Joe Philbin

I wonder what role Goetz is playing in this process. Does she have to approve the new hire? A couple of times I've thought to myself whether Kirk and she talked and agreed Brian had to go but Kirk didn't want to be the one to fire his own son and they agreed she would do it. An interim AD making such a big decision? Just a thought.

Iowa's record while Brian was OC was 61-26, a 70% winning percentage. Not too shabby and a fairly high bar for the next OC, at least in Iowa Hawkeye terms. I hate to think how ugly it will be if the next OC doesn't produce.

I read Chad Leistikow's article and thought it informative. KF's not changing his philosophy, the new OC will understand that and be part of it. He needs an OC that will just get the O executed.

If Philbin is the hire, I'd be OK with that. At the prep school, weren't KF, Ken O'keefe coaches and Philbin a player. That's a pretty close tie for a long time, that has to mean something. The article did say he's on the list.

After reading thru all the posts in this thread I'm surprised there has only been one mention of Paul Chryst, at least that I saw. I find him an intriguing possibility. After watching all the Wisky offenses that Chryst has been part of with a really strong runniing game I think he'd be an obvious choice. I always respected the way he carried himself in pre and post game interviews, seemed like a class act, much like KF for that matter. I was surpsied when he got canned. All I could think that his recruiting had fallen off and he wassn't getting the same talent. But understanding the B1G, how to be successful in it, I don't think you could ask for more. He's currently an analyst at Texas as they prpare for the playoffs,not a bad calling card. If anything I'd think he'd could be a candidate for a head coaching job somewhere. KF did say there would be lots of coaches on the market come January.

No matter who gets the job, I'm guessing I'll like it. But I have lots of friends that no matter who they hire, they'll be against it.

Go Hawks

I wonder what role Goetz is playing in this process. Does she have to approve the new hire? A couple of times I've thought to myself whether Kirk and she talked and agreed Brian had to go but Kirk didn't want to be the one to fire his own son and they agreed she would do it. An interim AD making such a big decision? Just a thought.

Iowa's record while Brian was OC was 61-26, a 70% winning percentage. Not too shabby and a fairly high bar for the next OC, at least in Iowa Hawkeye terms. I hate to think how ugly it will be if the next OC doesn't produce.

I read Chad Leistikow's article and thought it informative. KF's not changing his philosophy, the new OC will understand that and be part of it. He needs an OC that will just get the O executed.

If Philbin is the hire, I'd be OK with that. At the prep school, weren't KF, Ken O'keefe coaches and Philbin a player. That's a pretty close tie for a long time, that has to mean something. The article did say he's on the list.

After reading thru all the posts in this thread I'm surprised there has only been one mention of Paul Chryst, at least that I saw. I find him an intriguing possibility. After watching all the Wisky offenses that Chryst has been part of with a really strong runniing game I think he'd be an obvious choice. I always respected the way he carried himself in pre and post game interviews, seemed like a class act, much like KF for that matter. I was surpsied when he got canned. All I could think that his recruiting had fallen off and he wassn't getting the same talent. But understanding the B1G, how to be successful in it, I don't think you could ask for more. He's currently an analyst at Texas as they prpare for the playoffs,not a bad calling card. If anything I'd think he'd could be a candidate for a head coaching job somewhere. KF did say there would be lots of coaches on the market come January.

No matter who gets the job, I'm guessing I'll like it. But I have lots of friends that no matter who they hire, they'll be against it.

Go Hawks
Goetz will have no role in it. Unless he was to hire someone else he's related to which he isn't she won't have a thing to do with it.

Honestly I haven't a clue where he's leaning. The two obvious ones are Philbin and Chryst. I think Chryst having recruiting ties in BIG and recent past success of running a similar O that Iowa would like to do should put him in the drivers seat. But who knows if he'd even want it.

But Philbin has history with KF. They go back aways and to KF that seems to give one a leg up. So this hire will be interesting. It seems like it's between those two from where I'm sitting but hell he could do something totally different and surprise us all.

If it's Philbin or Chryst, they ain't gonna come cheap. Probably $1.5M minimum. Budmayr you could probably get for $700k. Not that Iowa is on a tight budget.

If it's Philbin or Chryst, they ain't gonna come cheap. Probably $1.5M minimum. Budmayr you could probably get for $700k. Not that Iowa is on a tight budget.
Spend the money on this coach's salary demands and then get your ass on the road to raise more money, Ms. Goetz.

Absolutely zero role. Zilch.

You seem like an extremely smart guy, but I think you are also extremely naïve to the workings of college football.

This sport is run by very, very wealthy individuals who for the most part got to be very wealthy by having huge egos and not taking no for an answer.

People like Ted Pacha, Will Moon, Bruce Rastetter, Richard Jacobson, Henry Tippie, Roy Carver Jr., John Pappajohn, Brent Feller, et al did not get where they are by being normal people. They are unbelievably driven, sociopathic egomaniacs and this is nothing but another game for them, or conquest, if you will. Writing a $10 million dollar check to a college football team is not sane thing to do. It's something you do when you want to have the biggest swingin' dick in the room and make sure EVERYONE in that room knows it. They want to be the person who makes the mover and shaker decisions.

