Joe Wieskamp No. 25 in ESPN's New Top 60 for '18

Here's PG's we went after last year before we offered Bohannon who accepted on the spot:

Tony Carr - Penn State
Payton Pritchard - Oregon
Xavier Simpson - Michigan
Charlie Moore - California
Donovan Jackson - Iowa State
Temple Gibbs - Notre Dame
Devonte Green - Indiana

Losing guys to any of those schools is nothing to be ashamed of considering the top 2 ranked kids on that list (Carr & Prictchard) stayed in their home state. It's not easy to pull kids out of someone else's back yard when you are not a blue blood program. As for Donovan Jackson, I don't think he had an Iowa offer. Even the Register didn't mention it when he committed to ISU, maybe they did though.

http://iowa.247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/Offers

EDIT: I did notice that Jackson committed to ISU two days after Bohannon committed to Iowa so maybe they were only planning to take one of them if he did in fact get an offer from Iowa.

Last edited:
Losing guys to any of those schools is nothing to be ashamed of considering the top 2 ranked kids on that list (Carr & Prictchard) stayed in their home state. It's not easy to pull kids out of someone else's back yard when you are not a blue blood program. As for Donovan Jackson, I don't think he had an Iowa offer. Even the Register didn't mention it when he committed to ISU, maybe they did though.

http://iowa.247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/Offers

EDIT: I did notice that Jackson committed to ISU two days after Bohannon committed to Iowa so maybe they were only planning to take one of them if he did in fact get an offer from Iowa.

Iowa offered Jackson 8/10/15 according to a quick Twitter search, Rivals confirmed it

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/1976

The idea the Fran is somehow worse at recruiting the point guard position than he is at recruiting the other four positions is extremely un thought out. It all stems from him missing out on a couple huge recruits that play point guard. We had a 4 year starter at that position who played on 3 pretty darn good teams. In fact, Gesell is the 3rd highest rated recruit Fran has landed.

I don't see any evidence that shows Fran is any worse at recruiting point guard than he is any other position. I do see evidence that shows he has a better eye for spotting good point guards early tho.

Last edited:
Scout lists it and it was discussed on here. Not sure why 247 didn't list it but not surprised Randy Peterson didn't know what he was talking about

http://www.scout.com/player/202231-donovan-jackson/recruiting?year=2015

Yeah I'm guessing he was the fallback if Bohannon didn't commit. Either that or it was a 2 offers, 1 scholly type of situation. Anyway, it appears Iowa didn't pursue him too hard I so think it would be a stretch to say they were beat out for this kid.

Yeah I'm guessing he was the fallback if Bohannon didn't commit. Either that or it was a 2 offers, 1 scholly type of situation. Anyway, it appears Iowa didn't pursue him too hard I so think it would be a stretch to say they were beat out for this kid.

They offered him before Bohannon. The writing was on the wall he wasn't coming here so he then offered Bohannon who accepted on the spot.

So it's settled: We are going to the NIT next year.

I am glad we got that out of the way.

Give me a break. You are making a case for something based upon your assumption that we will go to the NIT next year and it is June? That is one of the most idiotic things I have heard in a long time on this board. Even if we do only go NIT, it is idiotic to state it as a foregone conclusion in June, based upon what this staff has accomplished while at Iowa.
Remember in the Lick days when predicting an NIT appearance was considered optimistic?

They offered him before Bohannon. The writing was on the wall he wasn't coming here so he then offered Bohannon who accepted on the spot.
Link? You say that fairly definitively so you must have proof. It's not like either one was clearly the better recruit but at least with Bohannon you get 4 years.

Link? You say that fairly definitively so you must have proof. It's not like either one was clearly the better recruit but at least with Bohannon you get 4 years.

