stretch. How many 12th men impact games in March? Most schools tighten their benches down to 7-8 tops. Iowas isn't normal playing 9-10 guys a lot.

Keegan Murray was pumping out 25 plus almost automatically against better competition all yr long yet he wasn't all that good against Richmond. I'd rather pass the blame onto the players that are leaned on all yr long to keep doing what they had been instead of the end of the bench guys who literally didn't play much.
I don't disagree that the starters blew it....especially shooting wise. But, the Big O's size could have been used. Unfortunately, the coaching staff did not start making the necessary adjustments until it was to late. Iowa needed to pound the ball inside and they stayed committed to the perimeter game way to long.

Gee...you're right now that I think of it.

I'd bet Kansas won't ever lower their bar, why don't you go over here and save us and yourself from all the agony Iowa sports puts you through?

Tell them you're joining their community because Iowa has finally broken the camel's back with how inept they are, and how you just couldn't stand to root for a team that you can't bring yourself to like anymore. Tell them you're ready to root for a real team...a team that won't give a shitty community college-grade player a scholarship. A school that doesn't settle for anything less than elite success. Ask them to embrace you into the Jayhawk family as one of their own. I bet they'll even send you some hoodies free of charge as a celebration of your basketball epiphany...a signal of your rite of passage from a clueless homer rooting for a garbage team that doesn't want to win and hires turd after turd after turd as ADs and coaches, to a fan of a program steeped in greatness, tradition, and above all else success.

Or, you can just hit the fuckin' door and not do any of that stuff...don't matter to me. It's sickening.
All I am saying Fry is that we would not even be having these discussions about trying to justify Ash's scholarship if we were at other programs......like a Kansas that you brought up.....which I'm a Hawkeye so I'm not joining that fing club or any other program. And why? Because Ash would not see a scholarship at Kansas because they would be able to fill it with a serious floor contributor.

That does not make Ash a bad kid.....again by all accounts he is a 110% a Hawkeye and he gives it his all.

But, I'm also not going to be a homer either. IMHO, some of the things being said in this thread reflects some of the reasons why Iowa perpetually stays in it's lane.

I only wish we had half of Kansas's success in basketball....I don't like to type that but it is what it is. And you would to.

Ash's scholly it just a sliver of the pie of a larger problem that has been going on for awhile there.

Last edited:

Latest posts