Joe Wieskamp Going Through NBA Draft Process

Careful, I get absolutely crucified around here when I even suggest that a player isn’t NBA material. I love Peter Jok and Uthoff as Hawks but when I said they weren’t NBAers you would have thought I killed everyone’s dogs.

Well guess what???

It’s a good thing I wasn’t here when Mitch King didn’t get drafted because I said the same thing then about him not getting drafted. I cringed when he showed up to the draft because we all had to sit there and watch him not get his name called.

Wieskamp is and will be one of the best Hawkeye basketball players to come around in a long time, but he’s not an NBA guy.

I will say this about you: Your eye for talent is usually on par. Your skeptical nature allows you to be unencumbered by typical fandom over hype. A fair amount of the time this allows you to be correct about the fringe guys.

However Weiskamp is the most well rounded Freshman that I believe Iowa has ever had in my lifetime. The kid has the speed, hops, handles, vision and a stroke. Injury is the only thing that keeps Weiskamp out of the NBA. Book it! We can bet on it now. I am bullish on this topic and will back it with a large sum. How confident are you?

I will say this about you: Your eye for talent is usually on par. Your skeptical nature allows you to be unencumbered by typical fandom over hype. A fair amount of the time this allows you to be correct about the fringe guys.

However Weiskamp is the most well rounded Freshman that I believe Iowa has ever had in my lifetime. The kid has the speed, hops, handles, vision and a stroke. Injury is the only thing that keeps Weiskamp out of the NBA. Book it! We can bet on it now. I am bullish on this topic and will back it with a large sum. How confident are you?
I take it you weren’t around during the Raveling recruiting era. I love Weiskamp but he doesn’t see the floor on the 86-88 teams that had as many as 13 guys that went on to play professionally...many in the NBA. So...you must be talking about the AR or “after Raveling “ period when we quit recruiting talent

He's probably the best I've seen outside of Lester and maybe Bobby Hansen. Bobby could compete with anyone. Joe kind of disappears with certain matchups. But unloads way beyond those 2 when he's matched up well.

I take it you weren’t around during the Raveling recruiting era. I love Weiskamp but he doesn’t see the floor on the 86-88 teams that had as many as 13 guys that went on to play professionally...many in the NBA. So...you must be talking about the AR or “after Raveling “ period when we quit recruiting talent

1991 marks the beginning of my cognitive memory of Iowa sports. So no I never experienced the 86-88 team live. I have seen many hours of footage though of our Basketball glory years.

Overall talent during the Raveling years was higher. However none of that changes my opinion of Joe Weiskamp. He would have started then just as now.

P.S. comparing a kid that you have seen play 1 year of college ball to finished product players that you fondly remember from 30 years ago is disingenuous. Reminiscing is not reality.

He's probably the best I've seen outside of Lester and maybe Bobby Hansen. Bobby could compete with anyone. Joe kind of disappears with certain matchups. But unloads way beyond those 2 when he's matched up well.

The disappearing during stretches could be a sign of limitations that could lower JW's overall ceiling, or they may just be a reflection of a freshman getting his feet wet. It's tough to say. It's much easier to see the tools when displayed and determine that with proper cultivation the kid is a slam dunk pro.

1991 marks the beginning of my cognitive memory of Iowa sports. So no I never experienced the 86-88 team live. I have seen many hours of footage though of our Basketball glory years.

Overall talent during the Raveling years was higher. However none of that changes my opinion of Joe Weiskamp. He would have started then just as now.

P.S. comparing a kid that you have seen play 1 year of college ball to finished product players that you fondly remember from 30 years ago is disingenuous. Reminiscing is not reality.
Lol. Kevin Gamble made one of the biggest shots in Iowa basketball history and played on a 30-5 team. One of the best teams in Iowa history. A team that would have drilled this recent iowa team by 30 plus points. He went on to play 11 seasons in the NBA. We also had a decent player on that team named Roy Marble. Not sure if you’ve heard of him or not. He wasn’t a bad watch either, only finished as the leading scorer in Iowa basketball history ( on loaded teams so that’s saying something). I love Joe W, but please. Slow your roll young man

Last edited:
Lol. Kevin Gamble made one of the biggest shots in Iowa basketball history and played on a 30-5 team. One of the best teams in Iowa history. A team that would have drilled this recent iowa team by 30 plus points. He went on to play 11 seasons in the NBA. We also had a decent player on that team named Roy Marble. Not sure if you’ve heard of him or not. He wasn’t a bad watch either, only finished as the leading scorer in Iowa basketball history ( on loaded teams so that’s saying something). I love Joe W, but please. Slow your roll young man

you are comparing a true freshman to upper classmen , altho the 30-5 team Roy , BJ , and Ed were Sophs , not sure any of them were better than Joe when they were freshmen , with Raveling coaching them then , they did not do what Joe has for the season , Roy had a couple games that were beyond good , not sure his season matched up tho

you are comparing a true freshman to upper classmen , altho the 30-5 team Roy , BJ , and Ed were Sophs , not sure any of them were better than Joe when they were freshmen , with Raveling coaching them then , they did not do what Joe has for the season , Roy had a couple games that were beyond good , not sure his season matched up tho
Marble had 28, 29 point performances in his second and third games as a freshman. He hit the ground running and never looked back. He led the team in scoring all four years he played. Gamble was an outstanding slasher, especially cutting across the lane to his right. He also moved well without the ball and was the beneficiary of many of Marble's assists. Wies as a freshman was probably a better overall player than Gamble, who was still in juco as a freshman. But Marble showed he belonged from day one. He moved Gerry Wright to power forward, Al Lorenzen to the post, and Brad Lohaus to the bench.

