Jok enters NBA Draft, does not hire agent

It could just be that he is just taking advantage of the new rules. Either way it makes me a little nervous. Next year's team would struggle mightily without Pete, I believe.

when I first saw this I thought it was a Jok I mean Joke. He has 0% chance of making the NBA this year. He is a streak shooter with poor skills other than shooting. Not likely will ever play in the Big Leagues. Who knows what his reason for doing this? He has to be smart enough to know he is not NBA material. Maybe just wants to see Chicago. If he ends up leaving I dont see it making much difference in making the tournament, but it may say something about Fran's program

It's either Europe or Iowa next year Peter, shouldn't be a hard choice

Just to play devil's advocate... Yes, it shouldn't be a hard choice. The average basketball player in Europe makes between $65,000 and $100,000 (usually not taxed at all). Don't think he makes that much at Iowa.

Of course, according to Coop and Swish, Shaq took a pay cut to go pro!

Well I hope him the best if he does leave. It will hurt the team but give a couple of younger guys a chance to get some playing time. Fran is going to have really coach up some of these younger guards and hope he can do it.

when I first saw this I thought it was a Jok I mean Joke. He has 0% chance of making the NBA this year. He is a streak shooter with poor skills other than shooting. Not likely will ever play in the Big Leagues. Who knows what his reason for doing this? He has to be smart enough to know he is not NBA material. Maybe just wants to see Chicago. If he ends up leaving I dont see it making much difference in making the tournament, but it may say something about Fran's program

Don't waste too much time or money on your own NBA draft magazine.

Don't waste too much time or money on your own NBA draft magazine.

Did you watch Jok the last few weeks? As the intensity of the games increased He had the ball knocked away, didn't respond well to physical defense, and was getting his shot blocked more often... and that was against college players. Teams figured out that all you have to do is put a little heat on him. The NBA would eat him up.

He can be a streaky hot shooter (when he's open)...but not much more, especially against NBA talent.

I also have to think with the kind of family he has, he'll place a big value on finishing his education. Becoming a 1st round instant millionaire would certainly buffer that...but he's not a 1st round pick.

He may get a cup of coffee on the NBA, but he'll have to improve a lot as a Senior.

Last edited:
That will suck if he leaves. He is fun to watch play. If he does leave, it doesn't have anything to do with Fran tho. It's like when David Silver left school early. He didn't do it because he hated school. He did it because all his friends were leaving.

This might be a lot like the Kingsbury deal. Going to probably be a first team all Big 10 but decides to just leave for no real good reason. You hardly ever hear about good players deciding not to come back for their senior years unless it's to go to the NBA.

If Jok sees next year's cast of returning players not able to perform to this year's class level he may well be seeing this as his best chance for capitalizing on his stock's value. Next year could be difficult for Jok to make a mark if he is the lone primary weapon in our offense. The potential lack of team weapons has the potential to bring his individual performance down.

If Jok sees next year's cast of returning players not able to perform to this year's class level he may well be seeing this as his best chance for capitalizing on his stock's value. Next year could be difficult for Jok to make a mark if he is the lone primary weapon in our offense. The potential lack of team weapons has the potential to bring his individual performance down.

This^
He had trouble getting open at times and that was with teams overplaying Uthoff as well. Next year could be brutal unless a second option, and preferably third, quickly emerges.

People who think he's leaving just don't understand the new rules. All underclassmen can now declare for the draft and come back to school up to 10 days after the combine. No need to start trashing a player thinking he has no shot...you're just showing how little you know about the process and look stupid.

People who think he's leaving just don't understand the new rules. All underclassmen can now declare for the draft and come back to school up to 10 days after the combine. No need to start trashing a player thinking he has no shot...you're just showing how little you know about the process and look stupid.

Does anyone know if he has been going to class this semester? and doing it successfully? That will give a clue to what he may have in mind.

Did you watch Jok the last few weeks? As the intensity of the games increased He had the ball knocked away, didn't respond well to physical defense, and was getting his shot blocked more often... and that was against college players. Teams figured out that all you have to do is put a little heat on him. The NBA would eat him up.

He can be a streaky hot shooter (when he's open)...but not much more, especially against NBA talent.

I also have to think with the kind of family he has, he'll place a big value on finishing his education. Becoming a 1st round instant millionaire would certainly buffer that...but he's not a 1st round pick.

He may get a cup of coffee on the NBA, but he'll have to improve a lot as a Senior.
Everyone has tough nights. I think we saw Jok finally gets his legs under him, after a long recovery from a bad injury. I expect him to gain more confidence and play better over the next couple of years. As long as he doesn't re-injure the knee. Even knowing what has been discussed, he had an impressive JR campaign. 27 mins per gm. 16 PPG. 40% from 3 pt range. 85% from the FT line.
I'm not saying that he'll get drafted if he comes out this year. He might, he might not. But I think he could be very effective off of an NBA bench with his range and his mid-range game. He will start for some team if he gets stronger and more confident with that leg.

I'll be a little surprised if he actually hires an agent and declares for the draft. I'm not at all surprised he's testing the waters. Given how much tougher it will be to get good looks next year without Uthoff on the floor, one way to look at this is that Jok's stock may be as high as it will get (not saying I agree with that, but it's one way of looking at the situation).

Honestly, almost any player would be a fool not to take advantage of this. At the very least, you can find out what NBA teams think you still need to work on without having to give up the rest of your college career.

I'll be a little surprised if he actually hires an agent and declares for the draft. I'm not at all surprised he's testing the waters. Given how much tougher it will be to get good looks next year without Uthoff on the floor, one way to look at this is that Jok's stock may be as high as it will get (not saying I agree with that, but it's one way of looking at the situation).

Honestly, almost any player would be a fool not to take advantage of this. At the very least, you can find out what NBA teams think you still need to work on without having to give up the rest of your college career.

I'd like to see Jok make an NBA team. Even if he didn't, he can make a lot of money in Europe if he can survive the terrorists. The guy knows through experience that he is only an injury away from having his basketball career over with. A guy has to do what he thinks is best for himself. I'm sure there are some sophomores and red shirt freshmen that are anxious to play at Iowa. Jok is fun to watch, but Iowa will survive whether he comes back or not. He made some remarkable progress from his sophomore to junior year. When all things are considered he might be ready for the leap.