They have everything they could possibly ever want materially, but that doesn't satisfy these folks. What else is there when you've hit the max score on the video game? What's left for the guy who can write a check for a $20 million dollar house and buy 10 Lamborghinis if he feels like it? Power and influence are what's left. And they'll spend as much as they need to to feel like they have that perceived importance.

Hell, my boss gives six digits to football every year and 5 digits to wrestling, and he's not even towards the top of the leaderboard. Doesn't have his name on any buildings or rooms, but to him it's worth what to me is a fortune every 12 months to get his and his wife's names in programs and get some Scooby snacks like parking spots and tickets.

I don't have that gene. If I had 160 acres of farm ground inherited to me I'd have it sold before the sun set, quit my job, and no one other than my existing friends and family would ever hear from me again. No business ventures, no donations, no BMWs, no nothing but a secluded house on some property in Colorado where I can live under the radar and pay for a charter plane to take me around on vacations. I have no interest in recognition, power, or status. Which is probably why I'm where I'm at in life and that's ok.

These people ain't like that, my man. They pay a LOT of money to collectively run the show.

I don't have that gene. If I had 160 acres of farm ground inherited to me I'd have it sold before the sun set, quit my job, and no one other than my existing friends and family would ever hear from me again. No business ventures, no donations, no BMWs, no nothing but a secluded house on some property in Colorado where I can live under the radar and pay for a charter plane to take me around on vacations. I have no interest in recognition, power, or status. Which is probably why I'm where I'm at in life and that's ok.
But the real question is: Would you still post and moderate here?

You seem like an extremely smart guy, but I think you are also extremely naïve to the workings of college football.

This sport is run by extremely wealthy individuals who for the most part got to be extremely wealthy by having huge egos and not taking no for an answer.

People like Ted Pacha, Will Moon, Bruce Rastetter, Richard Jacobson, Henry Tippie, Roy Carver Jr., John Pappajohn, Brent Feller, et al did not get where they are by being normal people. They are unbelievably driven, sociopathic egomaniacs and this is nothing but another game for them, or conquest, if you will. Writing a $10 million dollar check to a college football team is not sane thing to do. It's something you do when you want to have the biggest swingin' dick in the room and make sure EVERYONE in that room knows it. They want to be the person who makes the mover and shaker decisions.

They have everything they could possibly ever want materially, but that doesn't satisfy these folks. What else is there when you've hit the max score on the video game? What's left for the guy who can write a check for a $20 million dollar house and buy 10 Lamborghinis if he feels like it? Power and influence are what's left. And they'll spend as much as they need to to feel like they have that perceived importance.

Hell, my boss gives six digits to football every year and 5 digits to wrestling, and he's not even towards the top of the leaderboard. Doesn't have his name on any buildings or rooms, but to him it's worth what to me is a fortune every 12 months to get his and his wife's names in programs and get some Scooby snacks like parking spots and tickets.

These people ain't like that, my man. They pay a LOT of money to collectively run the show.
To advance the point, the names appear on multiple lists. Put an Iowa Campaign report next to the U of I's donor, endowment list and you will see many identical names.

Spot on re: Goetz. BG was only involved with Brian due to a nepotism rule. That is a one-off situation not likely to arise again, unless someone objects to LB hiring her daughter. Goetz really does not have much of a role. Guessing its smart university politics to give KF a large salary budget.

Brian's fate was sealed when the donors rebelled. Too bad for Brian. Good for some other guy getting the job. Hopefully good for Iowa.

Last edited:
Brian's fate was sealed when the donors rebelled.
And Goetz is not going to be the one picking his replacement.

Don't get me wrong, I really like what I've seen from her so far and she's a MAJOR upgrade to Barry Farta, but she ain't making staffing decisions in the football program unless the person she's hiring or firing fills fridges with Gatorade and keeps bananas stocked in the football complex.

My post was responding to yours and Huck's posts together, which he has now said was a joke on his part. I will say, your last sentence you referenced Philbin being an offensive line coach, and said "sound familiar." Seemed like a shot at/comparison to BF to me.

And, Philbin was the Dolphins coach for 4 years, so yes, he rose to the level of a HC in the NFL. He wasn't amazing at it, but he didn't completely suck.

I agree with the last two paragraphs of your post above 100%
The gist of my thought remains. 1. Ferentz has nearly always been & will continue to be his ow OC 2. Ferentz isn’t going to seriously consider anyone outside his “circle” 3. Does philbin have some pedigree? Yes. But just like Brian, he’s an OL coach by trade…not a qb coach or even a natural OC.

Bottom line is…Ferentz will never change. Ever. He wants someone to champion the running game/OL play. Throwing the football is a 3rd & long endeavor & done conservatively at that. Few throws over the middle or down the field.

