Josh Ogundele in the transfer portal

I never said once that sports weren’t entertainment.

That point is moot, though. The market is there and it’s being filled, freely.

You are COMPLETELY confusing what you want with what the market wants. Just because you don’t like something doesn’t make it wrong, or unethical. You can spin it any way you want, but you’re still saying that adult players of a game should be forced to stay in college longer than they want to because you want to sit on your couch and watch them play. That’s fucking ridiculous.

And trust me, the open market isn’t bad for business one bit. Demand isn’t going to go down one bit. There will be some losses off people because their old-timey, rah rah college toy got taken away from them, but there will be plenty of demand for college basketball. Like football, there is finite talent out there and the distribution of that talent will still fall the same way it always has. There might be more personnel changes from year to year, but guess what…

You’re never gonna quit watching no matter what, which is what’s going to keep paying the bills of the sport. And no one else is either.
I just think the WNBA has a standard that is better for the women's game at the college level. It puts some regulation on the open market. I think all things considered, not such a bad thing for the overall scope of the college game....something that could strengthen the men's college game as well. Reduce the extreme turnover.

For the extremely poor family of a highly talent individual, they may beg to differ. And, I really can't argue much there as well.

It comes down to where do you want to draw the line. Ultimately, the Pro Levels hold the cards here. All things considered, I like what the WNBA is doing...especially with NIL now a reality for college athletes.

How absurd would it be if you were talking about a guy who was savant computer programmer getting a full scholarship in computer science, but left because Google saw his talent and wanted To pay him $250K a year?

“Would you say to your buddies, “Man, they gotta come up with a way to keep these kids in college longer…”
@HaydenHawk56 any response to the above?

I just think the WNBA has a standard that is better for the women's game at the college level. It puts some regulation on the open market. I think all things considered, not such a bad thing for the overall scope of the college game.

For the extremely poor family of a highly talent individual, they may beg to differ. And, I really can't argue much there as well.

It comes down to where do you want to draw the line. Ultimately, the Pro Levels hold the cards here. All things considered, I like what the WNBA is doing...especially with NIL now a reality for college athletes.
Sorry. When you boil it down, you’re still saying that an adult should be forced to stay in college instead of using their talent to make money as they see fit—strictly for your entertainment. There no other way for you to frame it.

You can try and make it be about what’s right and what’s wrong and what’s honorable all you want, but it’s all fluff. You want kids to be forced to defer their talents and money making potential because to not do so would disturb what you think the model of their sport should look like.

For your own selfish entertainment. There’s zero logical reason for any of that outside your own fulfillment.

And using the WNBA as an example is ridiculous too. It’s a HORRIBLE fricking product. Terrible. And it shows. Attendance is garbage and the tv market is for all intents and purposes non-existent. When an average high school boys team would beat the pro league (WNBA) champs by 50 points, ain’t no one gonna watch it. Call it sexism if you want, it doesn’t change the fact that the comped level is a thousand miles from the mens game. It is what it is.

Your comparing a league like the NBA and NCAA for which there is unbelievable demand to a product that sucks and almost no one watches. Does not compute.
Regardless of your opinion, it is a Pro Sport Organization that has a 22 year age limit. You don't agree with it and that is your opinion.

But, the WNBA is doing the women's college game a favor by having it in place. Which is also my opinion.

I just think the WNBA has a standard that is better for the women's game at the college level. It puts some regulation on the open market. I think all things considered, not such a bad thing for the overall scope of the college game....something that could strengthen the men's college game as well. Reduce the extreme turnover.

What if I was a UPS guy and you worked in shipping department of a place I stopped to pick stuff up every day. Let’s say you were damn good at your job as a shipping clerk and you made my life easy. Labels were good to go, every package was lined up for me, paperwork was always slick.

Let’s also say that because you were damn good at your job that you got offered a promotion to manager, and I raised holy hell about how it was bullshit, and how “we need to find a way to keep these fuckin guys from getting promoted and paid more.” And I said how stupid it was that you would shit on me and your co-workers by taking a better paying job with more responsibility because by god I want my job to be easier.

Thats what you’re saying these kids should do.

I would say the college athletic department is not going to be hurt by that and I would say more power to that kid.

2 different situations, but I know where you are coming from and I don't totally disagree (see my poor family talent kid example).
ITS NOT A DIFFERENT SITUATION.

What if it hurt the computer science department because this kid was doing innovative research? You still wouldn’t say, “Dude you need to stay in college.” And neither would his profs.

but you’re saying that with sports. Because it’s threatening your “warm and fuzzy” that you get from the good ole days. Sorry but that’s 100% selfish motive and there’s no way you can put blame or fault on players.

You know I could respect the bell out of your opinion if you just said it for what it is. You want good ole days sports back because you like it. I think it’s dumb, but at least if you said that you wouldn’t be trying to rationalize and manipulate it into some sort of situation where the players are the bad guys and they’re being dishonorable. The blame goes on you for being selfish, not them for being smart and following their dreams.

Sorry. When you boil it down, you’re still saying that an adult should be forced to stay in college instead of using their talent to make money as they see fit—strictly for your entertainment. There no other way for you to frame it.

You can try and make it be about what’s right and what’s wrong and what’s honorable all you want, but it’s all fluff. You want kids to be forced to defer their talents and money making potential because to not do so would disturb what you think the model of their sport should look like.

For your own selfish entertainment. There’s zero logical reason for any of that outside your own fulfillment.
No, I don't believe a college should force a player to play.....but that means that have to release their scholly if they leave early.

But, I do believe, a Pro Organization should have the right to set their own standards. I do think good can come of having you be 22 years old before turning pro. You get an education, less roster turnover, and more building excitement for that athletic department and fan base. Does it come at the expense of the individual? Sure, there is no denying that.

