Jok arrested again

Was this the smartest move? No.

As far as law breaking goes this one is pretty minor... Not like on this occasion he was drinking/drunk or stoned, I am confident that he still remembers how to drive a moped even without said licence. Collectively with his earlier incident I think he earns a 1 -2 game suspension.

This exactly

I agree that it was not too bright of PJ to drive without a license, flag or tail light, and he should face suspension. But I think there are some overreactions here. He was basically driving at the legal limit. He wasn't swerving all over the road hitting cars and blowing a 0.3.

People aren't upset by that. They are upset that he got pulled over for doing the same dumb thing he got in trouble for the first time.

Stupid once = 1 game suspension
Stupid twice = 5 game suspension I hope

Kid has a lot to learn off the court.

Stupid #2 forces Fran to make a move he wasn't planning to make.

Hope stupid #3 doesn't happen soon or Pete will have to transfer to the Clones.

I cannot believe that this program has to come down this hard on a moped violation. I get the operating while intoxicated but seriously in a society full of so many issues this is where the judgement falls.... On a college kid riding a moped around campus that is spread out all over a town.

I hope Fran says I am disciplining him for the OWI but not this silly violation.

violations.jpg

I have friends who would have fixed the tail light and purchased me a red flag simply to help me out. Why didn't Peter's teammates go through the process with him. They must have known about the tail light and the flag, go with him to fix it or take it upon themselves to do it for him.....

That is what friends and teammates are supposed to do. I am not making excuses for Peter. It was at least forgetful and also very Stupid. There have to be people who could give him a ride home or somewhere.....

It is most unfortunate considering the preconference schedule....

Last edited:
I don't really get it. If the university supplies the athletes with these mopeds (don't they?) why don't they take it away after the OWI? Also, why not just get a bicycle after the OWI?

Agree
I have friends who would have fixed the tail light and purchased me a red flag simply to help me out. Why didn't Peter's teammates go through the process with him. They must have known about the taillight and the flag, go with him to fix it or take it upon themselves to do it for him.....

That is what friends and teammates are supposed to do. I am not making excuses for Peter. It was at least forgetful and also very Stupid. There have to be people who could give him a ride home or somewhere.....

It is most unfortunate considering the preconference schedule....

I cannot believe that this program has to come down this hard on a moped violation. I get the operating while intoxicated but seriously in a society full of so many issues this is where the judgement falls.... On a college kid riding a moped around campus that is spread out all over a town.

I hope Fran says I am disciplining him for the OWI but not this silly violation.

1. That would go over like a lead balloon. The time to punish him for the OWI, if you were going to do so, was in April. Saying that now doesn't really look very good.

2. People aren't upset/judging because he was driving without a license. People are upset/judging because he lacked the common sense to make sure the moped was 100% street legal before doing so, which isn't a good sign, especially so soon after his OWI.

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa Athletic Department is pleased to announce the return of Kevin Harmon to the Hawkeye family. Mr. Harmon has been hired as the departments first Student Athlete Moped Compliance Officer. "My brother Ronnie and I spent many years on the Iowa campus riding our mopeds very responsibly and I look forward on helping our student athletes to learn to respect their mopeds" said Mr. Harmon. In addition, he plans to outfit all student athletes with new gold identification necklaces to help with the proper spelling of their first names on exams.

I wonder if he knew he couldn't drive his moped without a license. I mean can't 14 year old's ride these things legally on the road? I didn't realize it took a drivers license to operate one??

If I have this right we're talking 2 moped taillight incidents, 2 moped flag incidents, a yet to be determined number of incidents where a 20-year-old male didn't exhibit any common sense and 1 OWI...which some individual or group of individuals arbitrarily decided to make an OWI on July 1, 2003 (.08) but not an OWI before July 1, 2003 (.10).

I can live with whatever Fran decides to do from running some stairs to suspending him for games. Everyone's opinion on this is going to vary...much like parenting decisions.

Suspended indefinitely. Ouch.
http://hawkeyedrive.com/2014/07/15/jok-suspended-indefinitely/
Iowa sophomore guard Peter Jok has been suspended indefinitely from all basketball-related activities, Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery said in a statement issued by the UI on Tuesday. Jok’s suspension comes after being arrested for the second time in three months Monday on charges of driving his moped with a revoked license.

Jok’s license was suspended following his first arrest last April on OWI charges. McCaffery’s statement comes after Iowa athletics director Gary Barta issued a statement Tuesday morning saying the incident would be further investigated.

“We support Peter, but we’re not happy with his recent pattern of behavior,” McCaffery said in the statement. “In the interim, Peter will continue to attend summer school classes, participate in community service projects, and take time to work on things internally, as outlined in accordance with the Student-Athlete Code of Conduct. We will monitor his progress and go from there.”

He's paying a stupidity tax. He'll either learn and be fine or he won't. I'll assume the former.

Suspended indefinitely. Ouch.

I wouldn't read much into that just yet. The season is four months away and this incident occurred just last night. "Suspended indefinitely," in this case, basically means "we're going to suspend him, but we haven't had enough time to figure out how many games just yet".

I wouldn't read much into that just yet. The season is four months away and this incident occurred just last night. "Suspended indefinitely," in this case, basically means "we're going to suspend him, but we haven't had enough time to figure out how many games just yet".

This.

Christ, we have one of the most hypocritical fan bases in the nation. This guy makes Iowa athletics look terrible, but half of you want him to get a free pass for some reason. Kick him off the team and get someone in there thay respects the program enough not to be a complete idiot. It's that simple. If this were an ISU player you would be calling for his head.

Latest posts