Jon - Regarding Brandon Wegher

We all assume, of course, that Wegherbomb is fully recovered from his broken hand/wrist/arm/shoulder/ankle/leg/ribs/back/sternum/nose/jawbone/eyesocket, whatever it was he broke last year.

Burst ,speed ,elusiveness and pass catching ability. Its as simple as giving the opposition more things to have to prepare for. And the margin for success is small in most cases. IMO BW couldn't handle being a SG type back. Just too much punishment. Same for ARob and JH. But by keeping the target off of just one of them would make the whole package very dangerous. And as mentioned earlier it would be really nice to for BW to be fresh in the 4th Qtr and blow by the D. Probably JH too if he hasn't lost a step from his Frosh year.

I disagree about burst. Arob got to the whole much quicker. Wheger has better speed in the open field but not so much in traffic which could be because he was to worried about fumbling i dk. BW better elusiveness? I dk thats pretty even to me. Pass catching i agree. But to say BW has more tools i disagree because it looked obvious to me Arob had better vision, burst, power (able to break tackles).

My biggest answer to this question depends on Hampton. How he looks early on will make a big difference where BW3 ends up. But after watching those highlight videos it reminds me that we have a serious luxury on offense this year. Having all three of those guys means they will really help out a young OL. I think they are going to make Stanzi look really good too.

Considering our luck keeping RBs healthy, perhaps this entire thread is an exercise in futility. It may be who's left standing come the first or second game of the season. :(

Both of those highlight reels were great! Thanks for posting. Like we've heard a million times already, this is a good problem to have. They're going to have so much flexibility with Wheger it'll be ridiculous. That should really open up the field, especially with the receiving threats we have. Personally, I do like Wheger the most out of the 3 backs because I think he has the most upside and versatility. That's just my opinion, you don't have to agree. I base that off of Jewel coming off ACL surgery. Some guys come back the same, some don't. Hopefully he fully recovers because having 3 very capable backs would be just gravy. I really like Robinson, too. He's very shifty and always seems to fall ahead for another 1-2 yards, but I just don't think he's as quick/fast as Wheger and I'd give the advantage to Wheger as far as receiving goes. That catch @ISU was amazing btw. The jury is still out on Hampton's quickness/speed. All that being said, I do see Robinson and Hampton (after the suspension & working his way back into the lineup of course) getting the majority of the carries and Wheger splitting out more, going in motion, kick returning, etc. Just my take on the situation. Is anybody else excited to get this season started so we can see what they're going to do with all 3 of them already or what!?! lol

I disagree about burst. Arob got to the whole much quicker. Wheger has better speed in the open field but not so much in traffic which could be because he was to worried about fumbling i dk. BW better elusiveness? I dk thats pretty even to me. Pass catching i agree. But to say BW has more tools i disagree because it looked obvious to me Arob had better vision, burst, power (able to break tackles).
Thats your opinion and thats fine. I'd ask you to review game film and watch the end of the season regarding hitting the hole etc. BW was first instructed to NOT FUMBLE period so he ran stiff and awkward in the beginning for that reason.He began to loosen up and be himself toward the end of the season. Also ARob has a one year led in the experience department so his vision advantage also went away IMO toward the end of the year. As I said I'm happy with all of them I just think BW has a little more threat to his game at this time. If JH comes back at least the same as his Frosh. year he had the best speed to the hole and power IMO.
IDK. We'll see. It is nice to have options thats for sure.

Considering our luck keeping RBs healthy, perhaps this entire thread is an exercise in futility. It may be who's left standing come the first or second game of the season. :(
LOL. I was thinking the same thing. But Mr Coker might just be there to cover us.
I finally watched some video on the Miller kid from Mo. and he is one I'd like to get as well as Gordon. Millers HS looks to run an O that has him read blocks and pick holes like Iowa does so he has an edge. He is also very elusive once through the hole. Gordon looks reall good too but he is so good in open space I'd like to see him at WR and get him some room.

I would love for ARob and Hampton to be the two main backs- not taking anything away from Wegher, if anything, complimenting him. There is so much more that BW could do on this offense, that I don't think he should be measured in carries per game but rather touches per game.