Just like the United States Military does not let 10 year olds fight on the front lines. There is some regulation in place for the greater good of society.

In this case, I think a private corporation is actually doing a good deed...which is not always the case in the corporation looking out for their workers. That is why we have some government regulation in the workplace on various issues to keep people from being exploited.

Last edited:
Regardless of your opinion, it is a Pro Sport Organization that has a 22 year age limit. You don't agree with it and that is your opinion.

But, the WNBA is doing the women's college game a favor by having it in place. Which is also my opinion.
Lol, remember what I said about there being almost no market demand for that product???

I guarantee you, and you know damn well yourself, that if there was the same level of demand for chick basketball as there is for the NBA, there would be no 22 year old age requirement. That’s disappear so fast it’d make your head spin

ITS NOT A DIFFERENT SITUATION.

What if it hurt the computer science department because this kid was doing innovative research? You still wouldn’t say, “Dude you need to stay in college.” And neither would his profs.

but you’re saying that with sports. Because it’s threatening your “warm and fuzzy” that you get from the good ole days. Sorry but that’s 100% selfish motive and there’s no way you can put blame or fault on players.

You know I could respect the bell out of your opinion if you just said it for what it is. You want good ole days sports back because you like it. I think it’s dumb, but at least if you said that you wouldn’t be trying to rationalize and manipulate it into some sort of situation where the players are the bad guys and they’re being dishonorable. The blame goes on you for being selfish, not them for being smart and following their dreams.
Well, the computer science department can follow his research from Google and I'm sure they will be just fine. Unless, Google hides that information behind closed doors. But, that would be a private company decision. I suppose it could maybe hinder some of their research, but fortunately they got brilliant research professors their to pick up the slack.

Lol, remember what I said about there being almost no market demand for that product???

I guarantee you, and you know damn well yourself, that if there was the same level of demand for chick basketball as there is for the NBA, there would be no 22 year old age requirement. That’s disappear so fast it’d make your head spin
Maybe, as I said, money is a factor in it. But, there is not denying, they have a 22 year old age limit right now and the men don't.

But, I do believe, a Pro Organization should have the right to set their own standards. I do think good can come of having you be 22 years old before turning pro. You get an education, less roster turnover, and more building excitement for that athletic department and fan base. Does it come at the expense of the individual? Sure, there is no denying that.
They should absolutely have the right to set their own standards. Just like the NBA should be free to not have a 22 year old rule.

Should it be the responsibility of a player to make sure that middle aged dudes across America are excited? Or should they be free to go make a career like literally everyone else in the country?

By your logic should we force everyone to go college? If not, then why just athletes?

Hint*** it’s because you are trying to come up with justification to make your point seem morally right.

Well, the computer science department can follow his research from Google and I'm sure they will be just fine. Unless, Google hides that information behind closed doors. But, that would be a private company decision. I suppose it could maybe hinder some of their research, but fortunately they got brilliant research professors their to pick up the slack.
Doing a little grasping at straws there, eh? Dodging the point.

Answer the question.

Should we force people with elite skills to stay in college and prohibit them from leaving to start a career for our entertainment?

I don’t know how much more black and white I can phrase the question.

They should absolutely have the right to set their own standards. Just like the NBA should be free to not have a 22 year old rule.

Should it be the responsibility of a player to make sure that middle aged dudes across America are excited? Or should they be free to go make a career like literally everyone else in the country?

By your logic should we force everyone to go college? If not then why just athletes?

Hint*** it’s because you are trying to come up with justification to make your point seem morally right.
Yep, but what you do with setting your standards can also be telling. There are pros and cons in both ways of doing things.

Maybe, as I said, money is a factor in it. But, there is not denying, they have a 22 year old age limit right now and the men don't.
And there’s no denying that if there were huge demand for pro chick ball they wouldn’t restrict entry.

Doing a little grasping at straws there, eh? Dodging the point.

Answer the question.

Should we force people with elite skills to stay in college and prohibit them from leaving to start a career for our entertainment?

I don’t know how much more black and white I can phrase the question.
I stand by statement there.

And there’s no denying that if there were huge demand for pro chick ball they wouldn’t restrict entry.
Until that happens, that is an opinion, not a fact. Might be a reasonable opinion, but still not a fact.

I know where you stand, you are fine with a complete open market and the individual matters above all else...above the organization.

I believe the market needs some regulation, especially in this case here. I want Iowa to be stronger in the arms race. Yes, that is the fan in me, but I want Iowa to be as successful as it possibly can be and produce individuals that can go on to the Pros. But, a complete open market with an emerging NIL co-existing at the same time is going to hurt our program even more over the long run. I think that is also a very reasonable assumption.

I know my take is pie in the sky, but I see the train wreck happening before my eyes. The only people that can change this is the NFL and the NBA....which they are not going to do.

But, I applaud the WNBA for having an age limit. UConn Women would be even richer with an open market.

Last edited:
Until that happens, that is an opinion, not a fact. Might be a reasonable opinion, but still not a fact.

I know where you stand, you are fine with a complete open market and the individual matters above all else...above the organization.

I believe the market needs some regulation, especially in this case here. I want Iowa to be stronger in the arms race. Yes, that is the fan in me, but I want Iowa to be as successful as it possibly can be and produce individuals that can go on to the Pros. But, a complete open market with an emerging NIL co-existing at the same time is going to hurt our program even more over the long run. I think that is also a very reasonable assumption.

I know my take is pie in the sky, but I see the train wreck happening before my eyes. The only people that can change this is the NFL and the NBA....which they are not going to do.
At least you’re finally admitting that what you want another human being to do with his own life is to serve a purpose that you want, not him.

Latest posts