Joe Philbin

I posted this on another thread, but this topic deserves its own run. Short answer, highly unlikely.

The guy has not been in college ball for a long long time, so not sure if he wants to transition back to college this late in his career. But, given his connections to Iowa and his success as an OC at multiple stops, KF should pick up the phone. Look, if he has any interest, this is totally manageable if KF needs to keep his son on staff and protected.

BF could be named assistant head coach and OL coach. Or, he could be co-OC in charge of the run game. There is a title that does not look like a demotion. You put Brian back with OL and Joe coaching QBs and calling plays.

Again, I doubt he has interest, but this would be beyond an upgrade at QB and play calling.

Dude spent 3 years at Iowa and 20 in the NFL. Not sure he deserves to still be loved by Iowa fans

Dude spent 3 years at Iowa and 20 in the NFL. Not sure he deserves to still be loved by Iowa fans

We love our former coaches as long as they were good and weren't a disgrace to our program. I like Barry and Bert even though they coached at rivals. I like Bill Snyder. I like Philbin. I even like McCarney. Wasn't Philbin o-line coach on that 2002 team? Phil as DB coach was our best position coach in the Ferentz era, but Philbin's little stint on the line was pretty memorable as well.

I don't love or hate Philben. But, the guy is out a job and KF has a relationship with him. As stated, it seems unlikely he has any interest in returning to the college game, but its worth a phone call. He would be a clear upgrade at OC and maybe he has enough streeet cred with KF that he could run the offense the way he wants to.

Isn't he like 60 plus? I'm not so sure I'd be jumping up and down hoping to hire him. I mean as a last resort sure he's probably better then BF. (goes without saying) But we should still want to get the best fit we can get. I'm not sure he's that.

Isn't he like 60 plus? I'm not so sure I'd be jumping up and down hoping to hire him. I mean as a last resort sure he's probably better then BF. (goes without saying) But we should still want to get the best fit we can get. I'm not sure he's that.
Seriously? I think the dude is 61. That is a year older than Phil Parker and younger than KF. You need a list of highly successful coaches in their 60s? We have a HC well into the twilight of his career. I would take an experienced OC in the same age bracket to gear up and try to win some trophies the next couple years.

Seriously? I think the dude is 61. That is a year older than Phil Parker and younger than KF. You need a list of highly successful coaches in their 60s? We have a HC well into the twilight of his career. I would take an experienced OC in the same age bracket to gear up and try to win some trophies the next couple years.
Didn't work so well with G Davis did it?... I'd rather go after Gattis who won the Broyles, tore it up with Michigan beat OSU and has worked with Cade McNamara and All...

I know Philbin has been around forever but he's been in the pros since the early 2000s I'm not sure he would even want to come back to college.. I think we can do better.

Didn't work so well with G Davis did it?... I'd rather go after Gattis who won the Broyles, tore it up with Michigan beat OSU and has worked with Cade McNamara and All...

I know Philbin has been around forever but he's been in the pros since the early 2000s I'm not sure he would even want to come back to college.. I think we can do better.
There is no comparing Philbin's resume to Davis'. Both dudes are/were old. The comparison ends there. Philbin was an NFL head coach. He is overqualified for this gig. Davis was watching Matlock reruns with KF called.

I would rather have Gattis too, but beggars can't be choosers. Although we would like to believe that KF believes he needs a new OC, and he should be placing lots of phone calls in that regard, we are all likely fooling ourselves. But, if Philbin wanted to come back to Iowa as the OC, I would take him in a heartbeat.

There is no comparing Philbin's resume to Davis'. Both dudes are/were old. The comparison ends there. Philbin was an NFL head coach. He is overqualified for this gig. Davis was watching Matlock reruns with KF called.

I would rather have Gattis too, but beggars can't be choosers. Although we would like to believe that KF believes he needs a new OC, and he should be placing lots of phone calls in that regard, we are all likely fooling ourselves. But, if Philbin wanted to come back to Iowa as the OC, I would take him in a heartbeat.
Philbins claim to fame is being OC for Rodgers. Well you'd have to be a pretty bad OC to not have much success with him and some of the offenses they had. I mean he's over qualified compared to BF sure literally everyone with a pulse is. As HC he really didn't have much success and couldn't stick. If we can't get anyone else and Philbin wants it as a last resort you bet take him. But I'd do it reluctantly.

Philbins claim to fame is being OC for Rodgers. Well you'd have to be a pretty bad OC to not have much success with him and some of the offenses they had. I mean he's over qualified compared to BF sure literally everyone with a pulse is. As HC he really didn't have much success and couldn't stick. If we can't get anyone else and Philbin wants it as a last resort you bet take him. But I'd do it reluctantly.
The average stop for NFL coaches is 3-4 years. It is a volatile working industry and coaches come and go regularly. That Philbin has moved around, been fired, and had ups and downs is not remarkable.

