Josh Ogundele in the transfer portal

At least you’re finally admitting that what you want another human being to do with his own life is to serve a purpose that you want, not him.
No, I just think society is more successful when we can all get a piece of the pie. And, I think some regulation is not always a bad thing in helping to achieve that.

Unrestricted pro age limits in combination with NIL money is not good for the U of I....in particular in men's football and basketball.

But it is incredibly good for the individual.

I never said I'd give Ash a scholarship, btw. But if you want to play that game...

Ash had 52 pts vs Ogundele's 29, in 19 fewer minutes.

Ash shot .692 from 2P vs Ogundele's .542 which is notable because Ogundele's shots should all be from 5' or less.

Ash shot .714 from the FT line vs Ogundele's .300

Ash's overall win shares were pretty low no doubt (way higher than Ogundele's, though)...but his WS per 40 minutes were 3rd best on the team. So we can definitively say that per minute spent on the court Ash had a waaaay bigger impact than Ogundele. Again, I wouldn't give Ash a scholarship myself unless there was no one else to sign, but he deserved his scholarship at least as much, and maybe more than Ogundele.

Right…
Are we really going to gloss over this weak argument. Ogundele's 10 minutes against Purdue this year were more meaningful than anything Ash has done all year. WS stats are meaningless if every minute played are in the meaninless part of a game. Ogundele deserved a scholarship at minimum for his potential to develop into anything. It hasn't worked out for the most part, but was at least worth a try. Ash's was just a huge waste.

Are we really going to gloss over this weak argument. Ogundele's 10 minutes against Purdue this year were more meaningful than anything Ash has done all year. WS stats are meaningless if every minute played are in the meaninless part of a game. Ogundele deserved a scholarship at minimum for his potential to develop into anything. It hasn't worked out for the most part, but was at least worth a try. Ash's was just a huge waste.
You obviously have never played or been part of a high level team. How can you 100% say Ash's was a huge waste? Were you at practice, on road trips, in the locker room? Something to be said for a guy who worked his butt off for 5 years. Ultimate teammate and practice player. You need guys like that to be successful team. Pretty much every program has one guy on scholly that doesn't see the floor but brings intangibles that are above that. All the guys loved him and was a huge part of the team, whether you want to believe it or not.

You’re completely fucking loony tunes.

“Bail out???”

He’s got a chance to make 10 or 12 million bucks guaranteed and you’re saying he’s bailing out from adversity?

That kid has more toughness in his little toe than you have in your entire body and you claim he’s bailing out?

I’ll again refer to your situation in life vs his and see who’s more smart.
Did I say I was talking about Keegan? No. Was referring to those that are switching schools.

Also regarding toughness, kids that age haven't seen much of a damn thing in life. Seeing your wife go through cancer treatments like I have....that builds character and true grit (and hurts like hell).

You obviously have never played or been part of a high level team. How can you 100% say Ash's was a huge waste? Were you at practice, on road trips, in the locker room? Something to be said for a guy who worked his butt off for 5 years. Ultimate teammate and practice player. You need guys like that to be successful team. Pretty much every program has one guy on scholly that doesn't see the floor but brings intangibles that are above that. All the guys loved him and was a huge part of the team, whether you want to believe it or not.
Practice was where everyone including Fran said Ash earned his scholarship

Giving your best walk on a schollie makes your fucking walk on program better. Your walk on program is what helps make your team better. We get guys like Ash, Rose, Baer and Jr. Kingsbury because that dream is alive. They could all go and get a free ride somewhere else. It's not like we're going to play 13 guys anyways, and 2 of the ships are the coaches kids, meaning Fran could pay their way if they needed to make room for someone. Complain what you want but Fran's pretty great at roster management.

Giving your best walk on a schollie makes your fucking walk on program better. Your walk on program is what helps make your team better. We get guys like Ash, Rose, Baer and Jr. Kingsbury because that dream is alive. They could all go and get a free ride somewhere else. It's not like we're going to play 13 guys anyways, and 2 of the ships are the coaches kids, meaning Fran could pay their way if they needed to make room for someone. Complain what you want but Fran's pretty great at roster management.
Underrated skill of his no doubt. With the turnover of kids in college hoops he'll have to maintain that and dive into the portal more and more.

He also gets guys to buy into roles. I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall for the discussions just amongst the coaches earlier this yr when it came down to deciding to put JT back to the bench. They obviously know JT better than us but in the back of their minds they had to wonder if that'd blow up on them. To me JT and Perkins get the lions share of hte credit with how they took it and then played. But coaches necks were put out there too. We don't win 26 games and BIG tourny if that move wasn't made. Not sure how we finish up but it wouldn't have been that good

You got me pegged Rusty. I couldn't possibly have played on a high level team if I don't think you should give a charity scholarship to an end of the bench player. I'm sure Ash was giving Iowa's guards a good look at how Big10 guards would be defending them in practice.

I commend him on being willing to work his butt off for 4 yrs for the program, but don't think that warrants a scholarship. There are countless good HS players that would have loved to have his opportunity as a walk on and would have privided the same effort and benefit in practice. Rewarding a sholly to a walk-on should be reserved for a player who has proven to be a contributor or future contributor, not as a charity, lifetime achievement award in my opinion.

Calling Ash your best walk-on might be pushing it too. I have no problem with rewarding a walk-on with a scholly if they have been or will be a contributor on the floor, but don't see the justification for an obvious end of the bench player. I don't see him getting a free ride anywhere else, either.

Calling Ash your best walk-on might be pushing it too. I have no problem with rewarding a walk-on with a scholly if they have been or will be a contributor on the floor, but don't see the justification for an obvious end of the bench player. I don't see him getting a free ride anywhere else, either.
Lol. Which walk on was better last year??

And there wasn’t anyone else who was going to use it anyway when it was given to him

Lol. Which walk on was better last year??

And there wasn’t anyone else who was going to use it anyway when it was given to him
Kingsbury probably was this year, but we don't know yet. I suggested at the time that they just keep the scholarship open and save the dept some money. They seemed to be going through some cuts not too long ago. Why waste athletic dept money on a scholly that isn't needed or being used for a scholarship level player.

Kingsbury probably was this year, but we don't know yet. I suggested at the time that they just keep the scholarship open and save the dept some money. They seemed to be going through some cuts not too long ago. Why waste athletic dept money on a scholly that isn't needed or being used for a scholarship level player.
One thing I'm not worried about is saving the athletic department any money... If you have another more deserving player wishing they had the scholly then ok make that argument. But to just bank it and save it making Ash or whomever the kid is in this scenario have to pay for schooling that yr is just being a dick.

One thing I'm not worried about is saving the athletic department any money... If you have another more deserving player wishing they had the scholly then ok make that argument. But to just bank it and save it making Ash or whomever the kid is in this scenario have to pay for schooling that yr is just being a dick.
To each their own, I guess. Most students at Iowa have to pay for schooling, so why not him? If he's not deserving of a scholarship on ability or potential, why give him a charity scholly?

To each their own, I guess. Most students at Iowa have to pay for schooling, so why not him? If he's not deserving of a scholarship on ability or potential, why give him a charity scholly?
Most students aren't representing their schools on live TV generating millions of dollars either. It's your opinion that he's not worthy/deserving. I don't think they take a vote on how those get distributed out. Fran is the only vote that matters.

Again if the choice is between saving $ for the school just for the sake of saving it or giving a kid busting his ass for the program a free yr of schooling it's just a no brainer to me.

Latest posts