Jon - Regarding Brandon Wegher

I think Kirk will suspend them, because if he lets it go with just community service it isnt sending the right message to the younger guys or the rest of the players on the team. Your correct Calloway did have an OWI, previous season Reiff had a public intox and was suspended. Going by history i think Kirk will suspend them.

Acutally, I believe that Reiff was charged with Public Intox and Interference with official acts.

Looks like im in the minority here. I think A Rob will be the starting RB throughout the season. Wegher is good don't get me wrong but thats just my opinion.

I like Wegher more and would like to see him be the number one, I wouldnt mind seeing the same rotation as last year and leave in the "hot" guy. They both compliment each other very well and will be a good tandem to have over the next 3 years. On top of that adding in Hampton.
THIS! BW has more big play potential but he isn't SG and able to dish out instead of take the punishment all the time. It would really be nice for JH to ease his way back in and really keep the opposition guessing and keep our RB's health and strong. If they all know they are going to be able to contribute a good amount they will still work hard and produce.

Wegher and A-Rob carried the ball between them 340+ times for over 1400 yds last year.

I could see a scenario where A-Rob and Hampton getting 100-120 attempts apiece and Wegher getting 80-90 attempts and catching 15-20 passes next year.

I could also see someone emerge between A-Rob and Hampton and be a tandem with Wegher.

Quite the dilemma to have.

It's B-e-r-n-s-t-i-n-e, not B-e-r-n-s-t-e-i-n. I could be wrong on this, but I don't think Jordan Bernstine is Jewish.

Wegher-bomb ought to be the starter at RB, hands down, until he makes a series of mistakes, gets injured (shudder) or either of the other two surpass him. Don't see a strong likelihood of any of those happening. But make the other two take the No. 1 spot from him in practice and on the field.

Wegher "hands down" should be the starter? I disagree. I like him but I think ARob's a bit better and a healthy Hampton as well. In any event, Wegher shouldn't be the hands-down starter at the very least.

I'm a big Bernstine and A-Rob fan because I went to the same highschool, but WegherBomb is my favorite of the RB's, excited to see what happens!

I actually think Hampton is the best of all 3, but it's definitely hard to tell b/c he was often getting carries after Greene had been pounding away on D's, not to mention having missed an entire season. I'm really curious to see Wegher's development, having had an entire season in the program. And A-Rob is just the steady hand that continues to do nothing flashy or special, but seems to always gain yards and move the chains. He reminds me very much of Mike Hart from UM a couple yrs back.

This thread made me want to watch their highlights of last season:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjEndITnEtI&feature=related]YouTube - Adam Robinson Highlights[/ame]
Couldn't find a highlight vid of the full season for Arob

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkF4KHMTro8]YouTube - Brandon Wegher Iowa Highlights 2009 (HD)[/ame]

Anyone got one of Jewel's highlights from 2008?

-Wegher took a lot of hard shots.
-FRESHMEN!
-They sure held on to the ball well (to the point that it even seemed to slow them down a bit).

How to use Brandon has been on their minds since last summer. But he was pressed into RB duty with Ha,ton and Brinson injuries. He showed his mettle in pass blocking and running the ball, plus some nifty catches.

He is now an unpredictable option on third down. He cam flex on any down. More formations out of the same personnel groups. He is the kind of luxury Michigan used to have

I believe that Wegher and Robinson will once again share the load in terms of carries.
I really like Wegher, but I think many of you are still enamored with the number of 'stars' he had as a recruit.
I encourage you to go back and look at how well Robinson played last year - much of the time hurt. He made some plays against PSU that were unbelievable and his guts and grit are worth admiring. Many of the arguments made for Wegher can be made for Robinson. However, I do realize that Wegher probably has better speed. That being said, I would rather have a guy that can pound out 5 - 8 yards a carry, than wait around for a sprinter to hit the corner just once in a game (this is not meant to be a reference to Wegher, as he is also a tough inside runner...not quite as shifty as Robinson though).
If they share the carries, they will be less beaten up and fresher for the fourth quarter.

I think you make some excellent points. Robinson ran really well, had great balance, and squared his shoulders well. He got really tough yards for his team last year. I really like him as a running back, and I don't think Wegher is in any way an automatic starter. The good news, I think we can all agree, is that Iowa appears to be blessed with three solid running backs. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, and the competition can't be a bad thing.