Gamble's 1987 NCAA run is legendary. He shot nearly 80% for the entire tournament. His foul trouble vs UNLV, and Vegas going to a smaller more periemter oriented lineup, were killers in that fateful game

I’m saying they were better players than joe will end up being is all I’m saying. That’s certainly not a knock on joe as we are talking about some of the very best in the history of the program from one of the better teams in our history. I’m not getting into the semantics of comparing freshman yrs. to me that isn’t relevant anyway. Gamble came from a jc and marble played for Raveling who couldn’t coach his way out of a wet paper bag. I was simply comparing upside or ultimate ability

I’m saying they were better players than joe will end up being is all I’m saying. That’s certainly not a knock on joe as we are talking about some of the very best in the history of the program from one of the better teams in our history. I’m not getting into the semantics of comparing freshman yrs. to me that isn’t relevant anyway. Gamble came from a jc and marble played for Raveling who couldn’t coach his way out of a wet paper bag. I was simply comparing upside or ultimate ability

If Joe were likely to play 4 years here then I would bet that he breaks Marbles scoring record. Since that is unlikely it will be impossible to prove he is better so we will just have to settle for a draw when Joe gets drafted to the NBA. In case you are doubting, don't worry you wont have to wait long to be proven wrong.

If Joe were likely to play 4 years here then I would bet that he breaks Marbles scoring record. Since that is unlikely it will be impossible to prove he is better so we will just have to settle for a draw when Joe gets drafted to the NBA. In case you are doubting, don't worry you wont have to wait long to be proven wrong.
Whether he breaks Roy’s scoring record is irrelevant to the discussion to me.

Whether he breaks Roy’s scoring record is irrelevant to the discussion to me.

So you're now saying that Roy Marble will unequivocally be better all time than Joe W even if Joe were to stay long enough to break his scoring record? You will have to explain that logic to me.

So you're now saying that Roy Marble will unequivocally be better all time than Joe W even if Joe were to stay long enough to break his scoring record? You will have to explain that logic to me.

Yes, he is saying no matter what Joe does, in his eyes, he'll never be better than Roy. Welcome to fighting on the internet in 2019.

I wonder if all the people who called out Cook for doing this will bust on Joe as well?

I think the reaction to Cook was mostly hind-sight and tainted by the horrible 17-18 season.

Cook was the king-turd of a crap-pile after that dismal season. It was hard to fathom anyone from that team being NBA caliber. Than, as other's mentioned, free eval and coaching presumably = improvement in deficiencies. Saw little to none with Cook, Soph to Jr year.

TC is what he is - athletic, good around the rim (dunks and rebounds), decent free-throw shooter, horrible jump-shooter, below average handles, marginal on D. If he would've focused on being the next "Rodman" and gotten even more physical / aggressive in his strengths (and been utilized properly in the offense) I think people would've accepted he had a legit role at the next level. Instead, he looked even "worse" because he was trying to improve his skill set and looked bad doing so, which overshadowed his legit skills.

I don't bag TC for his NBA aspirations. I bag him for thinking he's got an "all-around" game that can translate to the top rotation at next level, right now.

JoeVies has far-more all-around talent / skills than TC. He's not ready, now, but he has the unquestionable potential to be by his jr year.

Yes. Because just because you break a scoring record doesn’t necessarily make you a better player. It’s similar as the people that build up kf as something he isn’t based on wins. You have to be a deeper thinker than that

Yes. Because just because you break a scoring record doesn’t necessarily make you a better player. It’s similar as the people that build up kf as something he isn’t based on wins. You have to be a deeper thinker than that

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion. Even if it is a garbage one.

Yes, he is saying no matter what Joe does, in his eyes, he'll never be better than Roy. Welcome to fighting on the internet in 2019.

What I don't get is why so many people think that their perception, perspective and opinions are somehow universal fact. Why is it so hard to realize that an opinion is subjective? How hard is it to state one's opinions as such?

What I don't get is why so many people think that their perception, perspective and opinions are somehow universal fact. Why is it so hard to realize that an opinion is subjective? How hard is it to state one's opinions as such?

It's pretty important to be right in 2019 on the internet. Look, I get what you're saying, but is having an open mind and listening to someone else's view point REALLY that important? What does anyone gain that way? Not any knowledge. Wouldn't you rather just say "hey, no matter what, this is how it is" and completely shit on everyone else opinion? That's the American way.

They already have a bunch of money stuck in the G-league but it’s a flop because it doesn’t make any money. Nobody wants to buy a ticket to it because in sports, people want to either watch major conference college ball, or NBA; nothing in between. Same for all other sports.

The G-League is a flop in that it is not profitable. But the G-League is a great success in that NBA teams are investing money in it knowing full well that it will not be profitable. They love having it as a minor-league system and as a laboratory to test players, coaches, and strategies. So it is no more a flop than minor-league baseball systems, which also do not make money. It is anticipated to grow, and I believe the accompanying salaries are projected to grow as well.

This is discussed by The Ringer on a piece about why the AAF failed.