Joe Wieskamp Going Through NBA Draft Process

Roy struggled with outside shooting. I don't think he struggled as bad in the half court as you remember. Not with 2,116 career points and not with all the trips he made to the free throw line, which generally counts as half court offense.

This is a difficult comparison anyway. You're comparing two different skill sets in eras that a thirty years apart. It will be interesting to see how Joe's career numbers stack up.
Iowa was a crazy good fast break team Roy got many points in transition and he played good defense, creating scoring opportunities. I stand by his frustration in the half court game when a team managed to slow us down. He was always trying to fine tune his shot, with the game on the line he did not trust it. The best shot of his career came a 1/2 second late against Minnesota.

Joe and Roy are not really the two we should be comparing. TC and Roy really are probable the closest in their careers at Iowa. Both freakish athletes without a jumpshot. If Roy Sr. could have shot the 3 like his son, Hall of Fame player.

Iowa was a crazy good fast break team Roy got many points in transition and he played good defense, creating scoring opportunities. I stand by his frustration in the half court game when a team managed to slow us down. He was always trying to fine tune his shot, with the game on the line he did not trust it. The best shot of his career came a 1/2 second late against Minnesota.
That shot should have counted. It was a length of the court pass similiar to this year's Rutgers game. In both cases, the 1989 Minnesota game and this February's Rutgers game, the clock started early. It didn't matter against Rutgers. It did against Minnesota. Also, band members that day were reflecting lights off their instruments and into the eyes of our free throw shooters. I'd be shocked if we shot 60% and it may have been a lot less.

Back to Roy, I saw those games, many of them in person. Yes, he had an inconsistent shot. Yes, we played uptempo when possible. But again, he scored 2,116 points. I'm guessing a good many of them were in half court sets. He was active around the basket, sneaking in for tip ins and lay ins. He scored many of points that way. Alley oop plays. They all added up, some of them in a quiet manner.

I was glad to see Joe finish the season without getting hurt. He looks like he needs a year on the weights at least. He is an exceptional shooter, and has a high basketball I.Q. . It will be interesting to see how his strength develops. The guy is a good player.

That's not true either. I am trying to look at it from a fairly unbiased stand point. Iowa plays as good as schedule as any team year in and year out in the P5. Some years are up and some years down, depends on the strength of their opponent is on a given year. Guess what, that's how it works for every team. If that's biased, then prove me wrong. Who plays tougher schedules every season? What coach IS facing a gauntlet? The burden of proof lies with you but here's a clue, I'll shoot holes in whatever team sans maybe 1 or 2 every season.

That's the point, you are the one with bias because you're making blanket accusations with not a trace of evidence to back it up. Do you know the B1G West record vs the East? It's closer then you think. Do you know the B1G West record in bowl games vs the east? Vs the SEC? Might make ya think instead of just bringing up old myths and what ESPN tells ya.

Look at how other teams schedule? Before the B1G went to a 9 game schedule a few years ago, Iowa was one of the few programs in the country that annually faced 2 p5 opponents in their OOC. It is what it is, but ISU kind of hamstrung them, so they typically faced another test like a Pitt or Arizona State etc. The SEC wasn't doing that. They still aren't. Hiding in B1G West? Haha. There is no hiding in power 5 football. Teams get exposed for their weaknesses every season.

You can't live your life in a vacuum. Compare Iowa to their peers and they stack up pretty well.
Oldhawk has proven time and again he knows absolutely nothing about strength of schedule. He uses nobody else's metric, just his own, which is stupid.

Lol. Kevin Gamble made one of the biggest shots in Iowa basketball history and played on a 30-5 team. One of the best teams in Iowa history. A team that would have drilled this recent iowa team by 30 plus points. He went on to play 11 seasons in the NBA. We also had a decent player on that team named Roy Marble. Not sure if you’ve heard of him or not. He wasn’t a bad watch either, only finished as the leading scorer in Iowa basketball history ( on loaded teams so that’s saying something). I love Joe W, but please. Slow your roll young man

I was at the Kingdome for this shot

Unforgetable

That was the best Hawkeye team that I have ever seen, and I have watched all of them from Ralph Miller's big ten undefeated champs. That team was on a par with Mr. Davis's first year team.....