I already linked that we offered Jackson weeks before Bohannon. All 8 guys I listed were better recruits than Bohannon which is why Fran offered them first. I think he'll end up being a solid role player but we were in a prime position to pick up a stud with the playing time we had to offer which is why many were disappointed in how it all turned out at the time

I already linked that we offered Jackson weeks before Bohannon. All 8 guys I listed were better recruits than Bohannon which is why Fran offered them first. I think he'll end up being a solid role player but we were in a prime position to pick up a stud with the playing time we had to offer which is why many were disappointed in how it all turned out at the time

Which link shows that Jackson is a better recruit? I haven't seen that one.

Which link shows that Jackson is a better recruit? I haven't seen that one.

He's rated higher in 247 for one but the biggest thing is he had multiple major conference offers while Bohannon had none. Every recruit I listed including Jackson was better than Bohannon, if you disagree with that I'm fairly certain you don't know how recruiting works.

Fran not landing an elite point guard is not a fail on his part so much as it's a reflection on how shallow the top PG pool is. He offers many of them but they end up usually going to elite programs, or programs a little higher than Iowa in the pecking order right now.

Elite point guards, in a sense, are like QBs in the NFL. There are 32 NFL teams but only maybe half of the teams have good to elite quality QBs.

He's rated higher in 247 for one but the biggest thing is he had multiple major conference offers while Bohannon had none. Every recruit I listed including Jackson was better than Bohannon, if you disagree with that I'm fairly certain you don't know how recruiting works.

So 247 is the only site that rates him slightly higher. I think it's fair to say that neither one is clearly a better recruit. Had Iowa signed Jackson, would you have been less disappointed or would you be singing the same tune?

http://verbalcommits.com/players/donovan-jackson

http://verbalcommits.com/players/jordan-bohannon

So 247 is the only site that rates him slightly higher. I think it's fair to say that neither one is clearly a better recruit. Had Iowa signed Jackson, would you have been less disappointed or would you be singing the same tune?

http://verbalcommits.com/players/donovan-jackson

http://verbalcommits.com/players/jordan-bohannon

I would have been much happier with Jackson. He clearly had a much better offer list and was offered before Bohannon. Not rocket science here

I would have been much happier with Jackson. He clearly had a much better offer list and was offered before Bohannon. Not rocket science here

So why do you think more recruiting sites are rating Bohannon higher than Jackson?

So why do you think more recruiting sites are rating Bohannon higher than Jackson?

Which site ranks Bohannon higher? Please tell me you're not going to reference ESPN since they're the worst basketball recruiting service and don't even evaluate JUCOs. Heck they have Kriener as a 0 star and don't even have Daily as a commit. Rivals, Scout and 247 are the reputable sites but I really only look at offers

Which site ranks Bohannon higher? Please tell me you're not going to reference ESPN since they're the worst basketball recruiting service and don't even evaluate JUCOs. Heck they have Kriener as a 0 star and don't even have Daily as a commit. Rivals, Scout and 247 are the reputable sites but I really only look at offers

I provided the links above, you can look for yourself. Basically my point is, there are people who follow recruiting for a living who don't share the opinion that you are trying to pass along as fact. My final question for you is why are you so quick to disparage Iowa players and quick to defend ISU players?

I provided the links above, you can look for yourself. Basically my point is, there are people who follow recruiting for a living who don't share the opinion that you are trying to pass along as fact. My final question for you is why are you so quick to disparage Iowa players and quick to defend ISU players?

You're referencing Verbal Commits? Haha wow.

I've been pretty steadfast in my opinion I didn't like the Bohannon signing but I'm not defending an ISU player. I would have rather had the 7 other guys I listed above Jackson but all those players listed had major conference offers and Bohannon didn't. I really wanted Moore or Vital too when I thought we had a chance

Hmm who was the first person in this thread to reference Verbal Commits? Where do you think I got the link to Jackson's profile? Now that it contradicts your opinion it's garbage, eh?

This isn't the first time you've hijacked a thread to defend an ISU player (or former one). It's fine that you are a fan. Just be an adult and admit it.

Latest posts