Reluctantly? LOL

KF somehow convinces a guy to be his OC who has 25+ years of coaching, been an OC in college and the NFL, worked successfully with a HOF QB, and been a head NFL coach? Hell, we should all run naked down the Ped Mall if this were to happen. Its a fun hypothetical, but not way Philbin would be interested in this gig.

The average stop for NFL coaches is 3-4 years. It is a volatile working industry and coaches come and go regularly. That Philbin has moved around, been fired, and had ups and downs is not remarkable.

Reluctantly? LOL

KF somehow convinces a guy to be his OC who has 25+ years of coaching, been an OC in college and the NFL, worked successfully with a HOF QB, and been a head NFL coach? Hell, we should all run naked down the Ped Mall if this were to happen. Its a fun hypothetical, but not way Philbin would be interested in this gig.
Yes reluctantly. There's lots of OCs out there that have been having success the last 5 yrs that should be higher up the list. We always seem to settle. Bringing on Philbin would be exactly that settling...
Could he help and do better then BF? Absolutely. If it's one or the other give me Philbin. I'm just saying it shouldn't be either or...

Philbin also poached O'Keefe which paved the way for Davis to become OC. The guy has an eye for talent.

I honestly think that in the modern world with NIL and the portal a guy like Philbin could be a huge asset. We can sell playing time and a shot at the NFL. A guy who was an OC and HC in the League could help us land a few on the fence recruits and give dudes reasonable assessments of where they need to improve and a specific plan to get them to the league. Kurt has maybe a half decade left at best so Philbin's age ain't a concern for me. Get the band back together, get O'Keefe back on staff, bring Philbin back, we could easily win 13 or 14 games next year with that staff and the dudes we have coming in.

Philbin also poached O'Keefe which paved the way for Davis to become OC. The guy has an eye for talent.

I honestly think that in the modern world with NIL and the portal a guy like Philbin could be a huge asset. We can sell playing time and a shot at the NFL. A guy who was an OC and HC in the League could help us land a few on the fence recruits and give dudes reasonable assessments of where they need to improve and a specific plan to get them to the league. Kurt has maybe a half decade left at best so Philbin's age ain't a concern for me. Get the band back together, get O'Keefe back on staff, bring Philbin back, we could easily win 13 or 14 games next year with that staff and the dudes we have coming in.
Plus Mike Sherman was in the Philbin, O'Keefe and Kirk circle from their Worcester days. So at the point you probably bring Mike Sherman in too and end this thing the way they started.

I'm guessing Sherman is still close with Favre, too, so you could probably get Favre with that $100k consulting gig that Budmayr filled last season. Maybe he turns down the cash and just volunteers, seems like he something he'd do. Favre has always been a good mentor, both personally and professionally, for young men trying to find their way. Not hard to imagine that Petras might have a breakout year under his tutelage, either this fall or in 2024 if he needs a medical redshirt before getting healthy. The Manning boys said Petras was one of the stars at their camp last summer, so a year with Sherman and Favre maybe puts him in the pros in 2025.

Plus Mike Sherman was in the Philbin, O'Keefe and Kirk circle from their Worcester days. So at the point you probably bring Mike Sherman in too and end this thing the way they started.

I'm guessing Sherman is still close with Favre, too, so you could probably get Favre with that $100k consulting gig that Budmayr filled last season. Maybe he turns down the cash and just volunteers, seems like he something he'd do. Favre has always been a good mentor, both personally and professionally, for young men trying to find their way. Not hard to imagine that Petras might have a breakout year under his tutelage, either this fall or in 2024 if he needs a medical redshirt before getting healthy. The Manning boys said Petras was one of the stars at their camp last summer, so a year with Sherman and Favre maybe puts him in the pros in 2025.

I have seen a lot of good posts on this site. A lot. This right here, xir, is a top 5 all time post on this site. I like your optimism, I like your foresight, I like your ability to make connections and see things others can't, I like the writing style. Just a picture-perfect post.

When you have a football coach in his 60’s, this is reality. Hot young assistants aren’t banging down your door. And Kirk has never been one to be a natural attraction to them anyway. Philbin is more likely a best case scenario so they can hide Brian as “run game “ coordinator while coaching the line or tight ends or even running backs. One thing is certain…he’ll be set up for success in ‘23

Seriously, what did you smoke last night?

Word on the street when Philbin left is that he was tired of the recruiting aspect. Hard to see him wanting to return to the college ranks.
And he's been out of it damn near 20 yrs now.. If that's part of a reason why he did then it sure hasn't gotten any easier lately.

I get not enjoying sitting in a living room eating stale cake and kissing a 17 year old kids' ass, but I cannot imagine the grind of coaching in the NFL is any better. Again, I doubt he has any interest, but worth a phone call to see.