Hawks could have been National Champ wtih both those teams, but that is an elusive trophy to add to the shelf

:cool:

That shot should have counted. It was a length of the court pass similiar to this year's Rutgers game. In both cases, the 1989 Minnesota game and this February's Rutgers game, the clock started early. It didn't matter against Rutgers. It did against Minnesota. Also, band members that day were reflecting lights off their instruments and into the eyes of our free throw shooters. I'd be shocked if we shot 60% and it may have been a lot less.

Back to Roy, I saw those games, many of them in person. Yes, he had an inconsistent shot. Yes, we played uptempo when possible. But again, he scored 2,116 points. I'm guessing a good many of them were in half court sets. He was active around the basket, sneaking in for tip ins and lay ins. He scored many of points that way. Alley oop plays. They all added up, some of them in a quiet manner.

Roy didn't shoot a ton of threes. He didn't need to. He averaged 1.6 threes per game his senior year. His 3 point percentage was close to 49%: .396, BJ was .397. However, Roy did have his games especially at Illinois near the end of the regular season his senior year. Lou Henson said he had never anyone play against him like Roy did that game. I believe had 37/38 points that game, a losing cause. Illinois won 118-94.

The Hawkeyes were ranked in the Top Ten, 22 weeks that year and came within a Ray Thompson suspension in the NCAA tournament from making a run to the Final Four. Rodney Monroe destroyed them the second game of the tournament. They lost by 6 in a double OT game. Ray was perhaps the best defender on the team and could have stopped Monroe from having the game of his life againt the Hawks.....

Alack and Alas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988–89_Iowa_Hawkeyes_men's_basketball_team

What could have been will always be with us

From Having to play for the National Championship against Bill Russel and the San Francisco Dons

To losing Connie Hawkins his freshman year because he said hello to someone who was a know gambler at MSG during Christmas vacation

Damn

Connie Hawkins would, on occasion, take two basketballs, dribble both of them the full length of the floor, and then simultaneously dunk both of them. Saw it.

Connie Hawkins would, on occasion, take two basketballs, dribble both of them the full length of the floor, and then simultaneously dunk both of them. Saw it.

Friend of mine from DM was on the freshman team with Connie and told me about that

We could have made the Final Four 3 years in a row with Connie on the team

There have only been so many players with his skill level ever

Roy didn't shoot a ton of threes. He didn't need to. He averaged 1.6 threes per game his senior year. His 3 point percentage was close to 49%: .396, BJ was .397. However, Roy did have his games especially at Illinois near the end of the regular season his senior year. Lou Henson said he had never anyone play against him like Roy did that game. I believe had 37/38 points that game, a losing cause. Illinois won 118-94.

The Hawkeyes were ranked in the Top Ten, 22 weeks that year and came within a Ray Thompson suspension in the NCAA tournament from making a run to the Final Four. Rodney Monroe destroyed them the second game of the tournament. They lost by 6 in a double OT game. Ray was perhaps the best defender on the team and could have stopped Monroe from having the game of his life againt the Hawks.....

Alack and Alas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988–89_Iowa_Hawkeyes_men's_basketball_team

What could have been will always be with us

From Having to play for the National Championship against Bill Russel and the San Francisco Dons

To losing Connie Hawkins his freshman year because he said hello to someone who was a know gambler at MSG during Christmas vacation

Damn

Mr. Davis coached in the All Star Classic in Orlando after the 1989 season. Roy was MVP, BJ got sent home early when he busted his hand. That post-season get-together was LOADED with talent, including Kenny Battle, Kendall Gill, Stacey King, George McCloud, Dana Barros, Todd Lichti, et. al. I'm pretty sure Glen Rice was scheduled to be there but backed out.

