John Lickliter's stat line

John has done everything that has been asked of him. I give him tons of credit. If the entire team played as hard as he does, we would not be in such dire straits.

Not trying to be rude, but how much have you seen?

Payne should be the starting PG.

Every game except the first two. I dont know storm, I mean it seems like Lick values the ball a lot more than Cully, plays harder on defense, and is able to make plays and knock shots down. Cully has more potential and is more athletic of course, but Lick has been doing some good things when hes been in there.

John has done everything that has been asked of him. I give him tons of credit. If the entire team played as hard as he does, we would not be in such dire straits.

I'd love to see the proof that the players aren't playing hard. I'd say the team plays their butt off, Gatens looks like he wants to punch every player on the other team in the face when he is out there. We just aren't very good.

If I play Michael Jordan in his prime (or now really) and play as hard as I can and he doesn't try at all, he still shuts me out in a game of one on one.

Every game except the first two. I dont know storm, I mean it seems like Lick values the ball a lot more than Cully, plays harder on defense, and is able to make plays and knock shots down. Cully has more potential and is more athletic of course, but Lick has been doing some good things when hes been in there.

I got laughed off the board for even suggesting the team looked better in the handful of min lil Lick played despite saying I didn't think he could do it over a heavy minute load.

I don't see how you could look at todays game and not think he outplayed culley in every sense of the game. Again I still don't think Lick is the better player but he sure seems to have a knack of getting things done.

At the very least a lot of people who trashed the coach and his son for walking on owe them both an apology.

Hooper...

...who do you think does NOT play hard, or as hard as Lick? Please expand on your comment. I am not saying you are wrong, but I would like to hear more.

If John were in there as a starting point guard and got the opponents' full attention, he probably wouldn't have such nice looking stats. It's fun to watch him make nice plays, but it's not going to happen if he's the starting point guard.

Once the cow was out of the barn, Minnesota just toyed with the Hawks. This game never was a contest. The object was to get the debacle over with as quick as possible so that everyone could go on their way.

Re: Hooper...

...who do you think does NOT play hard, or as hard as Lick? Please expand on your comment. I am not saying you are wrong, but I would like to hear more.

It's not that John plays harder than Cully, it just seems like he plays with more intensity on the defensive end. Granted, Cully is logging a lot of minutes every game and is called upon to break the pressure by himself. But it seems like Eric May and Lil Lick are the only ones that are putting pressure on whoever theyre guarding and making them feel uncomfortable, as well as getting into passing lanes. Im not a huge Lil Lick fan, nor Coach Lick fan, I would just be interested to see how Iowa plays if John got a start or maybe even some more minutes.

Re: Hooper...

People are debating whether John Lickliter ought to start at PG.

Does anyone need a clearer sign of what is wrong with this team?

The only two players I enjoy watching right now are Lick and May. May tries to do too much by himself at times, but he hustles, is disruptive and does some great fundamental things for a freshman. Example-give and go move off the high post for a layup and followed that with a nice head fake from the corner and drove past his defender for a dunk. But then the next two trips, May forced a trey and then threw it away on a wild drive.

Lick looks like a little bad *** out there, and carries a bit of an attitude out there. Enjoy watching him and cheering for him.

Without these two, I'm not sure I tune in, at this point of the season.

Can it be that Iowa basketball has reached a level where the best thing we can come up with is the stat line of a scrub in mop up duty.

I do think there are times when stats can be used to prove a point...but what point can you possibly prove by pulling out the stats of a bench player who is probably the most questionable walk-on in recent memory in non-contested games.

Don't forget that there are a large number of kids around this state who are quite a bit better than John Lickliter and would be out there playing just as hard if only given the chance to walk-on for the Hawkeyes.

Latest posts