Go Hawks
I am a big fan of Paul C. for the reasons you mentioned. I live in Wisconsin, so followed his career pretty carefully. You are right. Class act, excellent coach, W. Job is very tough. Same problems we face at Iowa. why was he fired? “Familiarity breeds contempt.” Might be a lot like KF faces. Yeah. I think Philbin would be an equally solid hire. Not Budmyr, please. QB coach, maybe.

I am a big fan of Paul C. for the reasons you mentioned. I live in Wisconsin, so followed his career pretty carefully. You are right. Class act, excellent coach, W. Job is very tough. Same problems we face at Iowa. why was he fired? “Familiarity breeds contempt.” Might be a lot like KF faces. Yeah. I think Philbin would be an equally solid hire. Not Budmyr, please. QB coach, maybe.

If we've got shots at coaches like Philbin and Chryst, I don't see a Coach Bud being in the running.

Last edited:

This sport is run by very, very wealthy individuals who for the most part got to be very wealthy by having huge egos and not taking no for an answer.

I am 100% with you on this!! I would be a ghost! I always joke if I had my druthers, I would build a cabin/home out in the middle of nowhere and as long as I could get internet so I could watch sports, you would not see me. LOL. Great post and this is just a microcosm of how the world works. The 1% run it.

I get it, but seriously, there is almost nothing to lose. At this point, we could switch to a full house backfield and run Army's offense and the performance could not be much worse. Was it OSU last year where the stats suggested that if Iowa took a knee on every play they would have fared better than actually running the offense?

That said, a new OC does not mean a complete philosophy change. A pro style offense can work. We just need better teachers and playcallers and players. Easy peasy!
There's a lot to lose and I mean a lot. The last time Kirk changed out an O/C that wasn't his kid Iowa went 4-8. I am not interested in Iowa going 4-8 with a HC that's been in place for 24 seasons. Could the program rebound from something like that in the current climate and competitive league that is is the B1G? I sure don't want to find out. This change could be a disaster for Iowa. I know everyone is like "Look, it can't get worse then being the worse offense in the country" and I counter with - "yes, it can be much worse at Iowa then going 10-3 last season and 81-33 since 2015. What's there to lose? Almost everything imo. If this doesn't go well it could set things back pretty far.

To advance the point, the names appear on multiple lists. Put an Iowa Campaign report next to the U of I's donor, endowment list and you will see many identical names.

Spot on re: Goetz. BG was only involved with Brian due to a nepotism rule. That is a one-off situation not likely to arise again, unless someone objects to LB hiring her daughter. Goetz really does not have much of a role. Guessing its smart university politics to give KF a large salary budget.

Brian's fate was sealed when the donors rebelled. Too bad for Brian. Good for some other guy getting the job. Hopefully good for Iowa.

Brian was to report to the AD in that situation. Goetz was the interim AD so had the right to make the decision to not retain him.

I don't know who the OC will report to in the future and suspect it will be back to KF, so I don't think Goetz will really have the say in the hire.

I think it is that in a nutshell.

I am 100% with you on this!! I would be a ghost! I always joke if I had my druthers, I would build a cabin/home out in the middle of nowhere and as long as I could get internet so I could watch sports, you would not see me. LOL. Great post and this is just a microcosm of how the world works. The 1% run it.
I am 100% with you on this!! The only place I'd be seen is fast foot drive throughs and the Half Price Bookstore, and that shortly before closing time. That's my plan if I live long enough to retire.

Think those good thoughts and maybe you'll get that cabin in the woods.

A guy I used to hang with in my teens lives in Idaho on the Canadian border in a log cabin he built. He is in the middle of no where and loves it!

There's a lot to lose and I mean a lot. The last time Kirk changed out an O/C that wasn't his kid Iowa went 4-8. I am not interested in Iowa going 4-8 with a HC that's been in place for 24 seasons. Could the program rebound from something like that in the current climate and competitive league that is is the B1G? I sure don't want to find out. This change could be a disaster for Iowa. I know everyone is like "Look, it can't get worse then being the worse offense in the country" and I counter with - "yes, it can be much worse at Iowa then going 10-3 last season and 81-33 since 2015. What's there to lose? Almost everything imo. If this doesn't go well it could set things back pretty far.
It could but some around here would rather be entertained than win. And are butt hurt when national talking heads lampoon us. 81-33 doesn't mean squat to them because they will tell you about 25 of those losses would be wins with a modern offense.

They will never bring up that at least 25 wins would be losses if not for our defense and special teams.

Actually that number is probably conservative. A more accurate number would be in the 35-40 range.

Many say we shouldn't settle in football or basketball. What they don't say is that the type of coach who could win a at a blue blood level would never stay here long enough to sustain it. That we got nine years out of Lute all those years ago was a major coup.

A guy I used to hang with in my teens lives in Idaho on the Canadian border in a log cabin he built. He is in the middle of no where and loves it!
Sounds like he is related to the people in the movie “Deliverance”. Maybe he could be our QB coach since he would be used to having no one to throw to. …………… all sarcasm here this morning.

I wonder after the choice is made for OC if the coaches meetings will look like a geriatric ward meeting?

Latest posts