The Orlando Iowa Club hosted a get-together with Mr. Davis and his wife. They couldn't have nicer people. At a Q & A session someone asked for Ray Thompson's status, with the answer being, "I really can't comment on that". When asked about BJ's status, his answer was, "It's really hard for a kid to sit by and watch everyone else at this type of event. It's harder when he wants to support teammates and friends, but even harder when he knows he has to get back to make sure an injury won't derail a season, or maybe more". Luckily it was just a basic fracture that healed normally. When asked about draft prospects for the three seniors (BJ, Roy, Ed), he was visibly proud, and said that a lot of the NBA depends on "good fit", but he expected all three to have good prospects.

Nobody asked, but we all speculated that Ed Horton was never the same after he fouled Jay Burson form Ohio State, ending Burson's season (Burson had to have a halo because of a neck fracture). Ed seemed "tentative" the last part of the season.

I was at the Kingdome for this shot

Unforgetable

That was the best Hawkeye team that I have ever seen, and I have watched all of them from Ralph Miller's big ten undefeated champs. That team was on a par with Mr. Davis's first year team.....

Hawks could have been National Champ wtih both those teams, but that is an elusive trophy to add to the shelf

that was a tough OU team, also. yeah, the original KG. :)

i really wonder why iowa stopped getting that type of talent. george raveling was an outstanding recruiter.

Mr. Davis coached in the All Star Classic in Orlando after the 1989 season. Roy was MVP, BJ got sent home early when he busted his hand. That post-season get-together was LOADED with talent, including Kenny Battle, Kendall Gill, Stacey King, George McCloud, Dana Barros, Todd Lichti, et. al. I'm pretty sure Glen Rice was scheduled to be there but backed out.

The Orlando Iowa Club hosted a get-together with Mr. Davis and his wife. They couldn't have nicer people. At a Q & A session someone asked for Ray Thompson's status, with the answer being, "I really can't comment on that". When asked about BJ's status, his answer was, "It's really hard for a kid to sit by and watch everyone else at this type of event. It's harder when he wants to support teammates and friends, but even harder when he knows he has to get back to make sure an injury won't derail a season, or maybe more". Luckily it was just a basic fracture that healed normally. When asked about draft prospects for the three seniors (BJ, Roy, Ed), he was visibly proud, and said that a lot of the NBA depends on "good fit", but he expected all three to have good prospects.

Nobody asked, but we all speculated that Ed Horton was never the same after he fouled Jay Burson form Ohio State, ending Burson's season (Burson had to have a halo because of a neck fracture). Ed seemed "tentative" the last part of the season.

Completely forgot about the Burson incident. Eddie played strong for certain. Makes sense that if would affect his play afterwards.....

I can still hear BJ, after Ed got a rebound yelling:

Eddie,.Eddie, Eddie.....to get his attention and pass the ball quickly

Could hear it over the sneakers squealing and squeaking

Oldhawk has proven time and again he knows absolutely nothing about strength of schedule. He uses nobody else's metric, just his own, which is stupid.
C’mon Man!
You could have helped save the planet by putting the period after “nothing”
and stopped.

Completely forgot about the Burson incident. Eddie played strong for certain. Makes sense that if would affect his play afterwards.....

I can still hear BJ, after Ed got a rebound yelling:

Eddie,.Eddie, Eddie.....to get his attention and pass the ball quickly

Could hear it over the sneakers squealing and squeaking

I keep hearing innuendo about recruiting malfeasance in that 1987 group. Jon makes reference to it frequently. Anyone have real dirt? I was there then and we didn't hear anything off about the bball team other than nose candy references.
Ed Horton once came to a party at our house...

I keep hearing innuendo about recruiting malfeasance in that 1987 group.

Ed Martin was a booster that helped Michigan get the Fraud Five and 2 vacated championship appearances. He was also close with Raveling and helped Iowa gain players. Roy Marble said after his playing days, "I came here because of Ed, not because of George."

Ed Martin--Sometimes I gave gifts to parents: cologne, cakes, a few dollars here or there, something like that. I gave a cake to Roy Marble when I went to Flint. And Terence Green, when he was a big star up at Flint, I left him a sweater. Marble, I bought him a sweater, too.

Can we get this thread back on track? If you want to reminisce about old Iowa teams start a new thread.