Jok enters NBA Draft, does not hire agent

phdsvp

Per Rob Howe.

I think he'll come back to school. However, if he doesn't, Iowa probably doesn't finish .500 next year and might be worse.

Wow, not sure Fran probably saw that one coming. Tells us a bit on how he feels on coming back and playing another year for Fran more than anything, I think.

Per Rob Howe.

I think he'll come back to school. However, if he doesn't, Iowa probably doesn't finish .500 next year and might be worse.

He needs his senior year to get a step quicker and work on his handle before he has a chance to go to the Association.

Don't panic, this is what a ton of kids are going to do now. Heck Calipari said that EVERY one of his players are doing this. They get evaluated and then decide if they are going to go or not. It is like a "freebie" really for the players.

Okay, seriously. I think y'all are overreacting. I think there's a 1% chance he goes into the draft, and about a 9% chance he goes to Europe. My guess is that he's taking advantage of the new rules that would let him come back to school, and I can't blame him. Breathe, people.

Okay, seriously. I think y'all are overreacting. I think there's a 1% chance he goes into the draft, and about a 9% chance he goes to Europe. My guess is that he's taking advantage of the new rules that would let him come back to school, and I can't blame him. Breathe, people.

Exactly. No different than how underclassmen in football can ask a committee for a draft projection; doesn't mean they are leaving.

Wow, not sure Fran probably saw that one coming. Tells us a bit on how he feels on coming back and playing another year for Fran more than anything, I think.

I think it is more about Jok than Fran! I don't think he is coming back regardless. By NBA standards he is not a great shooter, plus his defensive & ball handling skills are far below NBA standards. However, with the new NBA rules, Jok can go through the NBA process, get his grade & make a decision. It is a new NBA process this year & gives players a better opportunity to return to school. But I still don't think he's coming back. At least Bauer gets a scholarship.

I think it is more about Jok than Fran! I don't think he is coming back regardless. By NBA standards he is not a great shooter, plus his defensive & ball handling skills are far below NBA standards. However, with the new NBA rules, Jok can go through the NBA process, get his grade & make a decision. It is a new NBA process this year & gives players a better opportunity to return to school. But I still don't think he's coming back. At least Bauer gets a scholarship.

My thinking pretty much matches what you have said. I bet this wasn't how people thought we would free up a scholarship. I also think Fran offering a scholarship yesterday provides some insight.

The title is a bit misleading. He is not entering the draft, he's testing the waters without signing with an agent, which the new rules allow. He can play in the combines, talk to team representatives, etc. If he doesn't like where teams anticipate him being slotted (i.e. anywhere outside of the 1st round), then he can come back to school.

On the one hand, he's not NBA-ready by any stretch....his handles are below-average, at best and he's not particularly quick. On the other hand, given the vast inexperience coming back next year, his stock likely won't be any higher than it is this year. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

From where I stand, there's very little chance we make the NCAA's next year....even with Jok coming back.....so if he leaves, it's not like it's going to cost us a bid. And with the logjam at the 2/3 spots, it'll be good to get the young guys out there sooner, rather than later....they'll be better for it in the long run or it'll become apparent pretty quickly that they aren't B1G material.

I think you go to Europe from a US college, you end up in Europe for a career. I don't follow the NBA that closely any longer, but offhand, I'm not aware of many, if any, players who are from the US, went to college here, started in Europe and then came back to the NBA. Going to Europe this year instead of coming back to Iowa would seem like an odd career move for him. That's assuming he's not wanted by the NBA this year. If the NBA says we're not interested this year, isn't he better off developing his skills at Iowa for another year, and putting himself in the draft mix next year? If that doesn't pan out, he can still go to Europe and play there, and make some decent money.

Unless he's miserable at Iowa. Then, all bets are off.

Appears he might want the heck out of dodge and is tired of last second collaspes. Then again, he could be just testing the waters.