Put him back on kicks for sure and heck even punts, get him the ball in the slot, get him some RB rushes. Just because you don't "feature" him as your number one RB isn't a slap in the face to him- I just think he can be SO much more valuable. Maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but that guy could be so much more than just your featured running back with his skill set.

I don't see how BW is the starting RB when he wasn't last year. A-Rob was the better back when they both played. BW is great but I love to see him come in late in games, bring that energy, and deliver the KO to the other team.

As much as I'd like to Iowa Basketball up the backfield I just don't see A-Rob not starting as our #1 arr-bee.

I will have to take a look at those BW highlights at home later but for whatever reason I don't have any memories of any non goal line plays from white lightning. That's likely less a statement about Brandon and more a statement about my memory.

Wegher runs like Shonn Greene but doesn't have the size to maintain that style for an entire game.
Wegher has better down field speed.
A-Rob finds AND hits the hole much better, which I think is more conducive to Iowa football.

I would love to see Wegher turn into a slot back/receiver used in screens or quick slants/outs. I don't feel like he is, at this time, a player that can consistently make plays on his own (reading the field, finding the hole, hitting the hole).

I think, in all, Wegher is more athletic and more talented but at the moment he isn't the best option for Iowa...if that makes any sense.

When you say BW has more tools what do you exactly mean? If you mean him being more of a threat as a receiver i would agree. I think he is a better receiver than Arob but not by much. Arob had some pretty nice catches as well. Other than that I don't see any tools BW has over Arob.

I think BW did a great job blocking. I just watched the Orange Bowl and he was doing a real good job picking up the blitz.

Arob makes more out of nothing than BW.

Great to have three good running backs.

We have to remember that we're comparing a RS Freshman to a True Freshman. Only because a rbs burst can be affected by being comfortable in the backfield. It think it took quite a long time for BW to get comfortable. I remember him missing quite a few holes in the first half of the season. These guys are reading holes in the zone blocking, and a little hesitation will come off as less burst.

I really think that BW is entirely more athletic than ARob. And that's not to take anything from ARob, I think he's a great rb. ARob showed a lot of heart and is a great Hawkeye, as is BW.

I see Wegher as a potential Ronnie Harmon kinda guy.

I'd like to see Robinson get most of the carries again this year, partially because I like Mr. Robinson, but also because I'd love to see what Wegher can do with even more diversified duties. Kickoff returns again, of course, but it'd be great to see him operate as a slot receiver. Having McNutt and DJK wide and adding Wegher as yet another big play threat in the slot at the same time would be awesome. Granted, I'm far from a good football X's and O's mind, but that sounds like a nightmare to defend.

Wegher catching the ball underneath, one on one, with McNutt and DJK on the field at the same time: I'll sign up for that.

IMO, all of the BW fans just like the big play potential, and don't take the big picture into consideration. Sure, I like highlights, but I'd rather take a guy that gets 4 yards every touch, but never breaks one over 10.

I see Wegher as a potential Ronnie Harmon kinda guy.

At least BW holds onto the ball. :mad:

Wegher is like a Timex watch: takes a licking and keeps on ticking. A great RB for Iowa and the B10.

IMHO he has earned the No. 1 spot; fill in and balance the attack by using the others.

i heard bw3 is going to be a daddy...also i heard he had trouble with grades and have been told that he may go to SDSU? can anyone else confirm these? i really hope that these distractions dont effect him i like our three back system! great guys that know their role in a system. good problem to have.

i heard bw3 is going to be a daddy...also i heard he had trouble with grades and have been told that he may go to SDSU? can anyone else confirm these? i really hope that these distractions dont effect him i like our three back system! great guys that know their role in a system. good problem to have.

You want these to be confirmed? I don't. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that they're all rumors.

Wegher-bomb ought to be the starter at RB, hands down, until he makes a series of mistakes, gets injured (shudder) or either of the other two surpass him. Don't see a strong likelihood of any of those happening. But make the other two take the No. 1 spot from him in practice and on the field.

In NCAA2010, he's currently the starter and front runner for the Heisman! :D

Latest posts