Joe Wieskamp Going Through NBA Draft Process

I don't know that I "like" it either, but like it or not, it's how the game is now and it's a risk free benefit for the kids. The season is for being a team and for that concept, the off season is for individual growth. The players are afforded this now and IMO, it's a missed opportunity if they DON'T take advantage of it. It's also not a bad thing for Iowa if it has players the testing the waters in regards to recruiting.
It literally has no impact

What they should do is stop calling it the “NBA draft process” when we’re talking about kids who are obviously coming back.

There’d be a whole lot less media hype with this shit if they just set up an “NBA evaluation” week where anyone could come to get looked at and get feedback. Because that’s all it is.

I’m calling it right now that Wieskamp will play three more years here. Not because he’s a bad basketball player, but because I don’t think he’s at the level of a leave-early talent.
Folks, we have a winner. The cold hard reality is this. Iowa basketball simply doesn’t recruit and land NBA level talent. Period. Not since Raveling. With extremely rare exceptions. Joe is a very nice player that has worked extremely hard at his game and has special homegrown talent we rarely find at his position. Having said that, he is somewhat of a tweener from an NBA standpoint. Has nice wing size without the handles or quicks needed at the next level. Folks, I don’t think you realize just how unbelievably difficult it is to make an NBA roster.

Folks, I don’t think you realize just how unbelievably difficult it is to make an NBA roster.
Careful, I get absolutely crucified around here when I even suggest that a player isn’t NBA material. I love Peter Jok and Uthoff as Hawks but when I said they weren’t NBAers you would have thought I killed everyone’s dogs.

Well guess what???

It’s a good thing I wasn’t here when Mitch King didn’t get drafted because I said the same thing then about him not getting drafted. I cringed when he showed up to the draft because we all had to sit there and watch him not get his name called.

Wieskamp is and will be one of the best Hawkeye basketball players to come around in a long time, but he’s not an NBA guy.

Careful, I get absolutely crucified around here when I even suggest that a player isn’t NBA material. I love Peter Jok and Uthoff as Hawks but when I said they weren’t NBAers you would have thought I killed everyone’s dogs.

Well guess what???

It’s a good thing I wasn’t here when Mitch King didn’t get drafted because I said the same thing then about him not getting drafted. I cringed when he showed up to the draft because we all had to sit there and watch him not get his name called.

Wieskamp is and will be one of the best Hawkeye basketball players to come around in a long time, but he’s not an NBA guy.
Is Uthoff still in the NBA? last I heard he was hanging with Dallas (I believe it was the Mavs) but that was a few years ago

Well guess what???

I think Joe is a lot like Bobby Hansen. Both about 6'6" both can shoot, solid at the free throw line, both high IQ guys as far as basketball goes,and probably good enough at the defensive end. I could see Joe playing someday in the NBA. I think Bobby had success with a couple of teams in the league.

Let me be the first to utter the famous words many will speak, "Say it ain't so, Joe!", if the day comes that he announces he is leaving the Hawkeyes early. Have been envisioning a GREAT 4 YEAR CAREER to witness out of the born and bred Hawkeye. These dang kids and their dreams! What about ours?!

Folks, I don’t think you realize just how unbelievably difficult it is to make an NBA roster.
It is incredibly difficult to crack an NBA roster, which is why this is a great opportunity for Joe to learn what he needs to improve on if he dreams of playing in the NBA one day. Maybe he will get there, maybe he won’t, but this process should only help him.

There really is no negative at all for players to sign up for feedback. If anything, it's a positive for Iowa to have players that (realistically or unrealistically) have NBA aspirations.

Frankly, it's refreshing that we now have players that at least have a glimmer of hope. You sure as hell know that Little Lick never stared in the mirror and thought, "Why not me?"

Well guess what???

You should have seen what happened when I said Pat McCaffery wasn't a Top 30 recruit.

Why wouldnt you see what you need to improve. I think he has a lot to do before ge is a NBA player. But whatever helps our program cool.

Time for a serious change in BB. NBA needs to dump a bunch of money into a minor league system. Get rid of the one year rule. Let colleges take the kids that want an education and those that want to play BB need to go to the minors.

Good for Joe. This can only help. He's already a 42% 3 point shooter, so hopefully he can round out the rest of his game.

To those people freaking out...get a grip. He's not leaving for the NBA right now. Also, its his life and his dream, quit being a selfish douchenozzle.

Why wouldnt you see what you need to improve. I think he has a lot to do before ge is a NBA player. But whatever helps our program cool.

Time for a serious change in BB. NBA needs to dump a bunch of money into a minor league system. Get rid of the one year rule. Let colleges take the kids that want an education and those that want to play BB need to go to the minors.
They already have a bunch of money stuck in the G-league but it’s a flop because it doesn’t make any money. Nobody wants to buy a ticket to it because in sports, people want to either watch major conference college ball, or NBA; nothing in between. Same for all other sports.

Eliminating the one and done rule will get rid of the Romeo Langfords and Zion Williamsons, but you’re still going to have a flood of guys who leave after their sophomore and junior years because they are really good, but might not have been pro-ready straight out of high school.

It’s just the way sports is going to be from here on out. The top 15-20 programs are going to be revolving doors because of the money and hype at the NBA level. The only way to stop it would be for the NBA to require players to be 22 and that isn’t gonna happen.

And really, at Iowa we aren’t going to have to worry about it in basketball. Our history in no way attracts kids good enough to leave early. If it did, we’d be a consistently successful program.

Our football team is beginning to be subjected to that issue, but I say it’s a good problem to have. I don’t want to all of a sudden go back to not having a bunch of really good players just for the sake of having those players stay for 4 years. It’s happening everywhere else so in my opinion, if you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em.

Last edited:
Good for Joe. This can only help. He's already a 42% 3 point shooter, so hopefully he can round out the rest of his game.

To those people freaking out...get a grip. He's not leaving for the NBA right now. Also, its his life and his dream, quit being a selfish douchenozzle.
I will say though, if you test the process on upgrading to the Rivals pay boards and hint at leaving HN, I’m gonna freak the F out.

It literally has no impact

You are wrong. It has a lot of impact. It had a lot of impact in the 80's and 90's on the Iowa program when it regularly had guys getting drafted (26 players in 20 years). I'd say it used to have an impact.

It has impact on the player (a lot of them get great feed back and a renewed outlook on their game and coaching) and it has an impact on the program and its perception. A lot of guys who test the water come back the next season and play with a different purpose and you can tell they worked on flaws.

Iowa has had 2 players drafted recently with Marble and White. Uthoff had a cup of coffee. None of them made the NBA. You are absolutely correct in that it is one of the toughest sports to make a roster spot but it has an impact on recruiting when you have proof that you can get guys drafted. The more you have the better.

Before Fran got here there was 1 player drafted in the 2000's at Iowa. There weren't even many players in the minors or playing over seas. Now, it's not the norm, but it's happening at a higher rate and players are making professional careers that played at Iowa. That's HUGE. They sell that. They all want to play in the NBA, but the fact is, there are only so many spots open a year. Iowa does not recruit at that level, but if they want to they gotta crawl before they walk and IMO, you've seen Fran's recruiting slowly getting better over time due to success and the players he's developed and gotten there.