This thread made me want to watch their highlights of last season:

YouTube - Adam Robinson Highlights
Couldn't find a highlight vid of the full season for Arob

YouTube - Brandon Wegher Iowa Highlights 2009 (HD)

Anyone got one of Jewel's highlights from 2008?

Like the other posters, it's going to be A-Rob and Wegher. Probably A-Rob starting and Wegher splitting carries. It worked well last year, and it will work again this year.

Great post with the vid of A-Rob as he is a great North/South runner. Wegher does the same sometimes, but he is our breakout guy (just ask Northwestern and the umpire who called the pancake hold).

JH is a great combination and we can only hope to see Wegher in the slot.

I actually think Hampton is the best of all 3, but it's definitely hard to tell b/c he was often getting carries after Greene had been pounding away on D's, not to mention having missed an entire season. I'm really curious to see Wegher's development, having had an entire season in the program. And A-Rob is just the steady hand that continues to do nothing flashy or special, but seems to always gain yards and move the chains. He reminds me very much of Mike Hart from UM a couple yrs back.

I thought his tackle-breaking touchdown at Penn State was pretty special. I know you're complimenting him, so don't take that as a big argument or anything. I'm mostly responding to the general tone of the thread, which really seems to be underrating what ARob contributed to the team last year.

With our questions on the OL this year, I have much more confidence in Robinson's ability to get the tough yards in the middle than Wegher. Those aren't the big flashy plays that we all love to watch, but it's one of the pillars of Iowa's offense. If/when all three are healthy I'd like to see AR and JH split alternate series in the first three quarters, with BW doing some slot and some 3rd and long situations. Then give BW and his fresh legs most of the carries in the 4th quarter.

It's unfortunately likely there will be a few games when (hopefully just) one of the three is nursing a (hopefully minor) injury. In which case, the coaches will probably just opt for the two-man rotation and let the banged up guy rest up rather than take chances.

I thought his tackle-breaking touchdown at Penn State was pretty special. I know you're complimenting him, so don't take that as a big argument or anything. I'm mostly responding to the general tone of the thread, which really seems to be underrating what ARob contributed to the team last year.

With our questions on the OL this year, I have much more confidence in Robinson's ability to get the tough yards in the middle than Wegher. Those aren't the big flashy plays that we all love to watch, but it's one of the pillars of Iowa's offense. If/when all three are healthy I'd like to see AR and JH split alternate series in the first three quarters, with BW doing some slot and some 3rd and long situations. Then give BW and his fresh legs most of the carries in the 4th quarter.

It's unfortunately likely there will be a few games when (hopefully just) one of the three is nursing a (hopefully minor) injury. In which case, the coaches will probably just opt for the two-man rotation and let the banged up guy rest up rather than take chances.
IMO the general direction of the thread is simply BW has more tools. We will need them all and I have great confidence in them. Now we just need to get the best out of them and hope the JH has recovered to at least be where he left off.

Wegher and A-Rob carried the ball between them 340+ times for over 1400 yds last year.

I could see a scenario where A-Rob and Hampton getting 100-120 attempts apiece and Wegher getting 80-90 attempts and catching 15-20 passes next year.

I could also see someone emerge between A-Rob and Hampton and be a tandem with Wegher.

Quite the dilemma to have.

It's B-e-r-n-s-t-i-n-e, not B-e-r-n-s-t-e-i-n. I could be wrong on this, but I don't think Jordan Bernstine is Jewish.

THANK YOU!!!

IMO the general direction of the thread is simply BW has more tools. We will need them all and I have great confidence in them. Now we just need to get the best out of them and hope the JH has recovered to at least be where he left off.

When you say BW has more tools what do you exactly mean? If you mean him being more of a threat as a receiver i would agree. I think he is a better receiver than Arob but not by much. Arob had some pretty nice catches as well. Other than that I don't see any tools BW has over Arob.

When you say BW has more tools what do you exactly mean? If you mean him being more of a threat as a receiver i would agree. I think he is a better receiver than Arob but not by much. Arob had some pretty nice catches as well. Other than that I don't see any tools BW has over Arob.
Burst ,speed ,elusiveness and pass catching ability. Its as simple as giving the opposition more things to have to prepare for. And the margin for success is small in most cases. IMO BW couldn't handle being a SG type back. Just too much punishment. Same for ARob and JH. But by keeping the target off of just one of them would make the whole package very dangerous. And as mentioned earlier it would be really nice to for BW to be fresh in the 4th Qtr and blow by the D. Probably JH too if he hasn't lost a step from his Frosh year.

Latest posts